·
Premium Member
13,662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailinator /forum/post/0

Expectations?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoprice /forum/post/0

The MSUB-A122 is housed in an attractive black wood cabinet that measures 17" x 17.25" x 17.5" (H x W x D) and weighs about 9 lbs.

From a 12" subwoofer that weighs all of 9lbs., my expectations would be pretty low.

·
Premium Member
13,662 Posts
Hmmm...it probably is. The dimensions of the 8" sub are smaller, but it weighs the same 9lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoprice /forum/post/0

The MSUB-A082 is housed in an attractive black wood cabinet that measures 13.75" x 11.75" x 11.75" (H x W x D) and weighs about 9 lbs.

One of those HAS to be wrong!

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
The 12" goes down to 30 hz, hardly good enough for serious HT.

·
Registered
11,720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 /forum/post/20799003

The 12" goes down to 30 hz, hardly good enough for serious HT.

My guess is the people who are looking to drop $58-82 for a subwoofer are not really looking for serious HT.....

Would love to see Ricci test the 12" model

Instead of buying one good sub, you could by 10 of these babies.....

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
9 lbs? Cardboard enclosure? Cardboard driver? Ummm.....cardboard amp????

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I confirmed with Monoprice Tech Support that the 12" sub does in fact tip the scales at a whopping 9lbs.

Bend with your knees.

Reactions: Vauktu

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
My coffee cup weighs more than that.

Could it be the driver weighs at 9 lbs ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 /forum/post/20799418

I confirmed with Monoprice Tech Support that the 12" sub does in fact tip the scales at a whopping 9lbs.

Bend with your knees.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by qguy /forum/post/20799450

My coffee cup weighs more than that.

Could it be the driver weighs at 9 lbs ???

I asked the tech to confirm the weight and told him that inquiring minds on AVS Forum wanted to know. He said it was definitely 9lbs.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I guess its possible. 1/8" thick wood or lightweight plastic and a driver with a magnet that would fit on the back of a pair of fake earings.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
maybe it only has a Passive radiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash /forum/post/20799573

I guess its possible. 1/8" thick wood or lightweight plastic and a driver with a magnet that would fit on the back of a pair of fake earings.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
12" tin can with a string?

·
Vendor
93 Posts
Hi there posters!

Just to chime in, these are still fairly new items, so the 9lbs was a typo in our system. The actual weight of the 12'' is about 16Kg(35.27lbs). I hope that clears it for you guys. Let me know if you have any more questions and I'll try my best to get more information. Thanks!

John Lingo

Monoprice.com

Tech Support

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
In the description of the 12", it says it's an 8". This must be how they kept the weight down. They used some sort of matter phase shifting.

Me thinks monoprice needs a proof reader.

·
Registered
9.8.4 = 13 CBT Line Arrays, 8 Sealed 18"s
13,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoprice_01 /forum/post/20862525

Hi there posters!

Just to chime in, these are still fairly new items, so the 9lbs was a typo in our system. The actual weight of the 12'' is about 16Kg(35.27lbs). I hope that clears it for you guys. Let me know if you have any more questions and I'll try my best to get more information. Thanks!

John Lingo

Monoprice.com

Tech Support

Hey John,

I don't really understand why Monoprice is branching into other products that may cloud the monoprice brand's quality allure. Monoprice is currently associated with a quality wire/interconnect product at a bare basement price! Your company enjoys a good reputation among most of our enthusiast community. As soon as you start introducing presumably subpar (even if dirt cheap) audio equipment your brand recognition will get drug through the mud a bit. The couple dollars here or there you make selling a cheap subwoofer is not worth tarnishing your company's brand in my opinion. Even if these subs are reasonably good quality considering the rock bottom price, they won't compete with many other, even low end, retail or Internet Direct vendors. I do understand $80 for a 12 inch sub is almost unheard of, but in reality how many traditional 12" subs are you going to be able to best for the money...If the answer is very few -- then your shop should quit venturing down this road. It doesn't matter if your sub is half price of all the other 12 subs in the entire market. Even if the price is cheaper than what you could buy say a Infinity, JBL, or Klipshe sub by half, if it doesn't sound the same or better than the options people know then you are just tarnishing your brand....People unfamiliar with monoprice may then believe errantly that monoprice only sells "junk." I just don't see what you have to gain by selling an $80 12" subwoofer.

I issue this caution as an enthusiast monoprice customer. I've used you guys for years and actually have an order on the way right now. I've been happy with the product sold on every occassion save one where I got a bad HDMI cable, but your customer support was awesome and a new cable was immediately shipped out free of charge. People have finally come to realize that the monoprice cables are great cables at a fantastic price and I just hate to see the company tarnish its name with weak products -- even if they are offered at cheap prices.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts