AVS Forum banner

2581 - 2600 of 4891 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Run ,run ,runaround....
Noticed input lag when trying to play games.Have tried A PS4,and Shield controller....input lag still there, maybe a half second. Just enough to ruin the experience. I talked Nvidia, told me it is unusual...to "Go to settings -> Apps -> System apps -> Bluetooth -> Clear cache, data, and force stop the app and restart the Shield
Once the Shield device is back on, pair the remote/controller and check"

Still there after following instructions.....and even after getting a brand new replacement Shield Pro from Best Buy tonight. I guess i wont be playing games on my new Shield. It is a pretty good streamer though.
Maybe the lag is coming from the TV, did you try game mode?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Maybe the lag is coming from the TV, did you try game mode?
\\

Yes, but was unsuccessful. I did have better luck changing the Shield's display settings to 120hrz. So that is one work around. There still might me a ever so slight delay.I may be able to adjust that out though.I usually use 30hrz HDR display settings. My Harmony will not let me map out a micro for the Shield if i want to use its gaming features. I would like a separate one button Harmony activity
for video, and another to game.Till then i will have to manually have to change display settings to deal with this.If anyone knows a work around I am all ears.

I am glad i'm not addicted to gaming like so many are.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
\\

Yes, but was unsuccessful. I did have better luck changing the Shield's display settings to 120hrz. So that is one work around. There still might me a ever so slight delay.I may be able to adjust that out though.I usually use 30hrz HDR display settings. My Harmony will not let me map out a micro for the Shield if i want to use its gaming features. I would like a separate one button Harmony activity
for video, and another to game.Till then i will have to manually have to change display settings to deal with this.If anyone knows a work around I am all ears.

I am glad i'm not addicted to gaming like so many are.
curious why your usually using 30hz? thats pretty slow. Also is the shield plugged straight in the tv or are you trying to go through the receiver.

·
Registered
549 Posts
curious why your usually using 30hz? thats pretty slow. Also is the shield plugged straight in the tv or are you trying to go through the receiver.
I just prefer 30HZ, for what I watch.My Shield is plugged directly into my TV, not into my AVR which is an older one.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Stupid question is the Nvidia Shield pro better than a Roku Ultra ?
The ultra is much easier to use, but then it does less too. If you are not intimidated by reinstalling Windows on your PC you could probably take advantage of what the Shield offers. If you get confused by tech you would probably be better off with a Roku.

Reactions: ng4ever

·
Registered
300 Posts
The ultra is much easier to use, but then it does less too. If you are not intimidated by reinstalling Windows on your PC you could probably take advantage of what the Shield offers. If you get confused by tech you would probably be better off with a Roku.

Thank you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi All,

I am new here.
I been lurking from time to time since last year on AVS to read user experience on certain products of interest.
So much I learned from here. Thank you.

I have done the search both on Google and in this forum search engine but I could not find it.
For Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 owners :

I am thinking to use Qnap TR-004 in its USB 3.0 mode to connect to Shield TV Pro 2019.
Add WWW to qnap.com/en-us/product/tr-004
Most likely in INDIVIDUAL config or RAID 0 config.
Can Shield TV Pro 2019 recognize TR-004 in either those 2 configurations ?
Why I do not want a NAS is because it is too slow and I want to keep things as simple
as possible as I consider myself an IT dummy :mad:

I can't get Shield TV Pro 2019 yet in my country, Indonesia.
It has to be special ordered thru online shops with 3 weeks import waiting period and zero warranty.

I can get the TR-004 though, the brand has 2 local distributors.
I have asked them the same question but their tech or customers based do not use
Shield TV Pro 2019, but more for photo and video guys and no one can answer.

Thank you in advance.
To update my own question with my own findings.
I bought the Shield ( last stock from a brick and mortar shop ) and the TR-004.
It can do all I asked/worry about :D ....so happy.
It is FAST reading HDD's inside the TR-004.

I am very happy with Shield for its processing power.
I choose KODI instead of PLEX as media player and video library management.
I don't like PLEX because it is sluggish compared to KODI and PLEX must be internet connected
even when I am watching from external HDD:eek: , otherwise my library wont show:(

Thanks again... ALL

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Stupid question is the Nvidia Shield pro better than a Roku Ultra ?
Depends entirely on your needs. If you're only streaming from Internet services (Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, etc.), it's tough to beat the Roku. Easy to use interface, supports 4K/HDR and Atmos on most (but not all) services. Wired or wireless, and the remote offers TV controls (volume, power, mute). However, if you stream media from a computer or NAS on your home network, the Roku has limitations in codec support, so transcoding might be necessary. And the Roku does not support any lossless audio codec, so your Blu Ray rips with TrueHD/Master Audio won't play.

Using an app like Kodi, the Shield is capable of playing virtually anything without transcoding, all lossless audio from ripped movies, Atmos/DTS:X, and of course the newest Shield supports Dolby Vision. It is lacking HDR for YouTube, but that's really the only codec it's lacking. It also has a Gigabit Ethernet connection, while the Roku is only Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps), which is a problem for UHD rips. The Shield is more complicated to configure for playing your home media, as Kodi (and other apps) all have their little quirks that must be configured for resolution and framerate matching, and ensuring the lossless audio is passed through.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Depends entirely on your needs. If you're only streaming from Internet services (Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, etc.), it's tough to beat the Roku. Easy to use interface, supports 4K/HDR and Atmos on most (but not all) services. Wired or wireless, and the remote offers TV controls (volume, power, mute). However, if you stream media from a computer or NAS on your home network, the Roku has limitations in codec support, so transcoding might be necessary. And the Roku does not support any lossless audio codec, so your Blu Ray rips with TrueHD/Master Audio won't play.

Using an app like Kodi, the Shield is capable of playing virtually anything without transcoding, all lossless audio from ripped movies, Atmos/DTS:X, and of course the newest Shield supports Dolby Vision. It is lacking HDR for YouTube, but that's really the only codec it's lacking. It also has a Gigabit Ethernet connection, while the Roku is only Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps), which is a problem for UHD rips. The Shield is more complicated to configure for playing your home media, as Kodi (and other apps) all have their little quirks that must be configured for resolution and framerate matching, and ensuring the lossless audio is passed through.

Cool thanks!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I wish. With my Onkyo reciever i have the same problem, or worse actually, as one press on the remote, no matter how long, will just raise the volume 0.5 step, so i have to click the volume buttons a ridiculous amount of time to change the volume a reasonable amount. And this is both via CEC and IR. Luckily i have my harmony remote which does long press volume changes just fine, but i would really like to ditch that, and mostly use google home & the shield remote, as that is all really need for daily use. Someone here, or possibly at the nvidia forum, told me "it's just the way it is" :( I do believe this is BS, as the shield app does long press to continually change volume just fine, but thats an icky solution for me.
Works the same on my Yamahas as well. Must just be the way they (Nvidia) has programmed the volume function.
Just want to add to the chorus that is frustrated with this. Have to keep either my AVR or TV remote around precisely because of this issue.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well, latest hotfix fixed it for me :)
Just realized your issue wasn't the slow rate of volume change, but that you had to manually press it every time. I'm one of those that is frustrated with how slow volume changes with the remote. That wasn't fixed. Glad your issue was, though!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just realized your issue wasn't the slow rate of volume change, but that you had to manually press it every time. I'm one of those that is frustrated with how slow volume changes with the remote. That wasn't fixed. Glad your issue was, though!
Ahh i see, there were TWO issues. I do agree that it is slower than my harmony remote, however it is quick enough for me :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sixth HotFix(32.7.301.98):
- Resolves issue with high bit rate audio dropping audio at fixed locations. Note: This fixes will apply to apps using SHIELDs audio engine like Plex/Photos & Videos. Kodi has it's own engine which has not fixed this bug yet so the fix will not apply to Kodi and apps like it.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Video Pass Thru using Plex on the Shield

The only issue I have had using The Shield/Plex combo is playing 1080P material from my Synology NAS. I still am not able to find a way to enable "video pass thru" such that Plex does NOT up-convert 1080P material to 4K. I have an external video processor that will do a better job. I searched on the Plex Forum and found nothing current other than some old posts that said Plex was still working on it. I searched here and also found nothing as well.

Has this issue been addressed by Plex? And if so, how do I enable this function?

·
Registered
216 Posts
The only issue I have had using The Shield/Plex combo is playing 1080P material from my Synology NAS. I still am not able to find a way to enable "video pass thru" such that Plex does NOT up-convert 1080P material to 4K. I have an external video processor that will do a better job. I searched on the Plex Forum and found nothing current other than some old posts that said Plex was still working on it. I searched here and also found nothing as well.

Has this issue been addressed by Plex? And if so, how do I enable this function?
Cant you just select "direct play" in plex and it sends the file untouched?

2581 - 2600 of 4891 Posts