2461 - 2480 of 4900 Posts

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
There are some limitations to the Shield "Tube" compared to the Shield Pro, but not worth having it's own Thread.

Here's a link below which shows the differences between the two models.

https://www.androidcentral.com/nvidia-shield-pro-vs-standard-which-should-i-buy
I have the "tube" version, and am perfectly happy with it. The lack of USB connectivity is likely the main reason someone would prefer the Pro version, but I stream using my DLNA server, so no direct connectivity needed. As far as the other apps I use, there's no problem with this model.

Reactions: galonzo and 3DSammy

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Thanks Groove93 and atc98092 for the response and the link. I'll check it out.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I am thinking about getting the Navidia Pro. I have a Fire TV Cube right now. Picture not bad. I have a JVC 540 projector on a 110 screen. With the upscaling of the Pro, would I get a better picture? Thanks
I think the picture is better on my JVC 540 and worth the upgrade.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Looks like the Tube is the shield for me. I only need it for Netflix. My ATV 4K is having an issue with Netflix Atmos. Not sure if it's Apple's issue or Netflix but I'm hoping if I get a shield I will no longer have to worry about who's at fault.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A good NAS isn’t slow at all. I have a home built NAS which consists of a old mini-PC with a media sonic bay enclosure and free NAS and it maxes out my 1GB network. The newer prebuilt NAS either come with or offer expandability to 2.5/5/10GB networks.

If you only plan on using it with 1 device (ie:Shield) in your home you’re better off just getting a hard drive enclosure of some kind, either with Raid or without.
It's still a NAS device, you're just using the USB connection instead of a network to access it. :)

RAID 0 gives you speed, which is something really unnecessary for streaming media. RAID 1 gives you data redundancy, at the cost of only having half the space of the two drives together. But data safety is usually a higher priority for people that take the time to rip their media. Once the NAS is configured, I'm sure the Shield will just see it as a connected storage device, regardless of it's internal configuration.

Thank you ATC & Dave,

TR-004 is not a NAS per se if there is no NAS connected to it.
Qnap called as expansion bay for NAS.

If TR-004 is stand alone without a NAS, it is then an external HDD using USB.
It has no ethernet port. Its like a 4 bay HDD enclosure over USB with RAID capability.

This is the shortest video about it which made me interested :
add WWW youtu.be/WWKbLYL2Cb4 minute 02:00 explain it as external HDD.

I agree with ATC, if I do select RAID it best be RAID 1.

I think I am worried about the Shield Pro 2019 external HDD size limit due to old TV using FAT32 :D
when using external HDD. Damn I am so IT slow.:(

I just read max 16TB external HDD is possible on a Sony TV for playback.
add WWW sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00148248

Is it correct if I assume 16TB is due to 4KB cluster default size, which limits volume and
largest file size to 16TB. Source :
Add WWW docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/file-server/ntfs-overview
So I guess a TR-004 when exceeding 16TB and up to 32TB will make its cluster as 8KB ...yes ?

Sorry, I can't add URL until I post enough.

Guess what. With my son's friends assistance, I found a physical shop who has Shield Pro 2019,
no warranty. 1 unit left.
When I get it, let me mess with it.

Thanks again Gentlemen.

·
Registered
18,525 Posts
Thank you ATC & Dave,

It has no ethernet port. Its like a 4 bay HDD enclosure over USB with RAID capability.

I think I am worried about the Shield Pro 2019 external HDD size limit due to old TV using FAT32 :D

Is it correct if I assume 16TB is due to 4KB cluster default size, which limits volume and
Add WWW docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/file-server/ntfs-overview
So I guess a TR-004 when exceeding 16TB and up to 32TB will make its cluster as 8KB ...yes ?

Guess what. With my son's friends assistance, I found a physical shop who has Shield Pro 2019,

Thanks again Gentlemen.
If all you want to do is play movies to your Shield and don’t really care about long term backups just pick up an external hard drive like a WD 10TB. They’re plenty big enough and can be found in the $160 range now.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Thank you ATC & Dave,

Thanks again Gentlemen.
You must be reading or quoting something wrong. 16TB is massive, there's no movie out there, at least retail, that's 16 TB in size.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
You must be reading or quoting something wrong. 16TB is massive, there's no movie out there, at least retail, that's 16 TB in size.

Massive for a single file, but not a collection. Mine is currently 60TB+. I believe he was talking about the largest size HDD accepted by the device, not the largest file able to be played back.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Massive for a single file, but not a collection. Mine is currently 60TB+. I believe he was talking about the largest size HDD accepted by the device, not the largest file able to be played back.

I didn’t really understand his comments. Cluster size, Sony TV, etc...confused me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Part of the problem with Netflix is that, the movie starts while you are in the preview area. This made it much more difficult to change refresh. No real good point where it can be done seamlessly. Cant change it while browsing titles either, 24 fps sucks for browsing.

Good news though.
Netflix just announced that it is finally letting users disable auto preview feature
https://www.engadget.com/2020/02/06/netflix-autoplay-preview-settings/

Maybe NVidia will now come up with a proper way to change refresh rate properly
I wonder how many complaints it took as Netflix has been ignoring this complaint since they implemented it.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
140 Posts
Was wondering what people are doing for this? Thanks
I have a marantz amp + pre amp for my Atmos speakers. I currently have the shield set to auto and nothing else selected the pure direct set on the marantz receiver.... This seems to ensure I get Atmos... But volume seems low... Haven't finalized in the best setup yet..

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
I have a marantz amp + pre amp for my Atmos speakers. I currently have the shield set to auto and nothing else selected the pure direct set on the marantz receiver.... This seems to ensure I get Atmos... But volume seems low... Haven't finalized in the best setup yet..

Why pure direct and not Atmos? Does that disable audessy?

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
I don't have the option to select Atmos. It's autodetected, it works the same way on my Xbox one x

What app are we talking about. Xbox is like always on Atmos right? Shield shouldn't be.

I understand that you don't select it. But when your cycle through the movie listening modes, one should say "Atmos", your are then changing from that to pure?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Correct on Xbox their Atmos implementation seems to work well now. The app I'm referring to on the shield is Netflix.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Anyone seen a flickering white-ish line at the bottom of the Tv in Hulu programs? I saw it on several shows tonight and the first thing I thought of was overscan so I looked at that. All the big green triangles were at the edge of the screen as they should be.

I switched over to my ATV and I didn’t see it there at all. It’s definitely the Shield or app.

Could it still actually be overscan or something else going on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
318 Posts
Anyone seen a flickering white-ish line at the bottom of the Tv in Hulu programs? I saw it on several shows tonight and the first thing I thought of was overscan so I looked at that. All the big green triangles were at the edge of the screen as they should be.

I switched over to my ATV and I didn’t see it there at all. It’s definitely the Shield or app.

Could it still actually be overscan or something else going on?

Answering myself here... it’s definitely not overscan as I can’t move them out any further. It’s Hulu or Shield+Hulu. Tried every other streaming app and none of them show this. Very odd.

2461 - 2480 of 4900 Posts