AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Exclusive to the AVS HDTV Forum.

5/14/02 4:45pm EST

NBC confirmed today that all 5 of their new fall shows will be available in HDTV. This is in addition to the existing regularly scheduled NBC HDTV broadcasts of Crossing Jordan & The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.

New comedies joining the lineup are “In-Laws†(Tuesdays, 8-8:30 p.m. ET), starring Dennis Farina and Jean Smart; “Hidden Hills†(Tuesdays, 9:30-10 p.m. ET), which focuses on the lives of frenzied families living in the suburbs; and “Good Morning Miami†(Thursdays, 9:30-10 p.m. ET), from the Emmy-winning creators of NBC’s “Will & Grace.â€

Dramas include the touching, one-hour family series “American Dreams,†set against the backdrop of 1960s Philadelphia when “American Bandstand†was at the height of pop culture, and “Boomtown,†from executive producers Graham Yost (“Speedâ€) and Jon Avnet (“Fried Green Tomatoesâ€).

8/28/02

Since the announcment above, NBC has also announced that both Frazier & Ed will both be in HDTV this fall.

The HDTV Insider, Gary Merson has posted here he was told by NBC that 'Good Morning Miami' will not be in HDTV.

So, here is the current best guess as to what will be in HDTV on NBC primetime this fall:

American Dreams - Sunday 8-9pm

Boomtown - Sunday 10-11pm

Crossing Jordan - Monday 10-11pm

In-Laws - Tuesday 8-8:30pm

Frasier - Tuesday 9-9:30pm

Hidden Hills - Tuesday 9:30-10pm

Ed - Wednesday 8-9pm

The Tonight Show with Jay Leno will also continue in HDTV Monday-Friday 11:35-12:35pm.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Thanks for breaking the news, but 5 more shows, big deal. I'm willing to bet at least three of these are cancelled after 2 months, leaving us with hardly any HDTV programming on NBC. Sorry NBC, but I'm still watching CBS (ABC too).

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Some are not happy unless they have something to complain about.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it is a big deal, hpierce.

They increased the number of prime time shows in HDTV from 1 to 6. I see nothing wrong with that. I also think it's logical to assume they will continue the policy, any replacement shows would also be in HDTV, so what they cancel is of no consequence, unless they cancel the non-HDTV shows, wait a minute.....

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I still think there is a very good chance they will do some of their existing shows in HDTV as well; the marginal cost really isn't that great. Why not wait and see what happens before criticizing?

I consider this a big step forward for NBC's commitment to HDTV. Thank you NBC!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I can't believe people actually complain getting 5 more HD programs, Be lucky here in Miami we can't even get NBC in HD..:mad:

·
Registered
877 Posts
It's nice to see an effort being made, so I thank NBC for that. However, I think this would be much more dramatic if NBC pushed at least one or two of their current hits into HD world. ER and Friends come to mind as two shows that might make an "HD statement" for NBC. They already push the fact that they've taken ER to widescreen....so it would make even more sense to push this as HD.

More HD is always good news though....lets hope their new shows make it!

Chris

·
Registered
936 Posts
I'm happy they have increased the amount of programming, but I feel like they are trying to keep us quiet (by quiet I mean they are trying to prevent us from emailing, calling and writing them more letters for HDTV) by adding only 5 shows. Why not do the whole thing if they can do 5? It just seems that HDTV is not very high on the priority list. As for now, I will take Rich's advice and wait before complaining further.

·
Registered
45,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill
What's up with "West Wing" in widescreen but not HD!?
Rumors are, NBC politely asked the producers of their existing filmed episodic programing to deliver the programs in HDTV, in addition to the standard NTSC format. NBC felt they would get a positive response from the production companies, since it would be in the production companies best interest to already have the programs in HDTV for future syndication. Unfortunately this did not happen, as no one stepped up to the line.

This year was a different story, as NBC expressed their desires a little more explicitly, shall we say. We should know soon (between now & the fall) if they get better results.

The original thought behind widescreen NTSC for West Wing & ER was a little test for public reaction. It seems to have been received well by the viewing public, from what I can tell.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Quote:
Some are not happy unless they have something to complain about.
Call me ungrateful then ;). Unless NBC figures a way to get their top rated primetime shows on in HD like all the other major networks, I will see this as a lame attempt at gaining respectability. I will hold out hope they work something out before the new fall season comes around. People, the time has come. No more foot dragging and lollygagging around. The HDTV revolution is on. It's now. Perhaps we all should take this as an opportunity to renew the push of our friends at NBC with some politely worded emails saying thanks, but what's the deal here? Give us the good stuff! A little added impetus right about now to get them to prod those show producers into action just might make the difference :)

ron

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
These people must really be on drugs. Who gives a crap about shows we know absolutely nothing about? They just keep acting like the third rate network that they are.

Sorry, but the way it works on TV is that the network decides in what format they want the production companies to deliver its shows in. They don't request it, they dictate it. What's really happening is that NBC wants the producers to pay for the HD transfers instead of covering those costs themselves, as ABC does for all and CBS for most of their shows. Like I said, just like a third rate network.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
This is great news! The announcement only addressed the new shows. But, I am optimistic that they will also do some existing shows. Especially the shows that are currently done in letterbox, like E.R. and The West Wing.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tji
This is great news! The announcement only addressed the new shows. But, I am optimistic that they will also do some existing shows. Especially the shows that are currently done in letterbox, like E.R. and The West Wing.
I'm wondering why you are so optimistic? I saw dozens of posts that said exactly the same thing last year about exactly those two shows.

It's fitting that I talk about this time last year as I type my 1000th post here. It's been a year and a day since I found this forum, and it has been a major help to me over that time. I sought it out after learning that The Sopranos (the best TV drama in history) was broadcast in HD. Maybe I was missing something after all, by not having HD. After reading commentary here for a few days, from strange characters like Rodmanbra, I went out and bought a DTC-100, and hooked it up to the nearest computer monitor so that I could see what everyone was talking about. Tanya "had me at hello." It was much better than "A Bug's Life" that the local stores had been showing on their HD televisions, claiming it was HD (it was DVD, of course).

I've learned a lot here, I've gotten into arguments, I've laughed, I've thrown things...I even made a good friend. I just hope that I've contributed in some small way to the good of high definition.

Ron

·
Registered
785 Posts
Complaints complaints, they haven't said whether they will do prior shows in hdtv or not at this time. This is a great announcement, one can easily deduce they will make at least a few of their old shows hdtv.

Especially when you consider that one of their new hdtv shows is on at 9:30 on thursday, created by the will and grace creators, and right before er. hmmmm Would be mighty sad to have an hd sitcom and then ntsc ER... Hell would be sad to have their "Thursday" night shows not all be in HDTV...

·
Registered
463 Posts
R11 is right, we should start a letter writing campaign to NBC. They are not doing much of anything for HDTV in primetime. These new shows will be cancelled within the first 2 months, most likely, we have got to push for something in the top rated shows if we want more HDTV.

·
Registered
809 Posts
FCC Chairman Powell requested that the four major nets have 50% of their prime time schedule in HDTV this fall.

According to NBC's programming chief Jeff Zucker, NBC has 22 hours of prime time programing per week. This 3.5 hrs of new shows in HD + 1 hour (Crossing Jordan) = 4.5 hrs or just 20.45% of the prime time schedule.

NBC spent the bulk of their "upfront" exclaiming they are number 1 in viewers. With that many viewers and associated revenue I was very surprised that not a single word was said about HDTV .

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
For all those already complaining about the quality of NBC's new shows, let's remember that current HD hits like "CSI," "King of Queens," "Crossing Jordan," "Alias" and "The District" are all relatively new.

If I'm not mistaken, with the exception of "KOQ" none of those shows is more than two seasons old. The were all once unknown commodities.

Yes, I'd like to see "Friends," "Scrubs," "Frasier" and "The West Wing" in HD (once it becomes available again OTA in the NYC area), but who's to say there won't be another "CSI" in this group? We haven't even seen the shows yet. Let's at least wait until the fall to judge their quality.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.