AVS Forum banner

1561 - 1580 of 4914 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
1. 2017 Shield has never been able to play Atmos on Netflix (4K or otherwise). Nor will it ever be able to unless Netflix allows it according to Nvidia. This is a licensing issue that Nvidia themselves have addressed on their forums as recently as 25 days ago.
Unless you use the Kodi Netflix plugin of course.

[email protected]
25d
@dabl2, Netflix requires a license the 2017 SHIELDs do not have in order to send Atmos for us to passthrough. We don't control Netflixs decisions so we can't really say Netflix will never enable this on the older SHIELDs, however, we can say the older SHIELDs do not have the license Netflix currently requires.
Right. I already posted that in the other thread since it only applies to 2017 models.

·
Premium Member
10,249 Posts
And the UHD version is typically the one with an Atmos track on the streaming services..
This isn't true for the ATV4K so presumably the availability of content formats is up to the streaming company and those companies appear to decide on a per device basis.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It surely is a mess! 😮 I wish I had realized this before I had started down the Atmos path. 😋

On the plus side, I am encouraged by the post above from @dalek69 in which he indicates the Netflix app on the 2019 Shield CAN play Atmos to a 1080p device.

I should have some time tonight to do my own testing.
I do hope for you that Your particular playback 1080p device (screen/projector/tv , whatever) does the Atmos that in my setup does work on netflix .
I would like ton mention that my AVR Pioneer atmos receiver DOES have HDCP2.2 compliance. obviously my tv screen 1080p does not have HDCP2.2 but a slightly lower one. and it still gives atmos from the ShieldTv 2019 Netflix built in app on selected titels like (film ) bright or series like the new "V-WARS" and "Lost in Space" and "Our Planet' and "Altered Carbon" .
F Y I , I live in the Netherlands (=Holland) (in Europe) and have Dutch version of Netflix.

I deduced , reading on this forum, that indeed Netflix gives out Atmos sound in a Atmos compatible setup, even if the display is not a 4k one. So separate audio and video streams combined to fit your setup. This is a good thing. All we need now is Disney+ Following suit.

I think it is completely ridiculous that a 1080p Atmos capable setup doesnt get Atmos in some other streaming services like Amazon Prime.
It's like with BD discs ; 1 to 2 year ago , you got some 1080p Bluray Discs, that i bought, that got Atmos tracks, but now, almost only 4k UHD-BD-Discs get Atmos tracks. Its pure discrimination and bad marketing i.m.o. . I am not willing to dosh out another say 200 dollars (for me Euros) for a UHD-BDplayer buying 4k expensive uhd-bd discs just to get atmos sound , when i do not have an am not yet buying, a 4k tv. :frown: My current tv dates from spring 2016 and suits me fine.
But well, i suppose, most Atmos AVR buyers today will also have or will also buy a 4k HDR tv.

Some Good Things :)and some bad things :mad: here!

Reactions: elee532 and galonzo

·
Registered
133 Posts
Of course it will. I have many 2K BD rips with Atmos tracks that will play Atmos from my 2017 SHield TV. Atmos has been around well before UHD BDs came out.
I'm referring to streaming services such as Amazon Prime, Netflix, Vudu, Movies Anywhere etc.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
866 Posts
Well, I had just a couple minutes to setup the 2019 Shield and do some testing tonight. Like @dalek69, my receiver displayed Atmos while playing an Atmos movie (Klaus) with only a 1080p display. The odd thing though, is that some shows not labeled as Atmos in Netflix showed on my receiver as being Atmos. The Irishman is one such example. Thoughts on this?

I'll do some more testing tomorrow.

BTW, my setup...

• Denon AVR x3600H
  • Epson Home Cinema 3700 projector
  • Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 version
  • 6.2.4 speaker setup

·
Registered
18,526 Posts
Unless you use the Kodi Netflix plugin of course.

Right. I already posted that in the other thread since it only applies to 2017 models.
If you have a 2015/2017 Shield you might as well just use the Kodi add on for Netflix as Dolby Vision isn’t as huge a difference over standard HDR as Atmos is with standard DD5.1+.

That said I assume the Kodi Netflix addon with the 2019 Shields doesn’t support Dolby Vision even with the DV option turned on? It doesn’t work on the 4k Fire TV stick, just standard HDR10.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you have a 2015/2017 Shield you might as well just use the Kodi add on for Netflix as Dolby Vision isn’t as huge a difference over standard HDR as Atmos is with standard DD5.1+.

That said I assume the Kodi Netflix addon with the 2019 Shields doesn’t support Dolby Vision even with the DV option turned on? It doesn’t work on the 4k Fire TV stick, just standard HDR10.
Sadly, the KODi Plugin has its issues, first, it stopped working after the Android Pie update for weeks. It's working again, but even though I have the UHD plan and a 4K TV it only let's me select 1080p streams. Netflix App shows 4K HDR no problem. Have yet to figure out why, HDMI info shows HDCP 2.2 compliant display device connected.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Has anyone with a Harmony Elite found an updated 2019 Shield device yet?
I have asked again on the Logitech forum about this.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Nope, not yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,526 Posts
Sadly, the KODi Plugin has its issues, first, it stopped working after the Android Pie update for weeks. It's working again, but even though I have the UHD plan and a 4K TV it only let's me select 1080p streams. Netflix App shows 4K HDR no problem. Have yet to figure out why, HDMI info shows HDCP 2.2 compliant display device connected.
It works, you have to totally uninstall the addon and then delete some files off the Shields Kodi addon directory. I’ve had 4k working for over a week now on both my 2017/2015 Shields. Look at the Kodi addon thread for it, it tells you how to do it. It’s either there or on the github forum thread for it, I forget which.

·
Registered
202 Posts

Why would you need an update? My Elite works fine with the 2019 Shield

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Why would you need an update? My Elite works fine with the 2019 Shield

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

There are new commands on the 2019 Shield we would like to take advantage of to program different buttons such as frame rate, AI, Netflix, and more.

Reactions: rjmcinnis

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
There are new commands on the 2019 Shield we would like to take advantage of to program different buttons such as frame rate, AI, Netflix, and more.

makes sense. You could learn then for now maybe. if you had a flirc or keyboard to test what those commands are.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
UHD Addict
37,085 Posts
Can you clarify what you mean here @aaronwt? Until who corrects what error? Someone confirmed above that the Netflix app on the 2019 Shield IS able to stream Atmos even when the display device is 1080p.
Either the shield or netflix. Because thy typically only offer Metflix on UHD titles which require HDCP 2.2. And if you dont have an HDCP 2.2 connection devices will typicallyonly show you HD or lower options with Netflix.

Sent from my Galaxy S10

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
makes sense. You could learn then for now maybe. if you had a flirc or keyboard to test what those commands are.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
That's the issue. You can't learn them because they are Bluetooth and FLIRC only recognizes IR and then converts to BT. I'm sure they'll be added to the Harmony database at some point.

·
Registered
7,606 Posts

But those commands aren't mapped to new buttons on the Shield remote. You just map one to the menu button, or use the menu button to get to them. I guess your hoping they will show up in the Harmony app as commands. I'm doubtful of that, would be nice I suppose.

I thought someone had posted that they had a new device for the Shield, maybe they were mistaken I am not sure.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
But those commands aren't mapped to new buttons on the Shield remote. You just map one to the menu button, or use the menu button to get to them. I guess your hoping they will show up in the Harmony app as commands. I'm doubtful of that, would be nice I suppose.

I thought someone had posted that they had a new device for the Shield, maybe they were mistaken I am not sure.
Yes, exactly. Once they figure out the codes they will add them and we will be able to map them. They don't need to be mapped to a current Shield button we are just looking for the command itself. Hopefully they will make them available because the current method is pretty clumsy.
Yes, someone posted that you could enter in Shield Pro for model and Nvidia for manufacturer and get a new profile but I tested it and it was the same old profile with a different name. I tried all the buttons and commands and there wasn't anything new.

1561 - 1580 of 4914 Posts