AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just given an HP Presario CQ62 notebook with windows 7 premium home 64 bit OS. We only have OTA TV and I was looking for advice on setting this notebook up to record and watch OTA tv on my LCD tv.

I am new to this and my intial thought was to get a USB tuner and a 500GB external HD. The notebook does have an HDMI port and WMC.

Is it this simple or am I being totally ignorant? I do realize I will need some way to control WMC from the couch. I do have a Harmony one remote if that helps.

I appreciate your expert input!!

· Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brywisco /forum/post/19569655

I should add that this notebook has an Intel Celeron 900 2.2 GHz processor and 2GB RAM which I fear may be an issue with my plan.

Get a USB tuner and a Media Center remote.

I have this Kworld Tuner .

Its inexpensive and simply works.

Same seller (newegg) also has lots of choices for Media Center Remotes. They all come with a USB receiver.

Both together should run you about $50.

· Registered
764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brywisco /forum/post/19570081

Thanks...those are the what I am thinking of hardware-wise. I am still concerned about the capabilites of the processor and hope someone more knowledgeable than I can chime in on that aspect.

What GPU does the notebook have?

BT

· Registered
7,914 Posts
We have a notebook very similar to yours, although I don't have the model number handy. We use an HDHomeRun to view OTA, do not do any recording. HD content is choppy on the display. The GPU and/or processor are just not up to the task even when wired to gigabit (I strongly suspect the GPU). Ours has no HDMI out, so that wouldn't be an option.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm pretty sure the GMA 4500 is the GPU that is in this notebook. I will have to check it tonight to be 100%.

I guess I could just try it but was trying to feel this out a bit before spending $$ on a USB tuner etc. I was hoping someone else had one of these cheap Presario notebooks setup to recv and record OTA HDTV signals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.