AVS Forum banner

1901 - 1920 of 4899 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Meh. Not selling me. DV is a non factor for my PJ. Fast... don’t care. Remote I use harmony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got it just for streaming local content with high definition audio.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
If what @m_snow states regarding the 2019 Shield does not apply to your "needs", then stick with the what you have.

I'm still using my 2015 Shield and really don't see a need to upgrade until I update my display, which won't happen for another 2 to 3 years. I recently did an inventory of all my components in my living room, and my oldest component is my Technics SL1200 Turntable that I purchased back in 1997. Second oldest, my 2015 Shield. The 2015 Shield was the start of my transition to 4K.

What's also keeping me from purchasing another Shield, my Sony XBR55x900E 4K display. Over the Holiday weekend, I spent some time with my brother and his family. He recently purchased an Insignia 55" 4K display. Nice 4K image until you play a 1080p Blu Ray movie. I didn't say anything, but it looked pretty bad. Next day, I set up a Sound bar for my Brother's Father-In Law. He has a 65 Inch LG Oled. Incredible image all around.a night and day difference.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
So a darbee costs $200 and this is more or less the same thing right?

no, this can stream from all the major players in 4k hdr/DV, can game and most importantly for some of here, it does lossless passthrough from our local library along with those other things making it the one streamer that does all.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
no, this can stream from all the major players in 4k hdr/DV, can game and most importantly for some of here, it does lossless passthrough from our local library along with those other things making it the one streamer that does all.

I already have the 2017 shield and dv is a non factor

So I’m trying to justify the $200 from where I’m at now.

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
I already have the 2017 shield and dv is a non factor

So I’m trying to justify the $200 from where I’m at now.

The AI upscaling is nice, but not worth $200. Now, if you sold your 2017 Shield, put it in another room, or gave it to a family member/friend, it may be worth it.

The new remote is 10x better than the last remote. While I too use a Harmony, I find the new remote comes in handy when I have to charge the Harmony. Speaking of the new remote, how come no one else thought of doing the triangular design before now, it actually feels nice in your hand?

Reactions: kluken

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
The AI upscaling is nice, but not worth $200. Now, if you sold your 2017 Shield, put it in another room, or gave it to a family member/friend, it may be worth it.

The new remote is 10x better than the last remote. While I too use a Harmony, I find the new remote comes in handy when I have to charge the Harmony. Speaking of the new remote, how come no one else thought of doing the triangular design before now, it actually feels nice in your hand?

But people gladly shelled out $200 for darbee? That’s the point I’m trying to make.

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
But people gladly shelled out $200 for darbee? That’s the point I’m trying to make.

I wouldn't pay $200 for the Darbee either.

But if I were to compare the two, at least the Shield upscales to 4k, and it works with Onkyo AVRs.

On the flip side, the Darbee does up to 60Hz (Shield currently is limited to 30Hz content and below for AI).

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I wouldn't pay $200 for the Darbee either.

But if I were to compare the two, at least the Shield upscales to 4k, and it works with Onkyo AVRs.

On the flip side, the Darbee does up to 60Hz (Shield currently is limited to 30Hz content and below for AI).

But isn’t most content 30Hz and below?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Speaking of the new remote, how come no one else thought of doing the triangular design before now, it actually feels nice in your hand?

It's funny that you say that. I was just talking to a friend about the cars I've owned over the years and my favorite features in them. The first thing that came to my mind was the triangular shifter knob in my RX8. It had a waaaayyyyy better feel than any other shifter I've ever used and I've never forgotten it.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes most of the content is 30fps or less.

Lots of people confuse this because broadcast standards in the US are 720p60 and 1080i30 (60 fields per seconds - 60fps once deinterlaced). But most of the content being broadcasted is 24fps (movies and scripted TV) and 30fps (news and many unscripted TV shows).

The Shield cannot apply it's AI upscaling to this broadcasted content because of the 60fps delivery method.

Most streaming content is sent over the internet at native frame rate so AI Upscaling works on most of that. Except things like YouTube TV where they also use a 60fps delivery method for live TV. But most of the content library on demand is native frame rate.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Streaming services don't typically send interlaced video i.e. 1080i30. Most of them are sending progressive streams in h264 or h265 now. Well YouTube is doing their own codec but you get the idea. So you'll get 1080p60 which won't ai upscale or 1080p24 which will. Most movies are 24 so that will work. Sports are usually sent at 60. Content right now is a mess when it comes to consistency. Especially with streaming services.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts

I had turned on AI medium and generally forgotten about it but a few days ago implemented the in-built "Beta" frame rate matching for Netflix and YouTube along with the Auto frame rate matching app for Prime with Plex using it's own method. While watching a Netflix 1080p @25Hz show (Ultraviolet), I noticed that the picture looks so good and had to double check that it wasn't 4K.

It was only then that I realized that the visual improvements I was seeing was the Shield's AI processing. Just an observation and comment that you'd likely need to implement one or two methods of frame matching to realize the full benefits of AI processing.

Just in case you wonder why I use two methods of frame rate matching, it's because with Prime both methods cause a HDCP error pop-up. The Beta method switches back to the original @60hz while the auto add on frame rate app can be configured so that the Prime app leaves the frame rate alone after the video stops for the error pop-up. That means the frame rate is matched after the pop-up error is displayed and you just restart the video getting it to play at a matched frame rate. There may be slicker ways to pull all of this off but I basically get frame rate matching working for all my streaming sources easily without hassles like Netflix's auto trailer frame rate matching which is a significant visual hassle. Basically, tolerably, working arounds for two limitations of the Shield's frame rate matching implementations.

One last thing is that some shows look jittery when matched. An example is Supernatural on Prime is matched at ~24fps but is noticeably jittering while @60 is fine, so there are exceptions to the rule.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Yes most of the content is 30fps or less.

Lots of people confuse this because broadcast standards in the US are 720p60 and 1080i30 (60 fields per seconds - 60fps once deinterlaced). But most of the content being broadcasted is 24fps (movies and scripted TV) and 30fps (news and many unscripted TV shows).

The Shield cannot apply it's AI upscaling to this broadcasted content because of the 60fps delivery method.

Most streaming content is sent over the internet at native frame rate so AI Upscaling works on most of that. Except things like YouTube TV where they also use a 60fps delivery method for live TV. But most of the content library on demand is native frame rate.
Right...Netflix, Prime, Vudu, iTunes, MA, and my own local content are all within the range of AI. Yes, YTTV and those that are repackaging cable content aren't because it's mostly 60fps (except for some VOD as you point out) but I really don't care so much about watching network news or a football game with a slightly better picture, I much prefer 60fps for sports anyway. Movies I do care about. The comment from @SamuriHL "not even remotely" doesn't make sense unless you mostly watch cable repacking services and YT.

Reactions: 3DSammy and dwaleke
1901 - 1920 of 4899 Posts