AVS Forum banner

2501 - 2520 of 4900 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
I wish. With my Onkyo reciever i have the same problem, or worse actually, as one press on the remote, no matter how long, will just raise the volume 0.5 step, ...

I ended up using a PC on the same network to change my Onkyo's volume to one of four presets via a command line utility called "Onkyo eISCP Control". You can directly set the volume to a specific decibel number. I find four is all I need. The PC is triggered (EventGhost), from an old phone (no sim card) running Tasker to act as a touch screen remote with icons that include the Onkyo volume presets. Of course you don't need to go that elaberate but I collectively have my Projector settings/AVR/Sources and specifics actions such as AVR volume, Shield frame rate toggle ... etc all co-ordinated through that old phone/htpc/harmony hub. I simply don't need to touch remotes that are mostly filled with unused keys.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Got the shield 2019 pro! :))

Now there's one thing that is pissing me off.

The match content color space doesn't work or does it?

Example: playing the witcher on netflix is displayed at bt.2020 hdr and 10bits.
If I stop it and play an old tv show like friends it has over saturated colors because it stays at bt.2020.

This is really bad.
What video settings you guys use to overcome this?

·
Registered
879 Posts
So I've recently bought the nVidia Shield Pro 2019 version. One thing I've noticed is that if I use the nVidia Shield's remote control to change the audio volume, then the volume changes very slowly. I.e. there seems to be a delay between each step that the volume is increased.

If I instead use the TV's remote control, then the volume changes much faster and the delay between each step that the volume is increased is much lower.

In both cases the volume is changed using HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control). The connection is nVidiaShield- > AVR (Marantz SR7008) -> TV (LG OLED C7), all via HDMI.

So I wonder if there is some reason why the volume changes much slower when using the nVidia Shield remote control? Can the delay between volume increase steps be changed e.g. using some setting? :confused:
Thanks everyone that commented on this.

I checked the nVidia Shield support forum, and the topic is apparently being discussed there with the nVidia support, see:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/334315/very-slow-volume-control-using-nvidia-remote-for-m/

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/341579/nvidia-shield-pro-2019-slow-volume-change-via-re/

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/334315/very-slow-volume-control-using-nvidia-remote-for-m/2354890/

Let's hope they fix this, because currently the volume buttons on the nVidia Shield remote control are completely useless to many users, since they change the volume too slowly.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Got the shield 2019 pro! :))

If I stop it and play an old tv show like friends it has over saturated colors because it stays at bt.2020.

This is really bad.
Are you sure HDR is automatically turning off when switching to a program that does not support it?

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
134 Posts
Got the shield 2019 pro! /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif)

This is really bad.
Are you sure HDR is automatically turning off when switching to a program that does not support it?
Yes. Hdr turns off.
It's bt.2020 color space that stays on.

It seems the shield only follows the color space set on:
Display & Sound >> resolution.
Mine is set to 4K 59.940Hz (default)
HDR10 Ready.

In advanced display settings: match content color space is activated but it doesn't deactivate rec.2020 when a rec.709 content is played.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Yes. Hdr turns off.

HDR10 Ready.

In advanced display settings: match content color space is activated but it doesn't deactivate rec.2020 when a rec.709 content is played.
What is the model and make of your display? Some manufacturer/models handle Colorspace switching better than others. Try it with this setting disabled to see what happens.

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
Yes. Hdr turns off.

HDR10 Ready.

Try turning match content color off, reboot the Shield, and see if it works. Keep your default settings to Rec.2020.

My Vizio won't switch if match content color is turned on.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Scratch all that.

My receiver is capable of showing the color space and it doesn't switch to plain YCbCr.
It looks ok because the shield must be expanding the color space to bt.2020 with match color space turned off.

Still this sucks big time:
The Witcher plays at BT.2020 YCbCr 10bits.
Friends plays at BT.2020 YCbCr 10bits.

So you can see the problem.
Friends should be played at YCbCr without bt.2020 flag and 4:2:0.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Scratch all that.

My receiver is capable of showing the color space and it doesn't switch to plain YCbCr.
It looks ok because the shield must be expanding the color space to bt.2020 with match color space turned off.

Still this sucks big time:
The Witcher plays at BT.2020 YCbCr 10bits.
Friends plays at BT.2020 YCbCr 10bits.

So you can see the problem.
Friends should be played at YCbCr without bt.2020 flag and 4:2:0.

Have you tried the hot fixes? I similar issues before getting this update.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/326572/2019-shield-experience-upgrade-810-hotfix-image/

It took a full 24 hours before I was able to download it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks, man, really appreciate.

Sent my serial number to that form.
Going to wait for the hotfix to show up now.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thanks, man, really appreciate.

Sent my serial number to that form.

Going to wait for the hotfix to show up now.

Hope it works for you. I was freaking out the other day thinking my 75” Q90R was on the fritz!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I am getting the Shield Pro tomorrow. Using it with JVC 540 projector. Anyone have any settings they would like to share? I am half way through reading through all these posts, and haven't seen anything yet. Thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am getting the Shield Pro tomorrow. Using it with JVC 540 projector. Anyone have any settings they would like to share? I am half way through reading through all these posts, and haven't seen anything yet. Thanks

Nothing projector specific but I'd would suggest applying for the Hot fix after you've confirmed that the hardware works. Make sure to install Disney+ app as once applied the Hot fix would prevent it's installation. The warning about not being able to back out of Hotfixes once applied, is specific up until the next general release. After that your back in the standard update release schedule.

The details:
2019 SHIELD Experience Upgrade 8.1.0+ HotFix Image

Application form

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think you brought this up before and I asked in the Denon thread because I couldn't get it working. JD said they good rid of it. I have an x1400.
I have an x1400 and am using the Denon 2016 AVR Remote app (on Android). I see the same app on Apple app store was last updated in December, so I'd think it would work.

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
I have an x1400 and am using the Denon 2016 AVR Remote app (on Android). I see the same app on Apple app store was last updated in December, so I'd think it would work.

I was referring to the webui not the app. The app does work yes. Just doesn't have all the info that the webui had.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
When is the official firmware due? I thought they were just getting certification or something.

Sent from my Samsung Note 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
Have you tried the hot fixes? I similar issues before getting this update.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/326572/2019-shield-experience-upgrade-810-hotfix-image/

It took a full 24 hours before I was able to download it.

I received the hot fix yesterday and it fixed the color space change :))

I'm really really happy with my Shield now!

So help me understand, so I can enjoy the A.I. upscaling with Kodi, I need to whitelist 1080p and 720p resolutions so kodi changes resolutions and this way the shield will perform the upscaling, is that correct?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I received the hot fix yesterday and it fixed the color space change :))

I'm really really happy with my Shield now!

So help me understand, so I can enjoy the A.I. upscaling with Kodi, I need to whitelist 1080p and 720p resolutions so kodi changes resolutions and this way the shield will perform the upscaling, is that correct?

You shouldn’t need to do anything except enable AI upscaling. That’s all I did and it’s working in Hulu and Plex.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You shouldn’t need to do anything except enable AI upscaling. That’s all I did and it’s working in Hulu and Plex.

Yeah but I believe with Kodi is different because if you let Kodi do it's thing, it will upscale the video stream by itself.

2501 - 2520 of 4900 Posts