AVS Forum banner

4301 - 4320 of 4830 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
No you're not - I like it too.

I'm not one who spends his time in his theater watching test patterns - I watch movies.

In the camera forums there's a term for those who ignore what pictures look like and spend their time analyzing close-up blowups of the images looking for flaws: "pixel peepers."

There's also the old expression, "missing the forest for the trees."

Remember that the purpose of test patterns is specifically to highlight where what is being shown differs from the straight unmodified original. The question is not whether AI Upscaling looks different from the original but whether it looks better or worse, and to my eyes - using a 4K projector throwing an image eleven feet wide - AI Upscaling usually looks better on than off.

I find that with low bitrate 720p content it adds a lot of macroblocking and over sharpening to the point of being very noisy:(. Was expecting a miracle I suppose so a little let down at the upscaling capabilities. I found my LG65B7P to be superior. I usually hook up external drive to both my shield and OLED (in separate rooms) to watch movies. Perhaps I can rectify the issue with KODI settings? Or will enabling “match frame rate” on the shield help? I was reading something about this in prior conversations but amconfused lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
UHD Addict
37,066 Posts
Is there an option to eject my external hard drive from the USB on the Nvidia shield? Or should I just power down and unplug the hard drive? Or, as long as there is no movie playing there should be no chance of corruption right?

I've always just unplugged it. I've never had any issues doing that. I do the same thing with my TV and other streamers when a hard drive is attached. I just unplug the USB cable. And it's not caused me any issues over the last eleven years. Although the external drives I attach to those devices are reading content. They are typically not being used to write anything.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I've always just unplugged it. I've never had any issues doing that. I do the same thing with my TV and other streamers when a hard drive is attached. I just unplug the USB cable. And it's not caused me any issues over the last eleven years. Although the external drives I attach to those devices are reading content. They are typically not being used to write anything.

Okay thank you

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
A Few Plex Server Questions

I've enabled the Plex Server on my Shield Pro, attached a small 'temporary' drive preloaded with some videos, and that worked fine - my Plex clients were able to access the videos.

I'd like to swap that drive with a 3TB WD Red drive. The info on the Plex site (which seems quite out of date) has several dire warnings about not removing the drive while Plex Server is running.

So...do I 'eject' the current drive in the Shield Configuration and attach a new one, or do I stop the Plex Server (I assume in the Apps menu) and swap drives then re-enable it, or do I plug in the new drive into the second USB3 slot, configure it, and then remove the old one, or do I just power down the Shield, swap drives, and power back up? Or does it even matter since I don't care what happens to the drive I'm removing?

Does the new drive (NTFS) need to be somehow prepped or initialized by the Shield (it keeps asking me to do it on the current temp drive)? I did not prep the temp drive in any way since I installed it as "removable".

I went looking for a Plex forum here, but all I was able to find were a few random Plex posts with fewer than a dozen replies. If anyone has a decent place for me to look and ask questions, I'll take this over there.

EDIT: Never mind...I connected the 3TB as a second drive, used the menu to eject the 'temporary' drive, and so far nothing has thrown up. Now to figure out how to copy files from the NAS to the new drive...

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
You can find the details in the Plex Forums but you need to enable "Transfer Files over local network" under the Storage setting. That will allow you to setup credentials for the Plex Server drives attached to your Shield so you can copy files from your NAS to the Shield. Additionally, you may want to mount drives in the same area of settings so you can copy files to attached drives to your Shield. This would require having a file manager like x-plore or something else installed on the Shield.

This worked exactly as described. Once I enabled network file transfers and logged into the NAS, the folders and files became available, and I was able to use x-plore (nice utility!) to start moving files from the NAS to the Plex drive. Thanks!

My only complaint is how remarkably slow the process is. Over a gig network, I'm getting 25-30 Mb/s transfer rates. It should be done some time after Labor Day :D:eek:

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
This worked exactly as described. Once I enabled network file transfers and logged into the NAS, the folders and files became available, and I was able to use x-plore (nice utility!) to start moving files from the NAS to the Plex drive. Thanks!

My only complaint is how remarkably slow the process is. Over a gig network, I'm getting 25-30 Mb/s transfer rates. It should be done some time after Labor Day :D:eek:

The reason it’s slow is that the Shield only supports SMB 1. They are working on supporting SMB 3 but it’s months in the future. The fastest way is copying from the Shield with the file manager but sometimes it’s just easier to map the Shield and copy to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
Anyone else getting random, split-second audio dropouts when replaying DTS-HD MA films via the Shield? I've tried Plex and Kodi and both suffer the same issue. It's probably only about 5 or 6 times per film but it's very, very annoying.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Anyone else getting random, split-second audio dropouts when replaying DTS-HD MA films via the Shield? I've tried Plex and Kodi and both suffer the same issue. It's probably only about 5 or 6 times per film but it's very, very annoying.

Not lately but, what method are you using to play them?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Not lately but, what method are you using to play them?

Was using Plex, which worked fine and then didn't. Switched to using Kodi, which is marginally better, but the audio dropouts still occur. It's kind of ruining the film watching experience to be honest.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
I was watching The Dark Knight Rises just the other day after hanging my new TV and didn’t notice any dropouts at all. I watched it for about 30 minutes or so. Its a 4K rip. Is your PMS transcoding to the shield for some reason?

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
I'm not sure, how would I go about ensuring that it isn't?

Something, somewhere, has changed because this wasn't happening up until maybe two weeks ago.

Two ways. You can hit the select button while playing the file and it’s in one of the options as playback info or something like that or you can pull Plex up on your PC and hit the Activity button in upper right and then Dashboard and it will tell you what is happening.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'm not sure, how would I go about ensuring that it isn't?

Something, somewhere, has changed because this wasn't happening up until maybe two weeks ago.
While the video is playing in the Plex app, click the "up" cursor on the Shield remote to bring up the functions overlay. Then click the "right" cursor button on the Shield remote to scroll over to the "..." icon and click the okay button on the Shield remote. Then scroll down to "Playback Information" to see if your audio is being sent as "Direct Play" or is being transcoded.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I find that with low bitrate 720p content it adds a lot of macroblocking and over sharpening to the point of being very noisy:(. Was expecting a miracle I suppose so a little let down at the upscaling capabilities. I found my LG65B7P to be superior. I usually hook up external drive to both my shield and OLED (in separate rooms) to watch movies. Perhaps I can rectify the issue with KODI settings? Or will enabling “match frame rate” on the shield help? I was reading something about this in prior conversations but amconfused lol
I don't usually stream anything at less than 1080. I don't rip disks, so the only things I watch through the Shield are from streaming services like VUDU, Amazon, Neflix, etc., mostly at 1080 or 4K. If I had a sub-1080 copy in one of those libraries, I wouldn't watch it through my projector like that but would either upgrade it to 1080 or 4K - or watch it on a smaller screen.

My experience with AI Upscaling on 1080 streams has been excellent, making me wish I could feed the output of my Oppo UDP-203 through the Shield when playing Blu-rays (though the Oppo itself does a good job of upscaling) - like the way my Oppo can take the HDMI output of other devices and apply its processing to them.

Reactions: aaronwt and galonzo

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I don't usually stream anything at less than 1080. I don't rip disks, so the only things I watch through the Shield are from streaming services like VUDU, Amazon, Neflix, etc., mostly at 1080 or 4K. If I had a sub-1080 copy in one of those libraries, I wouldn't watch it through my projector like that but would either upgrade it to 1080 or 4K - or watch it on a smaller screen.

My experience with AI Upscaling on 1080 streams has been excellent, making me wish I could feed the output of my Oppo UDP-203 through the Shield when playing Blu-rays (though the Oppo itself does a good job of upscaling) - like the way my Oppo can take the HDMI output of other devices and apply its processing to them.

Are you using the Refresh Rate app?

I ask...because you said you only use various streaming app (Vudu, Amazon, etc.). IF you are not using the Refresh app with those apps, then your frame rates are going to be 59.94Hz or 60Hz.

AI Upscaling works with the resolution is less than 2160p and the frame rate is 30Hz.

So if you are not matching the frame rate on those 1080p streams...AI upscaling is not engaged. You maybe have it toggled on, but it will be disabled while those streams are active.

My 2019 TCL 6-Series QLED R625 Calibrated Settings

·
Registered
1,581 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Are you using the Refresh Rate app?

I ask...because you said you only use various streaming app (Vudu, Amazon, etc.). IF you are not using the Refresh app with those apps, then your frame rates are going to be 59.94Hz or 60Hz.

AI Upscaling works with the resolution is less than 2160p and the frame rate is 30Hz.

So if you are not matching the frame rate on those 1080p streams...AI upscaling is not engaged. You maybe have it toggled on, but it will be disabled while those streams are active.
When AI Upscaling is unavailable, it says so when I toggle it on with the upper right-hand button.

I get that message when playing 4K streams, but I've never seen it on a 1080 stream, and the effect of toggling the AI Upscaling is clear, so at least the films I've watched have all been at less than 30fps.

Maybe there's a configuration somewhere to turn on the higher frame rate - mainly of value to gamers, which I'm not - that I've, fortunately, missed!

But if I run into that problem, I'll look for that app.

4301 - 4320 of 4830 Posts