AVS Forum banner

2141 - 2160 of 4897 Posts

·
aka jfinnie
4,229 Posts
The Shield is downscaling to 1080p.
Well as the input colorspace to the projector is close to REC709, and HDR uses the much wider REC2020 you need something to map the REC2020 into REC709, be that the Shield or another device. You also need to tone map the PQ gamma down to something more like the projector is expecting. You may be able to do basic tone mapping in the projector with a custom gamma curve, but really you'd want an external tone mapping solution, too.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I was reading some info on the Nvidia Shield Pro and it sounds like it can be used to record Live OTA TV. Is this correct? Is there a link to more information regarding this feature? I DO NOT currently own a Shield Pro, but if this is a solid working feature, I would definitely purchase one.

I would be connecting it to a LG 65" C9 TV.

Thank you,
Robert

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
I was reading some info on the Nvidia Shield Pro and it sounds like it can be used to record Live OTA TV. Is this correct? Is there a link to more information regarding this feature? I DO NOT currently own a Shield Pro, but if this is a solid working feature, I would definitely purchase one.

I would be connecting it to a LG 65" C9 TV.

Thank you,
Robert
You would need a tuner, something like an HDhomerun, then with certain software like Emby or plex on the shield (and some extra storage like an external hard drive) you could do this.

But the Shield itself has no TV tuner.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Anyone know if it’s possible to stream 5.1 PCM (mkv) without having the Shield convert it to DD+?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
MrMC and Kodi. Maybe my settings are wrong?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi All,
I just recently purchased a Shield Pro and I am expecting its delivery tomorrow. This is the first Shield that I have owned so I dont have any real experience with the device. I am hoping to gain some knowledge on what I can expect from it and I hope it will meet my fairly simple needs.

The reason I have turned to the Shield is because I was looking for a device to pair with my Marantz SR7011 and JVC RS-520 for local playback of video files stored on a hard drive.

I have a 4K Apple TV device that I have attempted to use for local playback of video files over my network using both Infuse and PLEX apps but it has led to mostly frustrating experiences. There usually seems to be some sort of issue accessing my files for playback (stored on a laptop).

I wanted a device that will have the files stored on a hard drive and connected directly to it and the Shield seems like the top of the class for these sort of devices.

The one thing that I am really hoping is easy enough to do, is for me to be able to transfer files from my laptop to the hard drive connected to the Shield, over my network. I really want to avoid having to disconnect the hard drive every time I want to transfer some files onto it.

Seems simple enough, but I am wondering if the hard drive connected to the Shield will always be active? Or would I have to power on the shield before I am able to transfer files to the hard drive over the network.
I think I will first try out the Kodi app for file playback.

Any sort of tips/tricks/suggestions to get this working as easily and smoothly for me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Hi All,

I just recently purchased a Shield Pro and I am expecting its delivery tomorrow. This is the first Shield that I have owned so I dont have any real experience with the device. I am hoping to gain some knowledge on what I can expect from it and I hope it will meet my fairly simple needs.

The reason I have turned to the Shield is because I was looking for a device to pair with my Marantz SR7011 and JVC RS-520 for local playback of video files stored on a hard drive.

I have a 4K Apple TV device that I have attempted to use for local playback of video files over my network using both Infuse and PLEX apps but it has led to mostly frustrating experiences. There usually seems to be some sort of issue accessing my files for playback (stored on a laptop).

I wanted a device that will have the files stored on a hard drive and connected directly to it and the Shield seems like the top of the class for these sort of devices.

The one thing that I am really hoping is easy enough to do, is for me to be able to transfer files from my laptop to the hard drive connected to the Shield, over my network. I really want to avoid having to disconnect the hard drive every time I want to transfer some files onto it.

Seems simple enough, but I am wondering if the hard drive connected to the Shield will always be active? Or would I have to power on the shield before I am able to transfer files to the hard drive over the network.

I think I will first try out the Kodi app for file playback.

Any sort of tips/tricks/suggestions to get this working as easily and smoothly for me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Once you get it you’ll see you can “Transfer files over local network”. You just have to enable it and set ID/PW.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Basic question: When HDR and Dolby Vision are both offered for a given show, which one is prioritized by the Shield? Is it similar to ATV, where the Dolby Vision version is always the first priority?

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Assuming the SHIELD's DV option is enabled and you're in a DV supporting resolution, yes, DV is prioritized.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Basic question: When HDR and Dolby Vision are both offered for a given show, which one is prioritized by the Shield? Is it similar to ATV, where the Dolby Vision version is always the first priority?
Depends on the tv. I have a 2016 LG OLED that can't do DV at 60hz. If I don't manually force DV to 23.976 and use Refresh rate app, Netflix will automatically send the DV shows as 4K 60hz HDR10, not DV.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello guys,I need some help for the gaming part of shield. My nine years old son wants to play some games on the shield especially LEGO Jurassic World so when I searched nvidia games for it I found it but when I pushed the play button it prompted me to create a steam account and so did I and then I saw that I can purchase it with 19.99€ (I’m in Greece). So far so good but in the system requirements it says Windows XP sp3 or higher,Intel core 2 duo etc.
Well my question is
If I purchase the game I must’ve it installed on my pc and stream it from there on the shield or it is installed on the shield and we can play independently on it without having the pc open?
Thank you very much and sorry for my bad English

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hello guys,I need some help for the gaming part of shield. My nine years old son wants to play some games on the shield especially LEGO Jurassic World so when I searched nvidia games for it I found it but when I pushed the play button it prompted me to create a steam account and so did I and then I saw that I can purchase it with 19.99€ (I’m in Greece). So far so good but in the system requirements it says Windows XP sp3 or higher,Intel core 2 duo etc.
Well my question is
If I purchase the game I must’ve it installed on my pc and stream it from there on the shield or it is installed on the shield and we can play independently on it without having the pc open?
NVidia Gamestream is for streaming games from your PC. You need to own them and have a PC good enough for streaming this. Steam Link works the same way, in case you just want Steam games in your TV.

GForce Now is a streaming service, but for this one, you use their servers. Its limited, beta, and its a monthly fee.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce-now/

Reactions: achilleas8095

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Well my question is
would this work? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wb.goog.legojurassicworld&hl=en_US

·
Registered
329 Posts
Today received my Shield TV Pro, and I'm gonna need some help with.

Updating is all done, Google number loaded in and unit working. First impression is that it looks quite much like my Mecool TV Box.

First question: which video program is best for it? On the Mecool I used Kodi, but I wonder if there's a better one, particularly one that is much easier to stream through my cabled network.

First impression is one of frustration, as I expected this Shield to be more "automatic" to setup, as I needed help from a friend to setup the Kodi on the Mecool.

Is there another program that will find my PC, that I'm using as my video server, right away? That was very straightforward on my previous Mede8er media player, and I expected the Shield to be the same.

In fact I know it's the program that the Shield is using that is not as automatic identifying things as on the Mede8er. Maybe there's another program that is easier?

Any tutorial that can help me do things, even if using Kodi?

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
Today received my Shield TV Pro, and I'm gonna need some help with.

Updating is all done, Google number loaded in and unit working. First impression is that it looks quite much like my Mecool TV Box.

First question: which video program is best for it? On the Mecool I used Kodi, but I wonder if there's a better one, particularly one that is much easier to stream through my cabled network.

First impression is one of frustration, as I expected this Shield to be more "automatic" to setup, as I needed help from a friend to setup the Kodi on the Mecool.

Is there another program that will find my PC, that I'm using as my video server, right away? That was very straightforward on my previous Mede8er media player, and I expected the Shield to be the same.

In fact I know it's the program that the Shield is using that is not as automatic identifying things as on the Mede8er. Maybe there's another program that is easier?

Any tutorial that can help me do things, even if using Kodi?
Here's a decent guide for setting up Kodi:

https://androidpcreview.com/how-to-setup-kodi-the-right-way/

·
Registered
2,701 Posts

Yes, Kodi, and most other players, all need to be configured. One that will find your networked DLNA server is VLC. It will just find your server without any configuration. But I think you'd be happier in the long run with a properly configured Kodi.

·
Registered
802 Posts
shield tv pro vs skystream III plus.
I currently have the skystream. It's limited to DD 5.1 with passthrough to my processor.
Most of the 4k streaming movies in Kodi, say atmos in the info bar when playing. Yet my receiver shows it's stereo and it sound terrible. Wondering if that happens because the Skystream can't passthrough atmos and it defaults to stereo. I would have thought it would default to 5.1, but it doesn't. 1080p movies in 5.1 passthrough fine. I haven't found any 4k movies in 5.1, they all seem to be atmos. (I have an atmos set up that works fine with 4k blu rays)
Will the shield tv passthrough atmos with streaming movies on Kodi to a processor or AVR?
I've read it will do atmos with Netflix, but want about streaming from Kodi?

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
shield tv pro vs skystream III plus.
I currently have the skystream. It's limited to DD 5.1 with passthrough to my processor.
Most of the 4k streaming movies in Kodi, say atmos in the info bar when playing. Yet my receiver shows it's stereo and it sound terrible. Wondering if that happens because the Skystream can't passthrough atmos and it defaults to stereo. I would have thought it would default to 5.1, but it doesn't. 1080p movies in 5.1 passthrough fine. I haven't found any 4k movies in 5.1, they all seem to be atmos. (I have an atmos set up that works fine with 4k blu rays)
Will the shield tv passthrough atmos with streaming movies on Kodi to a processor or AVR?
I've read it will do atmos with Netflix, but want about streaming from Kodi?
What do you mean by "streaming"? Your own rips from discs, other's rips, or from streaming sites through Kodi?

2141 - 2160 of 4897 Posts