AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just given an HP Presario CQ62 notebook with windows 7 premium home 64 bit OS. We only have OTA TV and I was looking for advice on setting this notebook up to record and watch OTA tv on my LCD tv.

I am new to this and my intial thought was to get a USB tuner and a 500GB external HD. The notebook does have an HDMI port and WMC.

Is it this simple or am I being totally ignorant? I do realize I will need some way to control WMC from the couch. I do have a Harmony one remote if that helps.

I appreciate your expert input!!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brywisco /forum/post/19569655

I should add that this notebook has an Intel Celeron 900 2.2 GHz processor and 2GB RAM which I fear may be an issue with my plan.

Get a USB tuner and a Media Center remote.

I have this Kworld Tuner .

Its inexpensive and simply works.

Same seller (newegg) also has lots of choices for Media Center Remotes. They all come with a USB receiver.

Both together should run you about $50.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks...those are the what I am thinking of hardware-wise. I am still concerned about the capabilites of the processor and hope someone more knowledgeable than I can chime in on that aspect.

·
Registered
764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brywisco /forum/post/19570081

Thanks...those are the what I am thinking of hardware-wise. I am still concerned about the capabilites of the processor and hope someone more knowledgeable than I can chime in on that aspect.

What GPU does the notebook have?

BT

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
We have a notebook very similar to yours, although I don't have the model number handy. We use an HDHomeRun to view OTA, do not do any recording. HD content is choppy on the display. The GPU and/or processor are just not up to the task even when wired to gigabit (I strongly suspect the GPU). Ours has no HDMI out, so that wouldn't be an option.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
How old is this notebook?

What is the model no.?

The GMA 4500 is generation older than the current Intel HD IGP.

It might be able to run it, but don't know for sure until someone tries it out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm pretty sure the GMA 4500 is the GPU that is in this notebook. I will have to check it tonight to be 100%.

I guess I could just try it but was trying to feel this out a bit before spending $$ on a USB tuner etc. I was hoping someone else had one of these cheap Presario notebooks setup to recv and record OTA HDTV signals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts