AVS Forum banner

3701 - 3720 of 4914 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
I finally got my hands on the 2019 shield pro. I mainly got this to stream my gaming pc to my bedroom. Gamestream is absolutely awful.. Why is there is there no option for 120 fps? You mean to tell me that I can set the device to 120 hz, but I cant actually play in 120 fps. Moonlight allows it, and how embarrassing is it that an open source project is leaps and bounds better than gamestream. Not only can I use 120 fps, but the input lag is significantly reduced. I measured the input lag of destiny 2 in gamestream at 100-115 ms which is unplayable to me with a mouse and keyboard. Moonlight i'm able to have an extremely comfortable 60-70 ms. My host pc is an i7 7700 k with a geforce 2070 super and I get 25-40 ms locally.

Moonlight has its own problems though being based off geforce experience. Every time I launch a game in moonlight geforce experience enables mouse acceleration and moves the mouse speed from default of 6 to 8. The fix is to add desktop as a custom app and then manually readjust pointer precision and mouse speed before launching game, but then I can't play in hdr using this method... And why should i have to use a third party app to get a better experience anyway? Completely shameful.

Also, half the time when using gamestream my keyboard just wont work, it works fine 100 % of the time in every other app including moonlight. Another issue is side buttons on the mouse don't work in gamestream... I'm now seeing this issue was reported FIVE years ago and there still is no fix? Does NVIDIA pay any attention whatsoever to gamestream?

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/gamestream/19/203336/mouse-side-buttons-not-registering/

"not good..... 2020 and still the same problem......"

As far as a media player, the ai up scaling is pretty good. I don't think it's as good as madvrs upscale, but it's pretty good.

Also, I have to manually match the framerate each time I watch something on netflix? How absurd is that? Apple tv you just enable the feature and it works every time. I can't believe this device cost so much and has all these issues, some of which have apparently plagued the device for years.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Don’t have a RTI but do have URC MX-980's that I program. For the Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 I use direct IR control via a Inteset IReTV USB IR Receiver (here) and a FLIRC (here). For direct control I use the codes from URC which did not include the number keys so used Pronto hex codes posted on the net. The FLIRC is used for the same buttons as the Shield remote. I did not duplicate these with the direct control remote, example, have PLAY on the FLIRC so PLAY is not on the direct remote.

I used a NEC CD player codes for the FLIRC, F4 from the FLIRC Keyboard was added, this toggles Netflix info display. Also use a Arteck HB030B keyboard (here) via Bluetooth for direct input.

NOTE: FLIRC has a shortcut key for Netflix but it does not work.

Amazing info, thank you!!

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Is DV a type of HDR?

bob
Yes, Dolby Vision is a more dynamic version of HDR. HDR10+ and HLG are also more dynamic versions. The difference with DV is that Dolby collects a license fee, while HDR10 is license free (don't know about HLG). Are the visual differences? I don't have a DV capable display, so no personal experience. But I've seen people argue it both ways. DV/HLG/HDR10+ can absolutely look better than standard HDR10. One of my Samsung TVs supports HLG, and a couple of test videos I have look great on it. But test videos are designed to showcase a particular item, so one would expect it to look good. :D

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
@Tygeezy , you can install the Refresh Rate app and configure it per app; otherwise, hit me up in the PMs, and I'll gladly take that 2019 Pro off your hands, at full retail even :D

·
Registered
384 Posts
I finally got my hands on the 2019 shield pro. I mainly got this to stream my gaming pc to my bedroom. Gamestream is absolutely awful.. Why is there is there no option for 120 fps? You mean to tell me that I can set the device to 120 hz, but I cant actually play in 120 fps. Moonlight allows it, and how embarrassing is it that an open source project is leaps and bounds better than gamestream. Not only can I use 120 fps, but the input lag is significantly reduced. I measured the input lag of destiny 2 in gamestream at 100-115 ms which is unplayable to me with a mouse and keyboard. Moonlight i'm able to have an extremely comfortable 60-70 ms. My host pc is an i7 7700 k with a geforce 2070 super and I get 25-40 ms locally.

Moonlight has its own problems though being based off geforce experience. Every time I launch a game in moonlight geforce experience enables mouse acceleration and moves the mouse speed from default of 6 to 8. The fix is to add desktop as a custom app and then manually readjust pointer precision and mouse speed before launching game, but then I can't play in hdr using this method... And why should i have to use a third party app to get a better experience anyway? Completely shameful.

Also, half the time when using gamestream my keyboard just wont work, it works fine 100 % of the time in every other app including moonlight. Another issue is side buttons on the mouse don't work in gamestream... I'm now seeing this issue was reported FIVE years ago and there still is no fix? Does NVIDIA pay any attention whatsoever to gamestream?

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/gamestream/19/203336/mouse-side-buttons-not-registering/

"not good..... 2020 and still the same problem......"

As far as a media player, the ai up scaling is pretty good. I don't think it's as good as madvrs upscale, but it's pretty good.

Also, I have to manually match the framerate each time I watch something on netflix? How absurd is that? Apple tv you just enable the feature and it works every time. I can't believe this device cost so much and has all these issues, some of which have apparently plagued the device for years.

I look at the Gamestream feature as a gimmick (marketing) to sell more PC Nvidia cards because you need one to use it. Now that they have Geforce Now service, they'll probably ignore gamestream more. I gave up on trying that and just run an HDMI cable from the PC to the TV. Network based (WAN or LAN) anything compared to local media will never be rock solid stable data communication.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Jack Ryan season 1 and Bosch season 2.
Is DV a type of HDR?

bob
Dolby Vision requires a license. What's different from regular HDR is that the it is Dynamic and not static. Regular HDR stays constant throughout the entire video, whereas Dolby Vision is constantly changing through a movie or show by the use of Metadata. This means colors pop more in bright and dark scenes. HDR 10 plus is the same as Dolby Vision, but no license fees. HLG is a broadcast version of regular static HDR. Dynamic HDR is better since you can see more HDR pop throughout bright and dark scenes.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I look at the Gamestream feature as a gimmick (marketing) to sell more PC Nvidia cards because you need one to use it. Now that they have Geforce Now service, they'll probably ignore gamestream more. I gave up on trying that and just run an HDMI cable from the PC to the TV. Network based (WAN or LAN) anything compared to local media will never be rock solid stable data communication.

It shouldn’t be more than a gimmick because moonlight works great other than bugs caused by nvidia themselves since it uses GeForce experience for streaming. It’s clear they do view it as something like that given the lack of support.

Local streaming should always be better than internet streaming assuming you have a good enough pc because the latency will always be smaller.

·
Registered
466 Posts
@Tygeezy , you can install the Refresh Rate app and configure it per app; otherwise, hit me up in the PMs, and I'll gladly take that 2019 Pro off your hands, at full retail even :D

That program is pretty cool, but buggy... If I use the quick menu button it seems to break this app. Prime video is throwing hdcp errors.

It’s great for moonlight since I can tell it to automatically go to 1080 p 120 hz.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Dolby Vision requires a license. What's different from regular HDR is that the it is Dynamic and not static. Regular HDR stays constant throughout the entire video, whereas Dolby Vision is constantly changing through a movie or show by the use of Metadata. This means colors pop more in bright and dark scenes. HDR 10 plus is the same as Dolby Vision, but no license fees. HLG is a broadcast version of regular static HDR. Dynamic HDR is better since you can see more HDR pop throughout bright and dark scenes.

It would be nice if the shield had a dynamic tone mapper like some UHD players have and madvr on the pc side. If you have madvr dynamic tonemapping tweaked right it looks just as good as Dolby vision. Those highlights that are clipped in hdr 10 show full specular highlight detail. My tv had dynamic tonemapping, but it over brightens certain scenes unfortunately.

·
Registered
384 Posts
It shouldn’t be more than a gimmick because moonlight works great other than bugs caused by nvidia themselves since it uses GeForce experience for streaming. It’s clear they do view it as something like that given the lack of support.

Local streaming should always be better than internet streaming assuming you have a good enough pc because the latency will always be smaller.

I remember years ago when I wanted to mirror my PC to an Android tablet so I could play Xcom in bed. I used Splashtop because they did a mouse emulation that worked on a touch screen. Nvidia just has too many priorities to juggle, where Splashtop and moonlight have one job to do, and they do it well.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
That program is pretty cool, but buggy... If I use the quick menu button it seems to break this app. Prime video is throwing hdcp errors.

It’s great for moonlight since I can tell it to automatically go to 1080 p 120 hz.
For Prime, I set the app to open and stay at 23.976, since most stuff I watch in Prime is at this frame rate; I'll occasionally go back in and select Match content frame rate if I see a particular show is different than this (in which case I have no errors when the frame rate changes to match).

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Yes, Dolby Vision is a more dynamic version of HDR. HDR10+ and HLG are also more dynamic versions. The difference with DV is that Dolby collects a license fee, while HDR10 is license free (don't know about HLG). Are the visual differences? I don't have a DV capable display, so no personal experience. But I've seen people argue it both ways. DV/HLG/HDR10+ can absolutely look better than standard HDR10. One of my Samsung TVs supports HLG, and a couple of test videos I have look great on it. But test videos are designed to showcase a particular item, so one would expect it to look good. :D

Well..not exactly. A bit of a jumble there.

HDR is HDR. DV, HDR10, HDR10+ and HLG are versions of HDR.

HLG is used primarily for broadcast TV (BBC has used it and some US broadcasters at times)

HDR10 is the baseline standard for HDR and all HDR equipment and content is backwards compatible with HDR10. It offers static metadata, so the HDR values apply to the entire show or movie.

Dolby Vision (DV) and HDR10+ offer dynamic metadata that allow the HDR values to vary from scene to scene.

Dolby Vision requires a licensing fee, while HDR10+ does not require the same licensing fees (it’s not free-use, but much cheaper). The vast majority of competitors haven’t been keen to jump on board, so it is almost exclusively limited to Samsung displays.

Dolby Vision and HDR10+ should offer a better experience than vanilla HDR10, but generally speaking the noticeable differences are minimum or non-existent. A lot of people test both versions of the same UHD’s and don’t see a big difference between them.

My 2019 TCL 6-Series QLED R625 Calibrated Settings

·
Registered
466 Posts
For Prime, I set the app to open and stay at 23.976, since most stuff I watch in Prime is at this frame rate; I'll occasionally go back in and select Match content frame rate if I see a particular show is different than this (in which case I have no errors when the frame rate changes to match).

Browsing at 24 hz is just painful. I’d rather just do a manual switch. Hopefully they fix that bug that disables the app when you watch something and press the quick settings button.

The best feature for this app is setting default resolution for apps because you have to go into an endless amount of sub menus to switch to 1080 p 120 hz.

3701 - 3720 of 4914 Posts