AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided after a couple of days of almost getting it right that the NEC setup is too much for me. It gets at all my weak points: MEASURING/squareness etc. All the reasons I am the worlds worst carpenter...can't get anything square, and the initial mechanical setup demands that you do. . My sony 1270 is a piece of cake for me to set up and I have taken the beast apart (all CRT's) replaced a couple of boards etc. I have also had good luck with electrohome set-ups. I am dissapointed but a man has to know his limits!

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Well, It may be true. NEC's are not for everyone.

Just a shame that you only gave it a couple of days. I myself took over a month to learn it right. Nothing worthwile can be rushed.

Marc

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, Tinman. It takes time to learn and I have had my Sony for a year and can now set it up in the time it takes to make popcorn. An hour for a really tight set-up. The other part of your statement is also true: they are not for everyone and I feel I need the built-in (mostly) squareness and point convergeances that machines like the Sony offer. For me the mechanical set-up was like everytime I try to build something,: not level and not square. I did get it pretty close and it does have wonderful color. My loss will hopefully be someone elses gain..but I think I better stick to what I know I can do well consistantly.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
You can always drop a point board into that 6PG, btw.

Marc

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I know someone selling a pointboard :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi everyone!

I sent you a pm Nelman IF you are still wanting to sell it :D

I've been blowing brain cells the past month or so trying to research which projector would best suit me. Based on the praise that the NEC models elicit, they are my first option, followed closely by the Marquees. I've been working ALOT of overtime to be able to purchase a unit . The things that we do for an obsession :) I know the 6pg and 9pg are considered challenging for the newbie but I love challenges. So I'm not put off by the learning curve that will be required. I apologize Nelman if I've hijacked your thread. BTW this a wonderful forum. I've learned alot over these past few months.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
NEC"s aren't especially difficult, just *DIFFERENT* from most pj's to setup. Personally, I find I can get a BETTER setup with the NEC, easier than with the simplistic controls of the Marquee, Barco or Sony.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've been studying the installation manual as well as the set up guide that was written by Tinman/Feathers. It seems pretty straight forward to me even though I realize that it will require alot of patience and time. If it gets me a world class image then so be it. I hope i can secure one soon. I'm dying to get started :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
Nelman,

I feel for you. I have only worked with an NEC PG and in my opinion the setup is not straight-forward or easy.

If you are fortunate to get one that has a good mechanical setup then it is not too bad. But if you have to open up the hood and adjust yokes, CPC magnets, centering tabs, G2, etc. It can be quite a chore. Especially since many of the adjustments interact -- you change the CPC and then the centering is affected, etc.

The electronic menu is fairly thorough. It takes awhile to learn as again the various adjustments interact with each other.

That said, after a few months with mine I find the picture amazing. But it would not have been possible without spending a good deal of time, trial and error adjustments with reading and learning along the way.

shoot

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.