AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Also posted at Cocoontech, but forums appear to be down. Or something.

Am installing the Nuvo GC, 8 zone expander, and Sirius/AM/FM tuner. Amazing piece of kit. Looks awesome. The tuner sounds perfect, no distortion. However, I've hooked one of my HD DirecTv boxen to it and there is a low background noise. Sounds like a 60hz AC hum. I've changed out patch cables, used the ones from the tuner - no help. The sound is in every zone. I moved the sat source to a different Nuvo source input - no help. I turned off the Extron matrix switch - no help.

Grounding issues? I noted the GC and expander do not have ground leads in the power cord. Just hot and neutral in the female receptacle in the back panel of both. I would think being bolted to this rack would ground the chassis.

So I still need to try a CD/DVD. Also could hook an iPod up to it and check.

Ideas?

EDIT: and the same sat tuner has zero hum when piped through my surround receiver via optical TOSLINK connection.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceCannon /forum/post/16911750

(Also posted at Cocoontech, but forums appear to be down. Or something.

Am installing the Nuvo GC, 8 zone expander, and Sirius/AM/FM tuner. Amazing piece of kit. Looks awesome. The tuner sounds perfect, no distortion. However, I've hooked one of my HD DirecTv boxen to it and there is a low background noise. Sounds like a 60hz AC hum. I've changed out patch cables, used the ones from the tuner - no help. The sound is in every zone. I moved the sat source to a different Nuvo source input - no help. I turned off the Extron matrix switch - no help.

Grounding issues? I noted the GC and expander do not have ground leads in the power cord. Just hot and neutral in the female receptacle in the back panel of both. I would think being bolted to this rack would ground the chassis.

So I still need to try a CD/DVD. Also could hook an iPod up to it and check.

Ideas?

EDIT: and the same sat tuner has zero hum when piped through my surround receiver via optical TOSLINK connection.

Prolly a ground loop, try a ground loop isolator and see what that does for you!

·
Registered
10,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceCannon /forum/post/16911750

Well, that won't tell you anything about a ground loop, though, since its an optical connection...

I've got several HR2x's hooked to my GC with no issues. Try hooking the DVR using analog connections to the surround receiver to see if you can duplicate it there. Also, try disconnecting all other cable connections from the HR (start with analog audio outs, then TVs, then the SAT) one at a time to see if you can isolate the issue...

Jeff

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Is the chassis rack connected to ground? That could cause the ground loop. The Nuvo does not have a ground power lead to eliminate these loops. It likely has a double isolated transformer to eliminate possible shock hazards. If you ground the chassis, then you provide a path for the loop. Try ungrounding the chassis.

Also try connecting all sources, including the DirecTV box to the same power outlet. That minimizes the size of the loop.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Nuvo is not hardwire grounded, but it is mounted in a metal rack with other components that are grounded.

Good idea to try sending the analog signal directly to the surround receiver - I will do that tonight.

After I posted the message last PM, I noted that when I turn off kitchen lights (ALC dimmers) the buzz is much less noticeable. I need to go home and see if it is one specific switch. ALC dimmers in another room (which is actually closer to the wiring closet) did not have the same effect. And it doesn't make sense to me that the lightswitch would cause hum with the sat box and not the Nuvo tuner.

I have the sat boxes plugged into a small UPS, but everything leads back to the same wall outlet.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Same hum through all zones?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad /forum/post/16915551

Same hum through all zones?

Yes, same hum all zones. And same absence of hum in all zones with the Nuvo Tuner as source.

I was a bit sick yesterday and did not get a chance to check the hum with HR22 analog directly into the surround receiver.

I also remain concerned by the ALC dimmer issue. I need to see if it is all the kitchen lights or just one load. Anyone care to comment on the possibility of a single, errant, dysfunctional dimmer introducing this kind of interference? And why isn't it doing it to the Nuvo tuner source?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: the buzz has disappeared. I did nothing except unplug the GC and expander power cords and plug back in.

I hope it stays away.

I am thoroughly pleased with the Nuvo. Excellent hardware.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Good to hear your news.

My GC arrived this weekend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.