AVS Forum banner

4421 - 4440 of 4827 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
It's the tube version. Yes, Plex was taking a lot of space, too; at least Plex allowed me to transfer it to the microSD card. Amazon Prime video could also be transferred.

Why in world are you not formatting it for internal storage? That exactly what you should be doing, especially with the non-Pro Shield (2019 tube). There is absolutely no need for you to be transferring apps back and forth.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Why in world are you not formatting it for internal storage? That exactly what you should be doing, especially with the non-Pro Shield (2019 tube). There is absolutely no need for you to be transferring apps back and forth.
I have formated it for use as internal storage but it's still called external storage (compared to removable storage, which is the alternative option).

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
The way I play music I have on HDD - without turning on my projector - is by using a few free or very inexpensive apps.

To catalog my collection I use Twonky, a $30 DLNA server that shows you the album graphic not only while playing but while browsing.

To make that collection available on my phone locally and over the net I use the free BubbleUPnP Server, which runs on top of your DLNA server and lets turn many ordinary DLNA renderers into "OpenHome" renderers with playlists stored on the server - and can make many of them play gaplessly. It sends files unmodified unless a requesting device - like a phone using mobile data - asks it to transcode them to mp3.

As the control device, the $5 Android BubbleUPnP (from the Google Play Store) lets you search through the "tags" on files (and lossless FLAC files take mp3 tags) and not only lets play your music remotely over the net but acts as a controller to push music to your renderers - like an Oppo 10x/20x, a Yamaha AVR, or the free fooUPnP plugin for Foobar2000 - which can, as a player, also do tag searches - it was written by the programmer of BubbleUPnP) when your phone is on your WiFi network. It'll even let you do this at a friend's house, playing from your home library!

So I don't have to turn on my projector but just take my phone out of my pocket, browse (or search!) for something I want to play, choose my Oppo or my AVR as the renderer, and hit play. I can choose tracks and on many renderers I can even control volume.

Total software cost: a one time purchase of $35!
Currently, I am using the HELOS Music capabilities built into my Denon AVR-X4500H which links to both Tidal and Amazon Music HD as well as my Synology NAS.

I find my Charside 7" 1080P Monitor just right as an interface for cueing up Video, Testing Sources and Troubleshooting as well as Music and TV News, etc, all without firing up the JVC NX7.

EDIT: I also use the AirPlay 2 Capabilities of the Denon AVR-X4500H to "Cast" both Tidal and Amazon Music HD as well as my Synology NAS from my iPad with No Video Monitoring at all.

·
Registered
67 Posts
How are folk getting on with the Refresh Rate 3rd party application? I'm on the latest public release on my Shield Pro 2019 and I fairly often end up with a black screen following this app switching refresh rates. 25p seems particularly dodgy, though not exclusively so.
BBC iPlayer won't work at all with Refresh Rate app running (direction keys to select anything not working).
Amazon Prime barfing 5s into every program/film with an HDMI error started annoying me.
I had other niggles, too much bother so gave up on it.

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
Wait for Android TV 11 release. Then, we don't need to use any of these refresh rate crap anymore. Currently, none of them work for me at all in Prime Video app or Disney+.

Android TV 11 is currently in preview release for a single Google dev device. So the official release will be some months to go. Then, God knows when if ever nVidia will make it into Shields.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
We're on Android 8. It might "be a while".

Reactions: aaronwt

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
We're on Android 8. It might "be a while".
There are two distinct versions to look at

Shield TV Version 8.
Android TV version 9.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: aaronwt and naustin

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
Shield Experience 8 comes with Android TV 9 update. Don't confuse nVidia release version number with Android TV OS version numbers.
AFAIK, there is no Android TV 10 released (yet). Google may choose to skip 10. Who knows. We will know more when Chromecast Ultra 2 releases later this year.

·
aka jfinnie
4,216 Posts
BBC iPlayer won't work at all with Refresh Rate app running (direction keys to select anything not working).
Amazon Prime barfing 5s into every program/film with an HDMI error started annoying me.
I had other niggles, too much bother so gave up on it.
OK, glad it's not just me.
For what it is worth, I find the Iplayer app works OK if you don't do anything for about 10s after opening the app... Go figure. Otherwise it locks and Android kills it.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Wait for Android TV 11 release. Then, we don't need to use any of these refresh rate crap anymore. Currently, none of them work for me at all in Prime Video app or Disney+.

Android TV 11 is currently in preview release for a single Google dev device. So the official release will be some months to go. Then, God knows when if ever nVidia will make it into Shields.

Umm no. Not exactly. That is in no way guaranteed to be a part of the Shield TV when Android TV 11 does eventually make its way to the Shield, which is a long way off anyway.

·
Premium Member
35,081 Posts
OK, glad it's not just me.
For what it is worth, I find the Iplayer app works OK if you don't do anything for about 10s after opening the app... Go figure. Otherwise it locks and Android kills it.
I can't speak to the iPlayer app but with Prime, at least here in the States, if you use the manual output selection menu with the Refresh Rate app it will play the title just fine. The Amazon Prime app doesn't take kindly to an automatic refresh rate change for some reason, it has to be done manually otherwise it hiccups with that HDMI error.

If you know the frame rate of the title you want to watch you can set the Shield's output to that frame rate prior to playback and it should play the title without issue. You can also set a hotkey within the Refresh Rate app setup to have the output selection menu popup right before you're ready to watch the title, select the output you want, and then you should be good to go. While taking some pics of this procedure I just discovered that Enders Game via the IMDb free catalog is also a 24.0 fps title as is the Cloudy with Meatballs films available through the IMDb catalog.

Yeah, the Prime app solution is kludgy to be sure, but what other options are there?

Attachments

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
I will jump to whichever device that comes with Android TV 11 first. The way I see it, Shield, running a 5-year old chipset, is way out of date anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
This is exactly what I did and it still sees it as a separate drive and I had to manually transfer apps to it.
From the video, that seems just like you said, separate storage instead of combined storage. In other words, not very useful because lazy applications will still store to internal storage by default.

·
Premium Member
35,081 Posts

Why won't we need it anymore? Has Google already indicated that auto-refresh rate will be native in Android 11?

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
As I posted a few pages back (post#4334), Google introduced native refresh rate support in Android 11 API. Apps now will be able to request the desired refresh rate for video display, just like Apple tvOS did. Refresh rate app and the beta feature built into the Shield are just hacks that try to make something work where the OS does not natively support. And the hack does not really work well when HDCP is required.

·
Premium Member
35,081 Posts
As I posted a few pages back, Google introduced native refresh rate support in Android 11 API. Apps now will be able to request the desired refresh rate for video display, just like Apple tvOS did. Refresh rate app and the beta feature built into the Shield are just hacks that try to make something work where the OS does not natively support. And the hack does not really work well when HDCP is required.
Thanks for the info.

As far as what we have now the term "hack" is a bit subjective depending on which app you're using it on. For me, it works perfectly on Netflix, on Prime it's kludgy but it still works. I don't need it for any other app so it may very well be a "hack" with those apps but I'm happy with it for what I need it for.:)

I think the Refresh Rate app also gets a bit of a bad rep due to the fact that it does require some learning and some detailed setup, but as I've noted, once that's done, it works pretty well for me.

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
It is a hack because the app which knows exactly what refresh rate it needs to be is not involved with the decision of switching refresh rates. That leads to poor user experience especially when you move into and out different UI and different framerate movies. Google should have that in first Android TV release. But glad to see it finally caught up.

4421 - 4440 of 4827 Posts