AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, we have decided to redesign the box due to the limited interest. I really thought that this is what people wanted in their Home Theaters? I am by no means a big company. I started Spotlight Displays on my own. I take pride in trying to give an honest price on everything I have. I really mean that. I also have a policy that if a person receives something from me and they are not happy with the item, they can send it back and receive a full refund. No questions ask.

I think one of the biggest reasons the box is not getting that much interest is because of the price? This box is not cheap to build. The lighting in it is Awesome. I thought of using Rope lighting but it just Didn't seem to illuminate the way I wanted it to. Also it gave off a yellow appearance. We are now going to make the lighting even better. The lighting is fine the way it is now but we are going to incorporate the lighting into the box. Right now their is a fixture mounted in the box. We are going to get rid of the fixture which should help with cost and will allow us to ship for free.

So the improved design will include a new lighting system, and the best addition will be a switch on the side of the box, which will almost be flush. Also the free shipping.

If anybody has input on this I would love to hear it. Maybe there is something that you would like to see different about the box, I would love to hear about it also.

Thank you very much. I look forward to hearing back from you all. Also, if you have any other ideas that you might want made from Acrylic, please let me know. I am now working with a person that owns a company that can do it all with Fabrication of Acrylic. Injection Molding also but that is extremely expensive, and I mean extremely. Take care.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, it looks really good on there. Thank you PC Doc. I Hope nobody mistakes me for that guy the thread is about.

It really is a nice box. I think with the added switch it will start to do better. Take care.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Lou,

Yes, that is one of the items that I am going to produce. It will be incorporated into the frames that I now have. I am a small operation and I need this Mylar box to get started before I make the light box for posters. I want it to be as affordable as possible. It is really sad at some of the prices that are out there for the Poster Light Boxes. I hope that I will be able to make something that anyone could purchase.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The reason you have no interest is that it is just simply far too expensive.

Maybe if you included the mylars free for people to make it a one-stop

shop, but it is still far too expensive.

I used to be in the furniture manufacturing industry, and a batch of 50 or

so frames like that could be built up and finished for under $50CDN

(US$35) each, for a VERY good looking product. I can't see lighting being

that expensive- I just can't. You could offer different lighting options, for one.

There is absolutely no reason a product like this can't retail for US$99.95,

including a "now playing" mylar, and still leave you room for 50% margin --

ie a 100% profit.

-Sporty

ps- wow, 100 posts. I feel special.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello Sporty,

I am going to be up front and honest with you. All you can take is my word, and it means a lot to me.

I have tried to have this box built for a year now. Most places want an order of over a thousand to even consider building something like this. I have not tried to have it built in wood, only Acrylic and metal. I am working with someone now who will take orders of 50 at a time. at that low quantity order, the price is going to be more. As far as lighting goes. You really don't have any idea. The lighting for this unit alone costs $20. Call some lighting companies and you will see.

I am not out to rip anybody off. We are now going to change the lighting on this unit. Currently I am purchasing the Lighting through a company that provides me with a light fixture. That is where the cost comes in. To provide proper lighting, you have to have a good light. We are now going to incorporate the lighting right in the box. What I mean is now the box will be the light fixture. This will bring the price down some. We are going to offer free shipping after this.

Call some manufactures and see how much it would cost to have something like this made. You will be surprised. If you can have it made out of wood for the price that you quoted, then you should start selling them. That is a great price.

·
Premium Member
26,437 Posts
I don't think the price is out of line. I paid about the same price for a double mylar box that holds two large mylars. The problem is your market isn't on this forum. Most folks here are DYI folks who enjoy the accomplishment of making something themselves, at the sametime saving a couple of bucks. If they buy something from someone like yourself, they pricing it out vs the raw materials and the how they value their time to do it themselves.. They want you to price it to convince them not to take on the project themselves. That doens't leave much of a profit margin....especially considering your a one man operation.

I think the other member had a good idea to include a Now Playing mylar or the name of their home theater...that is something that may not be so easy to do and make it look professional product.

Have you tried ebay?

Ron

PS: Sportyboy..it really isn't fair to compare mass maufacturing to a one man operation. This is a one man operation producing one lightbox at a time not mass producing hundreds or thousands in a factory each day. I would agree the market, competition and costs help to set the price. That doesn't mean that the 100 dollar price break market is who he can or should be going after. That's why I come back to my original point, members of this forum may not be his market.

·
Premium Member
26,437 Posts
I don't think the price is out of line. I paid about the same price for a double mylar box that holds two large mylars. The problem is your market isn't on this forum. Most folks here are DYI folks who enjoy the accomplishment of making something themselves, at the sametime saving a couple of bucks. If they buy something from someone like yourself, they pricing it out vs the raw materials and the how they value their time to do it themselves.. They want you to price it to convince them not to take on the project themselves. That doens't leave much of a profit margin....especially considering your a one man operation.

I think the other member had a good idea to include a Now Playing mylar or the name of their home theater...that is something that may not be so easy to do and make it look professional product.

Have you tried ebay?

Ron

PS: Sportyboy..it really isn't fair to compare mass maufacturing to a one man operation. This is a one man operation producing one lightbox at a time not mass producing hundreds or thousands in a factory each day. I would agree the market, competition and costs help to set the price. That doesn't mean that the 100 dollar price break market is who he can or should be going after. That's why I come back to my original point, members of this forum may not be his market.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello Ron and thank you for your reply and your kind words. I never looked at it from your point of view and I think you are right. When I get this new lighting I hope that I will be able to do something with the price. I think I will at least be able to offer free shipping. The switch on the side will be a nice added feature.

As far as the Mylars are concerned. I have printed one on transparent film but they just do not come out good enough for me to sell them, or offer them for free with the box. I had a company send me some Mylar material but it was not of the same quality as the regular Movie Mylars. I have printed some on a regular sheet of printer photo paper which came out nice but still not to the quality that I want. I will keep looking.

Anyway, thank you again. Hopefully after the switch is in place people might be interested. Take care Ron.

·
Premium Member
26,437 Posts
An alternative to "printing" a mylar image would be to cut out the words in a black plastic/mylar type material....then attach another sheet of colored plastic/mylar type transparent material behind it. The light shines through the color and the letters are formed in the black creating lighted name or phrase.

Ron

PS: Sporty, not to pick on you, but I've read some of your recent threads trying to figure out how realtraps makes their bass traps...I assume to make some yourself. Again, terrific that you are a DYI person. I admire that...so it comes back to your opinion about pricing is probably not relevent, since you are probably not his market.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Just thought I'd chime in and mention that I may be interested in the light box once it is redesigned. It would be great if the price could be reduced a little bit. I'm also wondering if you plan on making a lightbox that would hold medium- or large-sized mylars - one that would hold 4 of them the way your small mylar box does?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello Scott and thank you for your interest. The light box is going to start shipping tomorrow. I will have all the details for you then with new pictures. The lighting is awesome and it now has a switch. The price has been lowered to $175. that is a great price for the workmanship that went into making this item. I will be in touch tomorrow.

Robert Perry

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
usmcss,

While I'm sure your box is nice, I am looking for something side-by-side, not up and down. Perhaps I'm missing something from your site, but I didn't see anything like that. I think if you learned what your target market was looking for, you might find more willing to purchase these boxes. If you do have side-by-side displays, let me know.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Robert,

Thanks for that info. I look forward to hearing more about this lightbox tomorrow; keep me posted via PM, email, or put a post in this thread if you get a chance, please.
Quote:
I think if you learned what your target market was looking for, you might find more willing to purchase these boxes. If you do have side-by-side displays, let me know.
I think this comment is only partially fair; I in fact like the vertical orientation of the current lightbox; it looks great and seems to save more space as opposed to a box that would hold four mylars side-by-side in a horizontal orientation. I guess it's the old adage - different strokes for different folks! :)

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott-C
I think this comment is only partially fair; I in fact like the vertical orientation of the current lightbox;
My real point wasn't that he only has one or the other, my point was that he didn't do any research (that I know of) to determine what the market could handle. A top reason companies fail is because they didn't have a product or service that someone wanted. It all comes back to supply and demand. You need some sort of demand to be successful, but lowering the price doesn't necessarily increase the demand.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello Scott,

You can go to my website now for all the info. You might have to refresh the page.
Mylar Box

The box really looks great. The changes that were made are:

-On/Off Switch

-Different lighting

-added two Mirrors at 45 degrees inside the box to throw the lighting

-now the mylars are behind a clear sheet where as before they were exposed.

- Price drop

Quote:
I think this comment is only partially fair; I in fact like the vertical orientation of the current lightbox; it looks great and seems to save more space as opposed to a box that would hold four mylars side-by-side in a horizontal orientation. I guess it's the old adage - different strokes for different folks!
Thanks Scott.

Quote:
While I'm sure your box is nice, I am looking for something side-by-side, not up and down. Perhaps I'm missing something from your site, but I didn't see anything like that. I think if you learned what your target market was looking for, you might find more willing to purchase these boxes. If you do have side-by-side displays, let me know.
Hello blipszyc and thank you for your input. We feel that this box can accommodate more people because not everybody has an entrance to thier theater where they can put a Mylar Box over top of it side by side. This box can go anywhere. It is a high quaility item, and if someone was not happy with it, they could send it back within 10 days for a full refund. There has been a lot of work put into each of these boxes as people will see when they receive it. I feel the price for this unit is very fair.

Thank you.

Robert Perry

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Quote:
My real point wasn't that he only has one or the other, my point was that he didn't do any research (that I know of) to determine what the market could handle. A top reason companies fail is because they didn't have a product or service that someone wanted. It all comes back to supply and demand. You need some sort of demand to be successful, but lowering the price doesn't necessarily increase the demand.
Point well taken, and as an Econ (way back in "the day") major I certainly understand the need to have a product that the market wants in order to create demand. But I just think it's slightly unfair to accuse him of doing no market research, unless you know for a fact that he didn't. Not trying to pick a fight here or take sides, just making an observation, really.

Also, I believe the reality of being a small business owner means you simply can't "scrap" a product and retool from scratch the moment things don't go the way you want them to. Sometimes it's important and economically necessary to "tweak" an existing product before you chalk it up to a sunk cost and start over (with yet another significant financial investment).

Again, I'm not trying to pick a fight here as you clearly understand business. Just pointing out some additional observations.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Quote:
You can go to my website now for all the info. You might have to refresh the page.

Mylar Box

The box really looks great. The changes that were made are:

-On/Off Switch

-Different lighting

-added two Mirrors at 45 degrees inside the box to throw the lighting

-now the mylars are behind a clear sheet where as before they were exposed.

- Price drop
Looks good! I do have some questions:

1. The pictures on your site make it tough to see the box. Can you show some close-ups of the light box?

2. Where is the switch?

3. Is the box hard-wired into a circuit or does it come with an AC plug?

4. If you mount the box on a wall, where does the cord come out...the bottom? If so, is there a notch cut out of the back bottom of the box so that it can hang flush on the wall with the cord sticking out?

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.