AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to everybody,

I recently came into posession of a nec xg110lc and I'm completely new to the crt projector scene. The gentleman who gave it to me told me that I better have a engineering backround or be prepared to cry as a grown man before I even attempt to alter the measurements he had it configured to. Does anybody know of a link(i searched the forum) or even more helpful want to give me the quick and dirty as to what I'm getting myself into. It's completely set up and dialed in for what he had it set up for. I would also like to add some different resolution settings as well.

Any advice or words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Also, update your profile to show where you're at. It will help if you get stuck. Post here before you start crying though..

Good luck, it's a great projector, but there is a learning curve involved...

·
Registered
613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by parksenegger /forum/post/0

Greetings to everybody,

I recently came into posession of a nec xg110lc........ The gentleman who gave it to me....

You'll make some grown me cry telling them you got given a XG 110LC

good score

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gentlemen, Thanks for the quick reply and NautikaL, thanks a ton for the links. I'm in Columbus OH (home of the sad a$$ national championship losers)

Would anybody like to comment on what I have and what I can do with it. I know it's a good projector and I should be able to do just about anything I want to do with it. There is practically no burn in. The guy I got it from travels a lot for work and was only home on the weekends. He used the cinema setting ( pretty sure that means low output) in order to prevent the tubes from going bad. I will have to post pics to get comments.

again thanks for the help! greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
WHat do you want to do with it?

What you'll most likely need is a signal processor (scaler) as video or Svideo won't look good into the set.

Read the FAQ on my site first, the manuals are all downloadable from my site in the tips section.

USe a screen width of no more than 96", feed it an HD signal and you'll be in 7th heaven..

·
Registered
854 Posts
For your first screen, I would recommend just painting the wall for less than 50$. Then you can move on to more advanced things like maybe a toridial screen to maximize tube life. You should also just leave it floor mounted until you get a hang of things. Its a lot easier to move the projector forwards and backwards when its on the ground

Then once you've gotten a hang of things and know a little bit more about CRT, you can get a real screen and ceiling mount the projector.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme /forum/post/0

WHat do you want to do with it?

What you'll most likely need is a signal processor (scaler) as video or Svideo won't look good into the set.

Read the FAQ on my site first, the manuals are all downloadable from my site in the tips section.

USe a screen width of no more than 96", feed it an HD signal and you'll be in 7th heaven..

Scaler? Use a PC.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Feed it a HD signal, from set-top box, PC, video processor/scaler, HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player.

Do HEAPS of reading, download all the relevant manuals, browse this forum, try to avoid fiddling with anything until your more 'up to speed'. This way you'll avoid those tears.

You'll then have a better appreciation of the capabilities of what you've got. Enjoy the ride....

·
Registered
18,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W /forum/post/0

Scaler? Use a PC.

"Cause I wanted to keep it simple to start...

Did you get the remote/ceiling bracket/screen/video processor for it along with the projector...

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
HTPC = simplicity itself.

I mean, it's not like we have teams of dedicated personnel to keep PC's running...

Seriously though, he probably already owns a PC - just needs to get a custom resolution running, which isn't that hard, and I'm happy to help. No further outlay required (well maybe a lead).

The trick to keeping a HTPC simple is testing on a CRT monitor first.

·
Registered
669 Posts
DO NOT TOUCH ANY OF THE WHITE POTS YOU SEE WHEN YOU OPEN IT.

Really, do NOT touch them. If the reference mechanical white balance is intact, touching those pots will totally screw it. Leave them totally untouched.

If you are lucky enough to have one of the very rare NEC's whose reference mechanical white balance has never been screwed with, the colors should be gorgeous.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.