AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear your latest picks... For content, not just pic and sound!

Mine is "Catch me if you can"... Fantastic!

Troy

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
well of course LOTR Two Towers, ummm can't really think of anything else at this time. :( Hope to hear from others about something worth my 5 bucks at the video store, Is X-men 2 on DVD yet?

·
Registered
16,797 Posts
How about a Theater release ...

-- I enjoyed Matchstick Men !

-- I think this is a much improved Nicholas Cage .

-----Jason

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
And my vote, the digitally enhanced THX version of the blockbuster hit

Debby Does Dallas

Chip S.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Alright, "Bend it like Beckham" was pretty good for my money. I'll be curious about what the DVD looks like.

Later,

Bill

·
Registered
733 Posts
Since you are talking about movies that were recently released. I liked "Adaptation" good story and a good transfer. Also two oldies that were just released, "Omega Man" and "Soylent Green" I haven't seen them yet but I will be putting both in my collection regardless. I tend to like old movies, about one fourth of my collection is black and white.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought adaptation, but ran out of patience watching it and had to give up.

I take it it gets better?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Troy;

Your response made me chuckle. Rating a movie is like buying speakers. We all have are own tastes. :) I thought Chris Cooper was awesome. The movie had me sitting on the edge of my seat. The way the movie progresses is nothing like what you would expect. I found it to be very entertaining. but thats just me. YMMV :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Try Secretary for a late night erotic-drama.

Finally saw Magnolia, which is great if you liked Boogie Nights and P.T. Andersen's style of directing. May need to watch twice to fully grasp, has good climactic ending.

Also Identity is a pretty good thriller made in way of old style movie suspense.

Just my two cents, enjoy!

ImaStar

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
If they do a good job with the transfer, Winged Migration should be pretty good (it's a nature flick). However, it would have been much better had it been shot in IMAX instead of 35mm.

Later,

Bill

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone!

Aside from Debbie does dallas which I believe isn't in widescreen but spreadeaglevision (tm) sounds like there are some good ones to look at.

Like I said I actually bought adaptation so I will take it off the shelf and give it another try now that I hear some of you liked it. I don't require a car chase every 5 minutes to keep my interest, but it did look like a sleeper at first try.

Heck I love some of the IMAX films, especially baraka, that one should make you think and if it doesn't you aren't getitng it. Winged migration will be on my list to buy.

Troy

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I'll second on Identity. That was a terrific Hitchcock-ish thriller with lots of surprises.

Another one that I really enjoyed is Thirteenth Floor. It looks pretty good, but is also involving with some real surprises along the way.

--Bill

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey,

Me and the Mrs. went to Blockbuster yesterday....I rented SNATCH and she rented THE PENAL COLONY.........bummer..we were both disappointed.

moondude

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Should have rented Catch me if you can. I would love to hear from a single person that doesn't like that movie. I'll bet you all will no matter what your tastes are.

Snatch, penal, did you two have something else on you mind, maybe a freudian thing?

Troy

·
Registered
937 Posts
We rented Basic last weekend... very interesting. Will probably try it again just to see if the extras can straighten out some of the kinks. I want to watch it again knowing the "truth" to see if I can catch any slip ups in the story line.

re: Adaptation... very interesting, but it made me realize that I may need a different screen or further adjustment. In the very dark scenes (of which there were plenty) I could not see hardly anything. I'm using a PG6xtra with a Dalight microperf 1.0 gain screen. I do have total light control, but it seems I really have to crank the contrast.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Snatch was a killer movie. But the dvd trasfer was no good. Grainy and bad colors. Shoot i just fed the 6pg the new hi-def matrix trailer 6 or 7 times

·
Registered
937 Posts
I know, I know, "the animated ones look good on any old crap" but I saw Finding Nemo this weekend and even though my setup is not perfect everyone really enjoyed it. We had a friend and her kids over for the first time and everyone was blown away.

Also watched "Reloaded" I thought that was pretty spectacular as well.

Still waiting for enough time to watch LOTR again and then TT.

Anyone seen the new Indiana Jones set?

I'll never pay to see a movie in the cinema unless they significantly slow DVD releases. My wife, who used to still insist on seeing them in the theater is even converted finally.

Remember when it used to be over a year before HBO got movies, then the VHS were even longer... Maybe I'm dating myself.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.