AVS Forum banner

4201 - 4220 of 4891 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Right and that is a basic, day 1 setting to apply. You should whitelist any and all resolutions in Kodi that your display is capable with. If someone doesn’t know to do that, they probably weren’t ready to jump into something as powerful and versatile as Kodi.

My 2019 TCL 6-Series QLED R625 Calibrated Settings
Only if you wish to have your TV upscale - some people bought the shield specifically for the AI upscaling, and some Tv's aren't all that good at upscaling, in which case having the shield upscale may be better. Should not assume that people don't know what they are doing.

·
Registered
184 Posts
You didn’t answer the question. What app are you using for playback of a 1080p BD remux? With either Plex or Kodi, AI upscaling isn’t available or needed.

If you are not allowing Plex to match both resolution and refresh rate...you are doing something wrong. If you are allowing Plex to do that, the Shield will not attempt to upscale anything.

PLEX and no, I'm not doing anything wrong !
I made many comparisons and I don't like the AI upscaling at all but it's fine if you like it. Please stop assuming i'm not using it properly.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Only if you wish to have your TV upscale - some people bought the shield specifically for the AI upscaling, and some Tv's aren't all that good at upscaling, in which case having the shield upscale may be better. Should not assume that people don't know what they are doing.

Allowing the display to handle the upscaling, unless you have invested in a high quality renderer, is almost universally preferred. Forcing the Shield or any other streaming device to upscale is a worst case scenario when a device must do so in a situation where it is not capable of resolution matching/switching.

If you do not use the Refresh Rate app (or in circumstances where the Refresh Rate app is incompatible with another app) you will have no other choice than to allow the Shield TV to upscale the image for everything OTHER than Plex, Kodi or their capable variations. AI upscaling or not, this is not ideal.

Your best option, if you truly care about picture quality, is to use the Refresh Rate app and bypass the Shield TV upscaling. One of the primary complaints of the older versions of the Shield’s was the upscaling performance. This was usually compared to the Apple TV, which does a much better job of it. The problem there however is that it ignores the best option, which is no upscaling by the device. The video need the be manipulated by the streaming device. If you are someone who cares enough to even be aware that the NVIDIA added AI upscaling to the 2019 Sheila TV...I can almost guarantee you have a display that is more capable of upscaling the imagine.

If people bought the 2019 version of the Shield TV because of the addition of AI upscaling, they made the NVIDIA marketing department very happy.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Google updated the app very recently. It now supports HDR via software decoding. If the framerate is 30 or below, it plays fine. Any higher it's either choppy on the video freezes. It's also restricted to 1080, even on 4K videos. But it's something to tide us over until they switch to the AV1 video codec.

Google updated the app very recently. It now supports HDR via software decoding. If the framerate is 30 or below, it plays fine. Any higher it's either choppy on the video freezes. It's also restricted to 1080, even on 4K videos. But it's something to tide us over until they switch to the AV1 video codec.

Can They update to VP9.2 via software? I’m assuming this is a hardware upgrade and not software. Is the AV1 codec the only thing they can do to bring is close to VP9.2 spec being as older shield do not equip the proper hardware?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Can They update to VP9.2 via software? I’m assuming this is a hardware upgrade and not software. Is the AV1 codec the only thing they can do to bring is close to VP9.2 spec being as older shield do not equip the proper hardware?

VP9 Profile 2 is Hardware, not software, thus the HDR software update to Youtube.

·
Registered
26,500 Posts
Allowing the display to handle the upscaling, unless you have invested in a high quality renderer, is almost universally preferred.
This is a tremendous oversimplification. Upscaling has to be done somewhere, and the chips built into many TVs do a mediocre to poor job of it. If the source device has a better processor, you should do the upscaling there and only feed the display what it sees as a 4K image. When watching Blu-rays, I prefer my OPPO player's upscaling over my projector's.

This is not to say that the NVIDIA Shield has such a superior processor. I'm not impressed with the AI upscaling at all. However, you can't just make a blanket declaration that it's always preferred to do upscaling in the TV/display.

I've only had the Shield a couple days and need to do a lot more testing with it, but the "Basic" upscaling mode seems decent enough so far. It's mostly the AI-Enhanced upscaling mode that I find problematic.

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
...you clearly are doing something wrong if you are using Plex and the Shield is upscaling anything. It shouldn’t be.

Can you please stop making all these black and white claims adding you're the only one who knows how to use their gear?

Plenty of people intentionally want the shield to upscale, I will agree that at one point it was universally excepted that with most devices you want the tv doing the upscaling. But now that can be very brand dependent.

As someone linked above some good comparisons were made when this thing came out and the shield was proven to hold it's own against most other devices.

Your posts come off as condescending and arrogant.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Can you please stop making all these black and white claims adding you're the only one who knows how to use their gear?

Plenty of people intentionally want the shield to upscale, I will agree that at one point it was universally excepted that with most devices you want the tv doing the upscaling. But now that can be very brand dependent.

As someone linked above some good comparisons were made when this thing came out and the shield was proven to hold it's own against most other devices.

Your posts come off as condescending and arrogant.

I am sorry if you don’t like it or agree with it, but both Plex and Kodi should have resolution and frame rate matching enabled. If someone is streaming a 1080p BD remux using Plex and the Shield TV is upscaling it...they are doing something wrong. Plain and simple.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Turn off Shield's upscaling?

Is there a way to turn off the Shield Pro's upscaling totally?

The sources for it that I use are Netflix, Disney+, CBS AA, and Amazon, and it seems to upscale any HD/SD content regardless of settings. I don't want it to do that - I prefer to use the scaler in my LG E6 OLED, which for me does a better job of it.

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
I am sorry if you don’t like it or agree with it, but both Plex and Kodi should have resolution and frame rate matching enabled. If someone is streaming a 1080p BD remux using Plex and the Shield TV is upscaling it...they are doing something wrong. Plain and simple.

So you're telling me that without a doubt every tv out there upscaled better than the shield?

If that statement is not true than your claim is false.

I'd love to see some data that you could back up your claim with.

I don't want to turn this thread into a bunch of bickering so I'll let it go.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
So you're telling me that without a doubt every tv out there upscaled better than the shield?

If that statement is not true than your claim is false.

I'd love to see some data that you could back up your claim with.

I don't want to turn this thread into a bunch of bickering so I'll let it go.

I am telling you that if you are using Plex and/or Kodi correctly, the Shield will not upscale the image and AI upscaling will not be enabled. If your display is of such poor quality that this is an issue, AI upscaling via the Shield should be the least of your concerns.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
I am telling you that if you are using Plex and/or Kodi correctly, the Shield will not upscale the image and AI upscaling will not be enabled. If your display is of such poor quality that this is an issue, AI upscaling via the Shield should be the least of your concerns.

It sounds like you're assuming all source material is of spotless quality. If it's not, and it's a lower quality version, then I assume that upscaling with Shield could help.

·
Registered
7,605 Posts

Well we have the same TCL 6 series and I'm not convinced that it does a better job than the shield.

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
It sounds like you're assuming all source material is of spotless quality. If it's not, and it's a lower quality version, then I assume that upscaling with Shield could help.

He's saying the tv upscaler will do better than the shield. All content on a 4k tv that is below 4k will be upscaled. The question is do we let the tv or the media device do that upscaling.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Let's bring this back full circle...because this is the original post I replied to about this:

same here, the AI is not very good IMO.
Too aggressive even with 1080p bluray remux and unwatchable with low quality content.
''enhanced'' is the way to go if you want a natural looking picture.

This user lists two displays: JVC X550R & LG OLED C8. Neither should be struggling with upscaling a 1080p BD remux and with either display and in this user's case, Plex on the Shield TV should be set to match both resolution and frame rate. Complaints about the AI upscaling in reference to that content, with that app and on the Shield TV are odd and misplaced...since the Shield TV shouldn't be upscaling in that scenario.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Guess I'm the only one that kinda likes the AI upscaling. I don't find the halos noticeable in real world content like you would in a test pattern.
No you're not - I like it too.

I'm not one who spends his time in his theater watching test patterns - I watch movies.

In the camera forums there's a term for those who ignore what pictures look like and spend their time analyzing close-up blowups of the images looking for flaws: "pixel peepers."

There's also the old expression, "missing the forest for the trees."

Remember that the purpose of test patterns is specifically to highlight where what is being shown differs from the straight unmodified original. The question is not whether AI Upscaling looks different from the original but whether it looks better or worse, and to my eyes - using a 4K projector throwing an image eleven feet wide - AI Upscaling usually looks better on than off.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Guess I'm the only one that kinda likes the AI upscaling. I don't find the halos noticeable in real world content like you would in a test pattern.

I’m with you. I like it too.

Reactions: Juboy
4201 - 4220 of 4891 Posts