AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this is the correct location for this thread!

Netgear is announcing the new WNHDB3004 Wirless-N HD Home Theater Adapter and I'm having a hard time figuring out what it does exactly.

Product Link:
http://www.netgear.com/Products/Ente...WNHDB3004.aspx

It says it streams HD content... but I guess I'm having a problem understanding what HD content to what location... blue-ray player to TV in opposite side of the house?

Let me know and discuss, Thanks!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Looks like it doesn't add any functionality, just appears to be a wireless bridge for devices that don't have built in wireless.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
If it's the same product that came with my BestBuy purchase of a Sony S11, it's a sorely disappointing product. IIRC, it can't deliver 1080 even 8 feet away. It's immature and generally goofy.

Update: Photo's don't look like the same product. Maybe it won't have the same issues.

·
Registered
69 Posts
From their website it does appear to have some capability over a standard G or N bridge:

"It combines 4x4 multiple-input, multiple-output (MIMO), real-time spectrum analysis, and dynamic digital beamforming, besides using low-interference 5 GHz frequency band".

·
Registered
19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckellyusa /forum/post/18228124

I think this is the correct location for this thread!

Netgear is announcing the new WNHDB3004 Wirless-N HD Home Theater Adapter and I'm having a hard time figuring out what it does exactly.

Product Link:
http://www.netgear.com/Products/Ente...WNHDB3004.aspx

It says it streams HD content... but I guess I'm having a problem understanding what HD content to what location... blue-ray player to TV in opposite side of the house?

Let me know and discuss, Thanks!

It is for people that cannot or do not want to wire thier homes. It allows you to plug into your Internet router in the home office for example, with the first unit acting as a wireless access ppoint. The second unit could go in the living room and would act as a wireless bridge. It has four ethernet ports. In my case, I would be plugging in my DVR, Blu-Ray player and PS3. It runs at 5 Ghz, so is not as susceptible to interferance from microwave ovens, other wireless routers, cordless phones, etc. So the content in my case would be coming from streaming Netflix to the Blu-Ray player and on demand to the DVR.

They have an older set, WNHDEB111 HD/GAMING 5 GHZ WIRELESS-N NETWORKING KIT, which as near as I can tell the main diffeence is going from two ethernet ports to four in addition to the 4×4 MIMO antenna. Would be interested to know if anyone has tried these. The newer kit is supposed to support greater distances.

·
Registered
221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidlySquat /forum/post/18615685

It is for people that cannot or do not want to wire thier homes. It allows you to plug into your Internet router in the home office for example, with the first unit acting as a wireless access ppoint. The second unit could go in the living room and would act as a wireless bridge. It has four ethernet ports. In my case, I would be plugging in my DVR, Blu-Ray player and PS3. It runs at 5 Ghz, so is not as susceptible to interferance from microwave ovens, other wireless routers, cordless phones, etc. So the content in my case would be coming from streaming Netflix to the Blu-Ray player and on demand to the DVR.

They have an older set, WNHDEB111 HD/GAMING 5 GHZ WIRELESS-N NETWORKING KIT, which as near as I can tell the main diffeence is going from two ethernet ports to four in addition to the 4×4 MIMO antenna. Would be interested to know if anyone has tried these. The newer kit is supposed to support greater distances.

Does anybody know what happened to this kit? It is no longer on their website or anywhere else on the internet.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDef Lover /forum/post/18994725

Does anybody know what happened to this kit? It is no longer on their website or anywhere else on the internet.
f you're talking about the older kit WNHDEB111 HD/GAMING 5 GHZ WIRELESS-N NETWORKING KIT, Newegg has the WNHDE111-100NAS individual adapters for sale http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122218 . As to the new kit, WNDHDB3004 has not been released for sale yet

·
Registered
466 Posts
Sometimes Newegg sells them individually for (refurb) for under $30 each: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthr...7640&t=2223545

I love them. I have one in my office which acts as the Main Access Point and then I have one in the living room which is connected to all of my devices out there (PS3, 360, Xbox, Seagate FAT+, etc) and then I also have one in the bedroom as well. I've been running this setup for close to a year now and I've rarely had any issues with it, I stream 720p MKV movies flawlessly and I'm sure I could stream 1080p MKV as well. I initially ran some network throughput/bandwith tests using NetCPS on my laptop in the living room connected with an ethernet cable to the "client" WNHDE111 and my main PC in my office which is connected wired as well and was able to get speeds of 80mbps+ pretty great speed for wireless for sure.

I love the ease of setting these things up. If you can't run ethernet or MoCA I would say this is the next best thing for sure.

·
Registered
987 Posts
The New Netgear WNHDB3004 has not yet been released from Netgear. It will be released shortly. As I write this units are going out to reviewers. So many of you asked what it is. The WNHDB3004 is a unique wireless bridge that uses 4 radios to enhance bandwidth and minimizes interference. The unit is capable of long range while passing very high bandwidth capable of streaming multiple HD feeds or a single 3DHD feed (which is equal to 2 HD feeds). The unit comprises 2 parts. The 1st part (Receiver) sits by your home theater equipment and has a 4 port switch built in. The other part sits by your internet router and connects via an Ethernet cable. Don't confuse this with other wireless bridges because it is a completely new technology and product. The bottom line is if you need a very high performance connection wirelessly this is the product for you. Expect to see it shipped later this month or early November.

Bob Silver

NETGEAR AV Consultant

·
Registered
279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver /forum/post/19278688

The New Netgear WNHDB3004 has not yet been released from Netgear. It will be released shortly. As I write this units are going out to reviewers. So many of you asked what it is. The WNHDB3004 is a unique wireless bridge that uses 4 radios to enhance bandwidth and minimizes interference. The unit is capable of long range while passing very high bandwidth capable of streaming multiple HD feeds or a single 3DHD feed (which is equal to 2 HD feeds). The unit comprises 2 parts. The 1st part (Receiver) sits by your home theater equipment and has a 4 port switch built in. The other part sits by your internet router and connects via an Ethernet cable. Don't confuse this with other wireless bridges because it is a completely new technology and product. The bottom line is if you need a very high performance connection wirelessly this is the product for you. Expect to see it shipped later this month or early November.

Bob Silver

NETGEAR AV Consultant

Is the WNHDB3004 better than WNHDE111?

What are the Improvements over WNHDE111?

Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
This may be a better option than trying to use Powerline from my 3rd floor to 1st floor in my townhouse.

With my 2.4Ghz G dlink dgl4300 I do get a steady stream for 720p movies downstairs,but it doesn't always work so I'm looking for something with a bit better bandwidth and range.

Still waiting on netgear's XAVB5501:
http://www.netgear.com/products/home.../XAVB5501.aspx

But looks like each of these will only be available during Christmas at this rate.

Any info on long range performance of these two devices is appreciated.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
I'm getting close to giving up on wireless or Powerline, but if either Netgear's WNHDB3004 or their 500-series Powerline devices can stream full 1:1 BD rips (a single stream is enough) from my home's basement to just one level up (the ground floor), that would be good enough for me.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh /forum/post/19330267

I'm getting close to giving up on wireless or Powerline, but if either Netgear's WNHDB3004 or their 500-series Powerline devices can stream full 1:1 BD rips (a single stream is enough) from my home's basement to just one level up (the ground floor), that would be good enough for me.

I'm pretty sure even cat 6 copper might even have issues with that.

My goal is to stream 720p reliably through about three walls and from three floors. 1080p I'm sure is not going to work in my case.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Don't know about copper, but I've streamed 2 full BD steams simultaneously over cat5e.

·
UHD Addict
39,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarbles /forum/post/19330285

I'm pretty sure even cat 6 copper might even have issues with that.

Cat6 and cat5e will both run gigabit.

I can stream three high bitrate BD ISOs concurrently over my gigabit network(on cat5e) with no issues to my media players.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have to say....Netgear is really slacking on releasing their products to US markets this year.

I'm still waiting on the XAVB5001 powerline kit too....

·
Registered
517 Posts
Is this thing the almost the same as the wn2000rpt I have?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Question -

The unit comes with a transmitter and receiver. How exactly does the transmitter work? I ask this because I already have a WNDR3700 attached to my router.

Does the transmitter get added on to my existing infrastructure? Can I get rid of my 3700 and use the transmitter as a wireless router for the other wireless devices in the house? Since I already have the WNDR3700 can I leave the transmitter off and just have the receiver communicate with my 3700 instead?

I suspect the answer is the transmitter has to be attached to my current setup.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts