AVS Forum banner

2521 - 2540 of 4863 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Nothing projector specific but I'd would suggest applying for the Hot fix after you've confirmed that the hardware works. Make sure to install Disney+ app as once applied the Hot fix would prevent it's installation. The warning about not being able to back out of Hotfixes once applied, is specific up until the next general release. After that your back in the standard update release schedule.

The details:
2019 SHIELD Experience Upgrade 8.1.0+ HotFix Image

Application form
If you already have D+ installed, will you be able to update it after installing the current hotfix? (i.e. what if D+ adds Atmos support in an update before the next Shield general release?)

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
Yeah but I believe with Kodi is different because if you let Kodi do it's thing, it will upscale the video stream by itself.
If you tell Kodi to output at 1080p or 720p than thats what the Shield will output and the TV will be doing the upscaling.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Yeah but I believe with Kodi is different because if you let Kodi do it's thing, it will upscale the video stream by itself.
That's correct, you need resolution switching turned on in Kodi, and whitelist what you want.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you already have D+ installed, will you be able to update it after installing the current hotfix? (i.e. what if D+ adds Atmos support in an update before the next Shield general release?)

I'm not sure if Disney+ updates work but you may be able to side load an updated APK if your willing. I've cancelled Disney+ so an update never was available after I applied the Hotfix to my shield.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
This Hotfix I see people talking about. Is this firmware for the shield? I googled it and it appears to be beta firmware. I asking because I plan on buying a shield tube soon.

·
Registered
250 Posts
This Hotfix I see people talking about. Is this firmware for the shield? I googled it and it appears to be beta firmware. I asking because I plan on buying a shield tube soon.
Correct, you enter the beta program. It’s worthwhile since there are some important fixes and it’s unknown when they will be released as an official firmware.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
It should be "soon" since the shield pro hasn't had an official update since release.

·
UHD Addict
37,076 Posts
Scratch all that.

My receiver is capable of showing the color space and it doesn't switch to plain YCbCr.
It looks ok because the shield must be expanding the color space to bt.2020 with match color space turned off.

Still this sucks big time:
The Witcher plays at BT.2020 YCbCr 10bits.
Friends plays at BT.2020 YCbCr 10bits.

So you can see the problem.
Friends should be played at YCbCr without bt.2020 flag and 4:2:0.
Some TVs have an issue with that. Fortunately my TCL and Sony UHD TVs have no problem with SDR being sent with BT2020. So I leave the colorspace switching off.

Reactions: ggw2000

·
Registered
384 Posts
Thanks everyone that commented on this.

I checked the nVidia Shield support forum, and the topic is apparently being discussed there with the nVidia support, see:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/334315/very-slow-volume-control-using-nvidia-remote-for-m/

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/341579/nvidia-shield-pro-2019-slow-volume-change-via-re/

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/334315/very-slow-volume-control-using-nvidia-remote-for-m/2354890/

Let's hope they fix this, because currently the volume buttons on the nVidia Shield remote control are completely useless to many users, since they change the volume too slowly.

I'm just glad the menu button can be programmed to be a mute button on the new remote. That makes the slow vol buttons less of a pain.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I received the hot fix yesterday and it fixed the color space change :))

I'm really really happy with my Shield now!

So help me understand, so I can enjoy the A.I. upscaling with Kodi, I need to whitelist 1080p and 720p resolutions so kodi changes resolutions and this way the shield will perform the upscaling, is that correct?

No, You need to prevent Kodi from switching resolution output to 1080p. If Kodi matches resolution output to the source of a 1080p input, the TV will do the upscaling to 4K, and the Shield's AI won't be in effect.
The source has to be 1080p or 720p and 30fps or less, and the Shield's output must be set to 4K so it forces the Shield (Kodi) to upscale from less than 4K to 4K.
This is done by whitelisting only 4k resolutions in Kodi.

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
I bought a the Shield tube to replace my older one. Unfortunately I ran into an issue with Plex. Playback stutters on some movies and sometimes freezes then aborts playback. Some are high bitrate while some are not. The old Shield handles them perfectly.

Anyone have any ideas? Do I just have a defective unit?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Any idea what it fixes?

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/326572/2019-shield-experience-upgrade-810-hotfix-image/2386154/

- Fixes an issue of stutters & cracking sound with few headphones when dolby processing is enabled - Improves volume control for 2015 remote and controller - Fixes and issue where Google home commands would cause the volume to lower but not be raised after the command is completed - Fixes an issue of System hang while enable/disable "Match content color space" on DV playback in Netflix - Includes incremental Dolby vision fixes - Fixes an issue where interlaced video playback exhibits stutters after 13minutes of playback This HotFix image has not been certified by Google so no Disney+ installs or updates from the playstore while on this image but it’ll continue to work as is if you have it installed.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Thanks. Looks like they're getting closer to a final release.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I bought a the Shield tube to replace my older one. Unfortunately I ran into an issue with Plex. Playback stutters on some movies and sometimes freezes then aborts playback. Some are high bitrate while some are not. The old Shield handles them perfectly.

Anyone have any ideas? Do I just have a defective unit?

I believe a fix was released last week:

https://forums.plex.tv/t/new-old-player-crashes-shield-tube-4k-hdr-not-dv/489790/123

https://forums.plex.tv/t/release-announcements-android-tv-beta/154124/277

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Correct, you enter the beta program. It’s worthwhile since there are some important fixes and it’s unknown when they will be released as an official firmware.
Thanks for confirming that for me.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have been having problems getting my xbox controller to connect to my shield. I got it to pair once but didn't work once it was paired. The next time I went to pair it I couldn't get it too. Is there something I am missing ?

2521 - 2540 of 4863 Posts