AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a replacement blue tube for my pg6 and installed it according to the pictures before I took out the old one. the raster appears to be to big for the tube with the top portion (projector right side up) being off the face of the tube. Could this be a magnet placement issue and if so should I try to duplicate the red tube magnet positions. I don't want to blow this tube but I do want to learn how to maintain the unit myself. I have also read many posts about the electrical dangers under the hood and would like to know what kind of tool will give the best protection when doing centering magnet and focus magnet adjustments.

thank you ,

carlton

·
Registered
112 Posts
YIKES!! Be careful! Aside from the real possibilities of painful or lethal shock when messing inside the pj, you may overheat and ruin the tube if you run it with the the image going off of the tube face. As for dangerous areas, the thick red wires and the high voltage power supply are the worst spots, rubber gloves won't save you from the voltages. The other word of advice often given is only reach in with one hand (your right to avoid the heart). For safety and legal reasons I don't recommend you do this yourself.

Ok, that said:

It could be a few things that I know of, but I'm not sure exactly what you are experiencing. Is the Raster centered on the tube face? Or is it going "off the top" because it is just out of center? What are you displaying when you see it going off the tube face? Is it a new, rebuilt or used replacement? etc.

First, did you zero out all of the electronic adjustments for the blue tube?

Second, is the Deflection Yoke (the one closest to the tube face) snug against the tube bell (basically you want it as far forward as you can get it)?

Third, if you could write back and clarify exactly what you are seeing, it'll be easier to nail your problem down.

Good luck,

shoot

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Carlton, please read the NEC mechanical setup procedure. I bumped it again. You should do this especially since you replaced a tube. It will fix your problem, and maybe improve overall performance.

Marc

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Make sure the yoke is up against the bell of the tube. Check the raster centering rings on that yoke.

Curt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.