AVS Forum banner

4261 - 4280 of 4899 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Speaking only for myself, the Refresh Rate app allows for the ever-increasing amount of true 24.0 Hz content on Netflix to play correctly without being forced out at 23.967 Hz which induces an annoying frame drop every 41 secs. My primary streamer, the Apple TV4K, does not Match Frame Rate when encountering 24.0 Hz content, it forces it out at 23.967 Hz. I purchased the Shield because it would handle Netflix 24.0 Hz content properly. Crazy expensive for being primarily a Netflix streamer but given the scarcity of the Shield I'm pretty sure I'll recover my cost if Apple ever acknowledges that 24.0 Hz exists.:)

Not a complete list, more just a fraction, but the below link contains many Netflix Originals along with non-originals that are native 24.0 Hz.

True 24.0 Hz streaming titles

I know about Apple's blind spot with 24p - I also own the ATV4K. So since the Shield handles 24p properly, why/how do you use the Refresh Rate app? Or is there a version for the ATV4K and that's what you're using...?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I'm still trying to understand the purpose of the Refresh Rate app (I don't have any interest in the remote remapping part - all the buttons seem to have a purpose already).

Can you give an example or two where its use would be better than just letting things play out as they are sent? I have the Shield Pro feeding an LG E6 OLED through a Denon 4300 AVR.

Thanks.
I don't use any of the button remapping either.

It is literally about the refresh rate of content and allowing the refresh rate of your content and your display to match. The first version of the app only dealt with refresh rates and the resolution matching came later.

Matching the refresh rate is about reducing judder and playing back the content as faithfully as possible. Here is a explanation from the Fire TV:

Most movies and TV shows are recorded at 23.976 frames per second (fps). Why such an odd frame rate is used is not important for this discussion, but it’s the source of the issues that the frame rate matching feature fixes. Since, by default, the Fire TV is updating the TV image 59.94 times per second, it needs to figure out how to display the 23.976 frames per second of most videos within the 59.94 refresh rate. If a 59.94 fps video was being played, it would simply display one frame every time it updated the TV image. But since 23.976 does not divide evenly into 59.94, the Fire TV must show some frames more often than other frames.

When playing a 23.976 fps video on a TV set to a refresh rate of 59.94 Hz, which was the only option prior to the new frame rate matching feature, the Fire TV must constantly switch between showing a frame 3 times and then showing the next frame 2 times. This results in something called video judder, which makes motion and camera pans in videos appear choppy because you are literally seeing half of the frames more often than the other half.

The solution to eliminating video judder is to simply display every frame in a video only once. The way to achieve this is to set the TV’s refresh rate to the same value as the videos frame rate. If a 23.976 fps video is being played, then the TV should be set to 23.976 Hz so that the image on the TV only updates once per video frame.

This is exactly what the new frame rate matching feature of the Amazon Fire TV does. When enabled, it will change your TVs refresh rate to exactly match every video you start to play. If the video you begin playing is shot at 59.94 fps, then the TV does not need to be updated because that is the default frame rate of the Fire TV user interface. But when you play a video with any other frame rate, the Fire TV will adjust your TV’s refresh rate just before the video begins to play when you have frame rate matching enabled.

https://www.aftvnews.com/explanation-of-the-new-frame-rate-matching-feature-on-the-amazon-fire-tv/
The resolution matching is about keeping the Shield TV from doing any upscaling. So that 720p content gets sent to your display as 720p or 1080p as 1080p or 2160p as 2160p. Without resolution matching, if you have the Shield TV to output at 4K resolution...everything below 4K will be upscaled by the Shield before it reaches your display. Why is that a problem? The Shield SUCKS at upscaling. The vast majority of 4K displays will do a much better job and resolution matching let's them do it.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Is there a forum here dealing with running the Plex Server on the Shield Pro? I've looked but haven't been able to find one so far.

I've got the Plex Server set up and running, and have a USB 'test drive' connected to it with a few MP4 videos on it. Seems to work fine (I also have a NAS with Plex Server on it that I want to remove from active duty).

What I can't figure out is how to get content onto that drive without physically pulling it off the Shield, which either Plex or Shield (can't remember now) warns against doing. I'd like to move content from my NAS to that drive over the network if that is possible.

I've checked the Shield/Plex help pages on the Plex site, but everything there is about an earlier model from years ago, and many of the menu options referenced no longer exist.
Up until last week I ran PMS on my 2015 Shield for about 2 years. The reason why I'm not running it on my Shield now is because for some strange reason, the Plex Database jumped to 7 gigs in size on 2 occasions within a 3 week period of time. I haven't found a solution to fix this but for now I'm just running Kodi and connecting my NAS directories in this manner. I'm not quite happy with the Plex Media Server version on Freenas because it appears not to be "up to date" compared to the Shield's server.

When things were working, it was pretty solid on the Shield. What sealed the deal was it's performance regarding the Plex app for Android Auto in my car. Pulling up songs was much quicker and snappier.
Playback on the Shield and mobile devices was pretty flawless as well. There was no need to transcode on the Shield, so movies played without a hitch. My phone trancoded audio, and my tablet transcoded 4k content, but again playback was seemless and my Shield never struggled.

In order to get the Plex Media Server to to read your content, you must go into the Storage section under Device Preferences and Mount your Network Storage (For use with a NAS). In the Plex settings, you will need to enable the Plex Media Server as well and let it configure itself. Then you will need to use the Plex Web interface and log into your account. This will allow you to create your directories for the content you want to stream. As you browse for your content, you will notice that the drives you mounted on the Shield will appear in the web interface as well.

The process is similar to Kodi, in that you can tell Plex what kind of content you will be streaming and the PMS will scrape the metadata for you.

Reactions: DougDingle

·
UHD Addict
37,084 Posts
I'm still trying to understand the purpose of the Refresh Rate app (I don't have any interest in the remote remapping part - all the buttons seem to have a purpose already).

Can you give an example or two where its use would be better than just letting things play out as they are sent? I have the Shield Pro feeding an LG E6 OLED through a Denon 4300 AVR.

Thanks.
The Refresh rate app is imperative for a TV that has judder with 24P content sent as 60P. For me, it doesn't matter too much. Since my TCL and Sony UHD TVs have no problem with 24P content sent as 60P. They don't have a judder issue like many TVs do in that situation.

Reactions: DougDingle

·
Premium Member
35,127 Posts
I know about Apple's blind spot with 24p - I also own the ATV4K. So since the Shield handles 24p properly, why/how do you use the Refresh Rate app? Or is there a version for the ATV4K and that's what you're using...?
That's the problem, there is no Refresh Rate app for the Apple TV OS, it's only available for Android TV systems. As far as to use, it's all automatic, when Netflix loads up 24.0 Hz content the RR app senses it and reverts the Shield's output to the correct frame rate. I don't have to interact with the process at all, it just works.

My Refresh Rate app settings for Netflix are shown in the image below.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
I find if my shield sits a day or so, when I wake it, some apps like Disney+ and Prime Video just don't connect. Yet others do. I have to do a full restart of the Shield TV tube in order to get them to connect again. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting wifi, but it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Excuse my laziness in not wanting to deal with searching this thread: what's the Netflix app's current status on the 2019 Shields? Does it give 4K? Atmos? HDR10? (I don't need DV since I use a projector that can't do DV, just HDR10.)

What about 1080+Atmos (a film I've had pitched to me Roma, is black and white 1080 with Atmos!)

I'm away from home, or I could just test this out myself!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Excuse my laziness in not wanting to deal with searching this thread: what's the Netflix app's current status on the 2019 Shields? Does it give 4K? Atmos? HDR10? (I don't need DV since I use a projector that can't do DV, just HDR10.)

What about 1080+Atmos (a film I've had pitched to me Roma, is black and white 1080 with Atmos!)

I've only had mine for a few days, and have watched some Netflix content, and UHD, DV, Atmos is supported on the content I've watched. Can't speak to HDR10, nor to Atmos support at 1080.

I also have Disney+, Amazon, and CBS AA. The only app that needs work in my setup is CBS AA, where it only puts out two channel stereo audio. I've filed several reports with CBS and some of their boilerplate responses have been hilarious. The latest thanks me for alerting them that Descriptive Audio is not working correctly.

I also have the ATV4K, and so far I prefer the Shield to the Apple in most respects.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Has anyone had frame drops/stuttering in Netflix when switching content to the native framerate? This seems to happen with either the refreshrate app, or using the built in manual refresh rate switching.

·
UHD Addict
37,084 Posts
I find if my shield sits a day or so, when I wake it, some apps like Disney+ and Prime Video just don't connect. Yet others do. I have to do a full restart of the Shield TV tube in order to get them to connect again. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting wifi, but it doesn't matter.
I've not run across that issue. But with all my Shields, 2019 and 2017, sometimes one, two, or three icons will disappear and it will show some generic android Icon instead. And the only way to get back the proper app icon is to reboot the Shield.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
2,196 Posts

I've only had mine for a few days, and have watched some Netflix content, and UHD, DV, Atmos is supported on the content I've watched. Can't speak to HDR10, nor to Atmos support at 1080.

I also have Disney+, Amazon, and CBS AA. The only app that needs work in my setup is CBS AA, where it only puts out two channel stereo audio. I've filed several reports with CBS and some of their boilerplate responses have been hilarious. The latest thanks me for alerting them that Descriptive Audio is not working correctly.

I also have the ATV4K, and so far I prefer the Shield to the Apple in most respects.
Have you investigated transferring your CBSAA subscription to watching it through Amazon? That's always given me 5.1 and 1080.

Not sure which of them to contact first about this. Probably Amazon, to make sure it's set to receive the transfer.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Have you investigated transferring your CBSAA subscription to watching it through Amazon? That's always given me 5.1 and 1080.

You can't "transfer" it since you're paying thorough Amazon instead of paying the service directly. (which is entirely why HBOMAX is fighting with Roku and Amazon) You have to terminate one service and then add that service to your subscribed Prime channels.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I thought about that myself but CBS AA through Amazon doesn't give you Dolby Vision AFAIK.

Very annoying the sound is 2.0 especially when a few months ago it was 5.1

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I thought about that myself but CBS AA through Amazon doesn't give you Dolby Vision AFAIK.

Very annoying the sound is 2.0 especially when a few months ago it was 5.1

Of the services I pay for, I like Amazon the least. I would never give them a piece of action, even if it meant having to put up with stereo audio. If it wasn't for the two day shipping, I wouldn't subscribe to their streaming service at all.

When I filled out the bug form about the stereo audio, I had to select which device I was using, and the Shield was not on the list. I had to select "unsupported device" to be able to submit the form.

Note, below that despite it not working correctly on the Shield, Android TV is listed as a supported device. I just got this response from CBS tech support:

We are sorry for any confusion. CBS All Access now supports 5.1 Dolby Digital and 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus audio on supported streaming devices/stereo receivers. Regarding video, we stream up to 1080P.

Supported Devices
Apple TV Gen. 4 + 4K (tvOS)
Apple TV Gen. 3 (Legacy)
Roku
Chromecast
Fire TVII
Android TV
Xbox One

Please feel free to call us at (888) 274-5343, 7 days a week, from 9 a.m. to 12 a.m. (ET) with any questions. Our support team will be happy to assist you.

I wonder if leaning on Nvidia would do any good, even if it seems they've discontinued the Shield Pro.

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
Of the services I pay for, I like Amazon the least. I would never give them a piece of action, even if it meant having to put up with stereo audio. If it wasn't for the two day shipping, I wouldn't subscribe to their streaming service at all.

When I filled out the bug form about the stereo audio, I had to select which device I was using, and the Shield was not on the list. I had to select "unsupported device" to be able to submit the form.

Note, below that despite it not working correctly on the Shield, Android TV is listed as a supported device. I just got this response from CBS tech support:

We are sorry for any confusion. CBS All Access now supports 5.1 Dolby Digital and 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus audio on supported streaming devices/stereo receivers. Regarding video, we stream up to 1080P.

Supported Devices
Apple TV Gen. 4 + 4K (tvOS)
Apple TV Gen. 3 (Legacy)
Roku
Chromecast
Fire TVII
Android TV
Xbox One

Please feel free to call us at (888) 274-5343, 7 days a week, from 9 a.m. to 12 a.m. (ET) with any questions. Our support team will be happy to assist you.

I wonder if leaning on Nvidia would do any good, even if it seems they've discontinued the Shield Pro.
What is an "Android TV", that just a generic name for the OS?

Why would you think they have discontinued the Pro, because it is so hard to get, pretty sure that is just a supply issue because of Covid.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
What is an "Android TV", that just a generic name for the OS?

Apparently, yes.

Why would you think they have discontinued the Pro, because it is so hard to get, pretty sure that is just a supply issue because of Covid.
When I went to look at it to get some technical info on the Nvidia site early last week, it was nowhere to be found. The only thing they had listed anywhere on the site was the 'tube'. It was just gone. Between that and the retail channel being empty back then, I just assumed it had reached end of life.

I just checked, and it's back on the site.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
So who here is playing UHD Remuxes with the Shield Tube? If so are you having issues and what app do you use?

I just bought one and some trouble with Emby on some high bitrate remuxes. The Shield would lockup and go to a black screen and the remote would
be unresponsive.

Went over to the Emby forum and there is a growing thread where others have the same issue. I didn't get a chance to test with Emby but the thinking is
that because this device is only 32 bit it can't handle high bitrate videos.

I was able to reproduce this with Spider Man Homecoming. Setting the buffer from medium to small in Emby helped, but the Shield still locked up
when I tried to exit the app.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/85464-shield-tv-2019-playback-issues-with-4k-hdr/
I have probably 2 dozen UHD rips all done with MakeMKV and all play perfect on my 2017 Shield and my 3 Shield Pro 2019. All my devices are wired and the rips are stored on a NAS, never had any issues with a Kodi or Emby.

Reactions: aaronwt and galonzo

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
I have probably 2 dozen UHD rips all done with MakeMKV and all play perfect on my 2017 Shield and my 3 Shield Pro 2019. All my devices are wired and the rips are stored on a NAS, never had any issues with a Kodi or Emby.

That has been my experience with the pro and the 2017. But the tube was totally different.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Same with my '19 Shield tube.

I really wish they had given it an actual name. Tube is dumb. On their site they just call it the Shield TV, but everyone just calls it the tube. :p

Reactions: aaronwt
4261 - 4280 of 4899 Posts