4381 - 4400 of 4914 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I will test it tonight.

I already have set:

4K 59.940 Hz (default)
HDR10 Ready

I will Re-Test the JVC's Frame-by-Frame HDR10.
If it works for Frame-by-Frame HDR10, put on an SDR source and - if the JVC doesn't switch to SDR automatically but to the immediately prior HDR setting, set it properly for SDR and it should auto-switch properly after that - it only remembers and auto-switches between the 2 most recent settings.

·
Registered
266 Posts
FWIW: My Xfinity linked HBOGo client stopped working on the Shield tonight. Note it wasn't actually supported, but it worked if you just logged in twice.

The good news is that Xfinity isn't blocking HBOMax from working on a TV/Android box, so just replace one with the other.

·
Registered
26,512 Posts
FWIW: My Xfinity linked HBOGo client stopped working on the Shield tonight. Note it wasn't actually supported, but it worked if you just logged in twice.

The good news is that Xfinity isn't blocking HBOMax from working on a TV/Android box, so just replace one with the other.
AT&T (parent company of Warner Bros.) is trying to push everyone off HBO Go and HBO Now and onto HBO Max instead. The old apps are being discontinued on any device that can support HBO Max.

Reactions: aaronwt and b_scott

·
Registered
266 Posts
AT&T (parent company of Warner Bros.) is trying to push everyone off HBO Go and HBO Now and onto HBO Max instead. The old apps are being discontinued on any device that can support HBO Max.

Cool. Now hopefully they can bump up the quality to 4K, and I can finally watch "The Long Night" without the horrid black banding compression artifacts.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Cool. Now hopefully they can bump up the quality to 4K, and I can finally watch "The Long Night" without the horrid black banding compression artifacts.

I've watched a few movies on HBO Max and have not seen compression artifacting at all, unlike HBO's feed on Spectrum Cable, with is about 9.5 Mb/s of unrelenting MPG garbage if anything in the scene actually moves. The red opening logo on Marvel movies is particularly obnoxious, but just fine when streamed.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just a random observation but I was using my 2019 Shield Tube at the time.

The Netflix season 2 of "The Order" (a mediocre series), has significantly embraced ATMOS audio. This was most notable as I find so many streaming, ATMOS labeled, movies/shows hard to distinguish from regular surround sound.
I had not finished season 1 of "The Order" which was also labeled as HDR/ATMOS so when the last season 1 episode moved right into the season 2 the whole ATMOS ambience was most notable. Without a doubt the producers have made a significant effort in utilizing this home theater audio technology.

I sure hope this will be a trend as I upgraded my AVR and added ATMOS speakers December 2019 and although test audio files were awesome, in general it is rare that a movie or show labeled as ATMOS to impress. I've been only occasionally surprised when ATMOS is actually utilized.
Just thought others may be interested.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Just a random observation but I was using my 2019 Shield Tube at the time.

The Netflix season 2 of "The Order" (a mediocre series), has significantly embraced ATMOS audio. This was most notable as I find so many streaming, ATMOS labeled, movies/shows hard to distinguish from regular surround sound.
I had not finished season 1 of "The Order" which was also labeled as HDR/ATMOS so when the last season 1 episode moved right into the season 2 the whole ATMOS ambience was most notable. Without a doubt the producers have made a significant effort in utilizing this home theater audio technology.

I sure hope this will be a trend as I upgraded my AVR and added ATMOS speakers December 2019 and although test audio files were awesome, in general it is rare that a movie or show labeled as ATMOS to impress. I've been only occasionally surprised when ATMOS is actually utilized.
Just thought others may be interested.
Thanks, always interested in hearing about particularly good Atmos experiences.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
The Netflix season 2 of "The Order" (a mediocre series), has significantly embraced ATMOS audio.
Will check it out soon. Most series via streaming with Atmos is lackluster at best. The same can be said of several A title movies (on disc), not sure why they even bothered with Atmos. Really hated to see Dolby release the "Auto" Atmos mix plugin for the Avid.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Will check it out soon. Most series via streaming with Atmos is lackluster at best. The same can be said of several A title movies (on disc), not sure why they even bothered with Atmos. Really hated to see Dolby release the "Auto" Atmos mix plugin for the Avid.

Sadly, it's pretty much a guarantee of mediocrity once that sort of thing happens. Once things like color correction and audio 'enhancements' are thrown on the editor's plate, it's almost always the outcome. Editors are not a one stop shop for everything post. There's a reason responsibilities in production and post are segmented to professionals who do whatever it is they do for a living.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
If it works for Frame-by-Frame HDR10, put on an SDR source and - if the JVC doesn't switch to SDR automatically but to the immediately prior HDR setting, set it properly for SDR and it should auto-switch properly after that - it only remembers and auto-switches between the 2 most recent settings.
Thanks Phil, seems to have helped.

To complicate things, I have Denon AVR-X4500H that has (2) HDMI Outputs and my JVC NX7 on HDMI 1 and a 7" 1080p HDMI mounted at my Seat to Monitor my System as well as Listen to Music and Watch News when I don't want to burn NX7 Bulb Hours.

The Denon has provisions for Switching - HDMI 1, HDMI 2 and HDMI Auto.

By having the 2160P HDMI Projector and the 1080P HDMI at my Seat, the Denon's HDMI Switching is not good at Re-Synching when I switch.

I ordered a 1 In 2 Out HDMI Splitter with EDID Detective Corretion that features support for Mixed Resolution Outputs.

I'll see how that works tonight.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
To complicate things, I have Denon AVR-X4500H that has (2) HDMI Outputs and my JVC NX7 on HDMI 1 and a 7" 1080p HDMI mounted at my Seat to Monitor my System as well as Listen to Music and Watch News when I don't want to burn NX7 Bulb Hours.

By having the 2160P HDMI Projector and the 1080P HDMI at my Seat, the Denon's HDMI Switching is not good at Re-Synching when I switch.

I ordered a 1 In 2 Out HDMI Splitter with EDID Detective Corretion that features support for Mixed Resolution Outputs.

Of the various higher end AVRs, Denon and it's sibling, Marantz, are particularly bad at the scenario you described. I've had an earlier Denon 4300 for years, as well as the Marantz 1608 in another room, and it would be difficult to find a higher end AVR brand that has generally worse HDMI video support than those two. For an expensive AVR, terrific audio, mediocre (at best) video support.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I've watched a few movies on HBO Max and have not seen compression artifacting at all, unlike HBO's feed on Spectrum Cable, with is about 9.5 Mb/s of unrelenting MPG garbage if anything in the scene actually moves. The red opening logo on Marvel movies is particularly obnoxious, but just fine when streamed.
I don’t use HBO or even HBO!ax much for movies, but the few things I have checked the video quality is awful compared to a Hulu, Amazon, Netflix and almost anything else I have had. How do you release a HBO Max high end service without 4K or with such sub-par PQ. I basically signed up because there was an offer for $11.99 a month for the first year and we watch some of their weekly shows.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Thanks Phil, seems to have helped.

The way I play music I have on HDD - without turning on my projector - is by using a few free or very inexpensive apps.

To catalog my collection I use Twonky, a $30 DLNA server that shows you the album graphic not only while playing but while browsing.

To make that collection available on locally and over the net I use the free BubbleUPnP Server, which runs on top of your DLNA server and lets turn many ordinary DLNA renderers into "OpenHome" renderers with playlists stored on the server - and can make many of them play gaplessly. It sends files unmodified unless a requesting device - like a phone using mobile data - asks it to transcode them to mp3.

As renderers I use an Oppo 203 (and a 103 at my wife's place) both of which can play multichannel FLACs as multichannel via analog or HDMI, a Yamaha AVR - which can play stereo music gaplessly, and elsewhere in my home the free fooUPnP plugin for Foobar2000 (which can, as a player, also do tag searches - it was written by the programmer of BubbleUPnP).

As the control device, the $5 Android BubbleUPnP (from the Google Play Store) lets you search through the "tags" on files (and lossless FLAC files take mp3 tags) and not only lets play your music remotely over the net (like in my car) but acts as a controller to push music to your renderers when on WiFi. It'll even let you do this at a friend's house, playing from your home library!

So I don't have to turn on my projector but just take my phone out of my pocket, browse (or search!) for something I want to play, choose my Oppo, my AVR or my PC as the renderer, and hit play. I can choose tracks and on many renderers I can even control volume.

Total software cost: $35, paid once.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I don’t use HBO or even HBO!ax much for movies, but the few things I have checked the video quality is awful compared to a Hulu, Amazon, Netflix and almost anything else I have had. How do you release a HBO Max high end service without 4K or with such sub-par PQ. I basically signed up because there was an offer for $11.99 a month for the first year and we watch some of their weekly shows.

I get HBO Max for free (for now) because I have AT&T's highest internet tier and it doesn't seem to be worth more than that. I am only watching for a couple of series (Curb, Succession) and then I suspect that I will not watch it for months. For recent movies, the quality is not high enough to interest me.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
HBO has tons and tons of stellar shows. It's highly unlikely that you've watched them all. Take a look at a list of shows and pick some. I rarely come across a bad HBO show. If nothing else, Real Time and Last Week Tonight are every week.

4381 - 4400 of 4914 Posts