AVS Forum banner

4281 - 4300 of 4829 Posts

·
Registered
26,487 Posts
I thought about that myself but CBS AA through Amazon doesn't give you Dolby Vision AFAIK.

Very annoying the sound is 2.0 especially when a few months ago it was 5.1
But Amazon does have much higher bit rates than the CBS-AA app, which often looks softer and artifacty in comparison. So, it's a trade-off.

Subscribing to the CBS-AA channel in Apple TV+ is probably the best bet. High bit rate, HDR, consistent 5.1. Unfortunately, Apple TV+ is not available on the NVIDIA Shield.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
But Amazon does have much higher bit rates than the CBS-AA app, which often looks softer and artifacty in comparison. So, it's a trade-off.

Subscribing to the CBS-AA channel in Apple TV+ is probably the best bet. High bit rate, HDR, consistent 5.1. Unfortunately, Apple TV+ is not available on the NVIDIA Shield.

The CBS AA app on the AppleTV4K delivers Dolby Vision and 5.1 audio with none of the problems you've described - it is neither soft looking, nor does it have any artifacts. It looks and sounds very good.

And in case anyone is interested, I just loaded the CBS AA app on my Android TV driven Sony 900E set, and it's the same stereo trash audio as on the Shield. Additionally, it doesn't seem to have HDR support at all (although it does on the Shield Pro).

I have to say, the Google Play store reviews for the CBS AA Android app are pretty much the worst I've ever seen for an app from a mainstream provider like CBS. It has a grand total of 1.5 stars, and the bar graph depicting one star is much longer than the other four bars combined.

How is CBS AA not utterly embarrassed by its pathetic app on Google Play?

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I thought about that myself but CBS AA through Amazon doesn't give you Dolby Vision AFAIK.

Very annoying the sound is 2.0 especially when a few months ago it was 5.1

They messed up the Android TV app at some point is what happened. I just loaded on my Sony 900E set, which runs on Android TV. Same trashy stereo audio. Also the worst reviews I've ever seen on Google Play for an app from a major player like CBS. Just embarrassing.

·
Registered
26,487 Posts
The CBS AA app on the AppleTV4K delivers Dolby Vision and 5.1 audio with none of the problems you've described - it is neither soft looking, nor does it have any artifacts. It looks and sounds very good.
I don't have an ATV4K, but I have heard that said about it as well. The improvement is no doubt Apple's doing. Unfortunately, the CBS-AA app on other streaming devices is pretty crappy.

I have to say, the Google Play store reviews for the CBS AA Android app are pretty much the worst I've ever seen for an app from a mainstream provider like CBS. It has a grand total of 1.5 stars, and the bar graph depicting one star is much longer than the other four bars combined.

How is CBS AA not utterly embarrassed by its pathetic app on Google Play?
CBS All Access will undergo a rebranding and relaunch this summer. I expect that development of their app was halted until that happens.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Turned on the AI upscaling feature last week but hadn't had a chance to test with it until last night. We watched a 1080p version of Charlies Angels on my Sony 4k projector with 115" widescreen and I was absolutely blown away by the picture! There's no way I would believe it wasn't a 4k source, it was just flawless!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Turned on the AI upscaling feature last week but hadn't had a chance to test with it until last night. We watched a 1080p version of Charlies Angels on my Sony 4k projector with 115" widescreen and I was absolutely blown away by the picture! There's no way I would believe it wasn't a 4k source, it was just flawless!

Agree, for me it’s the best new feature. YTTV has mostly 1080p/60fps live content but recorded/VOD programs come in at 1080p/24fps and the improvement makes it look like your watching 4K.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: m0j0

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
yeah @m0j0 , it really depends on the quality of the content being upscaled; I typically only watch streaming content that isn't available on UHD Blu, so mostly UHD-HDR TV series on Netflix and Prime, but when I went to check out some streaming content from the Discovery Go app, I forgot that the AI upscaling would kick in (1080p30 programming), and I was about to start looking into whether they started delivering 4K assets :eek: I'll need to find out what bitrate they're serving their content...

·
Registered
318 Posts
That's the problem, there is no Refresh Rate app for the Apple TV OS, it's only available for Android TV systems. As far as to use, it's all automatic, when Netflix loads up 24.0 Hz content the RR app senses it and reverts the Shield's output to the correct frame rate. I don't have to interact with the process at all, it just works.

My Refresh Rate app settings for Netflix are shown in the image below.

What??? ATV4K and tvOS has built in automatic frame rate matching that’s why there’s no need for an app! You just have to set it properly and leave it alone.

Is it 100%? No idea, but I’ve rarely seen an issue with it on Netflix, Hulu, Prime, or even Plex. However I’m now using the Shield almost exclusively for Plex and my content due to having audio passthrough which Apple still doesn’t allow. If not for that, I’d use the ATV4K for everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
UHD Addict
37,066 Posts
What??? ATV4K and tvOS has built in automatic frame rate matching that’s why there’s no need for an app! You just have to set it properly and leave it alone.

Is it 100%? No idea, but I’ve rarely seen an issue with it on Netflix, Hulu, Prime, or even Plex. However I’m now using the Shield almost exclusively for Plex and my content due to having audio passthrough which Apple still doesn’t allow. If not for that, I’d use the ATV4K for everything.

Netflix has a bunch of true 24hz content. Which the ATV 4k cannot output. The ATV 4K will only output 23.976 hz, not 24hz, which causes issues when playing back true 24hz content.

·
Premium Member
35,086 Posts

Netflix has a bunch of true 24hz content. Which the ATV 4k cannot output. The ATV 4K will only output 23.976 hz, not 24hz, which causes issues when playing back true 24hz content.
Exactly.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
The Apple TV 4K does a very good job of matching frame rate, with exception of 24hz content. I really enjoyed having one. It just works. It’s smooth and elegant in how it operates and displays content. I really, really wish I could just use those in my home. Unfortunately...it completely craps the bed with two things: 24Hz content and audio passthrough.

They might announce a new next week, but I am extremely confident that they will continue to thumb their nose at home theater enthusiasts.

My 2019 TCL 6-Series QLED R625 Calibrated Settings

·
Registered
2,108 Posts

I own an ATV4K, and one of the reasons I stopped posting in the ATV4K forum is because of the endless Apple worship that goes on there. No matter the issue, it's never Apple at fault for anything, criticism of Apple must be quickly refuted as you must be too uninformed to use the equipment correctly, and maybe you should consider buying another device, which is exactly what I did when I needed a second streamer.

Please don't drag that over to this forum. I can't imagine anyone here cares much for it. I certainly don't.

·
Premium Member
35,086 Posts
I own an ATV4K, and one of the reasons I stopped posting in the ATV4K forum is because of the endless Apple worship that goes on there. No matter the issue, it's never Apple at fault for anything, criticism of Apple must be quickly refuted as you must be too uninformed to use the equipment correctly, and maybe you should consider buying another device, which is exactly what I did when I needed a second streamer.

Please don't drag that over to this forum. I can't imagine anyone here cares much for it. I certainly don't.
"You're holding it wrong".:p

·
Registered
3,560 Posts

I don’t think he’s bringing anything “over here”, he just didn’t know about the 24hz thing.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I don’t think he’s bringing anything “over here”, he just didn’t know about the 24hz thing.

Pretty much. I’m sure I’ve watched some content that’s 24hz, but either I don’t notice it, not sensitive to it, or what have you.

That said, I do love the Shield Pro for all the reasons Apple pisses me off. And the Nvidia crew are truly on top of things. I’ve found a myriad of issues (along with other folks) with certain content from Plex and Nvidia has been listening. I’m running a beta of Shield Experience 9 for a few days now and it’s knocked out almost all the issues. :)

·
Registered
582 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Is there an option to eject my external hard drive from the USB on the Nvidia shield? Or should I just power down and unplug the hard drive? Or, as long as there is no movie playing there should be no chance of corruption right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4281 - 4300 of 4829 Posts