AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One For All is going to be launching a new version of the popular Kameleon in the US in June. See the attached spec sheet for more info.

Click here for a super-sized version of the picture below.

ofa-kameleon.pdf 301.498046875k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Impala1ss
That's just great. I just bought one (soon to be old model) and love it. I would have waited a month.
That wouldn't be the Radio Shack model by any chance, would it? And doesn't Radio Shack offer a "no questions asked" 30-day money back guarantee?

However, before you go off running to the store, the new Kameleon is supposedly going to retail for about $100, whereas your RS model was only $60, so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Rob,

From what you know about the new Kameleon, does it seem more Replaytv friendly than the 15-2116? I just bought the 15-2116, and have ordered the jp1 cable. The picture you posted makes this new remote look pretty appealing. What are your opinions on the pros & cons of the two? (I know you haven't tried the new Kameleon yet) BTW, the price tag isn't that big a deal, I'm just looking for the best option (within reason of course!)

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My personal option is that the Kameleon is not designed for "power users", it's more designed to win over regular users with it's sexy "gee wiz" appeal. I mean, let's face it, if you have visitors stop over, which remote is going to impress them more, the 15-2116 or one of the Kameleons.

However, most "power users" find a use for every single "spare" button, especially "ReplayTV power users", so I imagine that you would get annoyed by the fact that the Kameleon hides all the buttons that it thinks you don't need.

Assuming that you have a JP1 cable to program your 15-2116, I would recommend that you stick with that. For me, the main drawback of the 15-2116 is the lack of the four learning buttons that can be found on several other UEI remotes. Other JP1 users regret that there isn't an extender for this remote yet, but that should only be a hinderance for really advanced users. Personally, I still use my trusty old 15-1994 to control my Replay units, and 12 other devices, and I'm not even using an extender.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The previous model of the Radio Shack Kameleon, 15-2133, is said to be upgradeable via modem (according to their web site). I wonder if it, 15-2133, can be upgraded to the new version once it is out?

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
The upgradeability refers to the addition of codes for new devices that aren't in the existing database. The button layout of the remote itself is not changed, nor can it be. The OFA Kameleon is not the same as the RS version.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks Mike,

Do you know anything about this upcoming version? Worth waiting for, or should I look into something totally different (MX-500)?

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
All the current information on the Kameleon is in the .pdf file in Rob's post. Hopefully, I'll soon know more about it.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by sfin54
Do you know anything about this upcoming version? Worth waiting for, or should I look into something totally different (MX-500)?
Unless the street price for the OFA Kameleon is alot lower than the $99 I've been hearing, if the choice is between the MX500 and the URC-9960 (Kameleon) I would probably say you should go with the MX500 as it's only a little bit more expensive (and you won't find a bigger OFA/RS fan than me).

IMHO the "gee wiz" appeal of the Kameleon is more aimed at regular, non-power users. One good thing that the Kameleon does is change the label on some buttons based on the device mode the remote is in, but you can do that easily enough with the MX500. Another part of the "supposed" appeal of the Kameleon remotes is that they hide buttons that they think you don't need. Most power users, however, make use of all these "spare" buttons to program functions that the universal wasn't designed to cover.

I picked up the RS Kameleon (15-2133) for just long enough to get the JP1 tools updated for it, then I returned it. I wasn't really tempted to keep it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
robman,

Thanks for the info! Concerning the MX-500, when going to program the discret codes should I:

1.) Buy a "cheap" RS remote and have the MX-500 learn them.

2.) Buy the IRclone unit (added cost)

3.) Buy a "cheap" RS remote & JP1 cable

I don't believe my system is to complex, and want to get by with the least amount of hassle in the programming.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
I'd recommend Option #1. Get the RS remote and see if you can obtain all your discretes without using anything else. You can always get a JP1 cable or IRClone later.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would agree with Mike and say go for option #1. Remember though that you don't need to just look at RS remotes, you can also look at OFA (One For All) remotes. However, avoid the really cheap OFAs that you might find at Walmart, etc as most of these don't support key mover, which is the function that you would need to generate discrete codes.

Also, because you may need to go the JP1 route in the future, you should only chose one that is either JP1 compatible or can easily be made JP1 compatible. Furthermore, it's useful to get a learning JP1 remote because sometimes you need to use the learning feature to see what codes the device uses before you can even think about creating discretes.

The cheapest OFA that I would consider is the URC-6011 (aka URC-6012w at Walmart). This remote is not JP1 compatible out of the box, but if you solder in an EEPROM chip it is compatible.

As for RS remotes, if you can still find it, the 15-2104 is perfect for what you need. This remote was originally $40 but as it's been discontinued, they are giving them away for under $10.

Assuming the 15-2104s have all gone, your best bets for JP1-ready, learning remotes are the 15-2116 ($30 at RS) and the OFA URC-8811 (about $25).

·
Registered
102 Posts
OK, so I ordered the MX-500 and just so I have this right, I buy a RS or OFA remote, program it (RS,OFA) the discrete i want, and then have the MX-500 learn the discrete from the RS or OFA?

Is this correct?

Thanks for all your help. I think I'm getting there!

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Basically yes, but keep in mind that not all devices support discrete codes. Furthermore, there might not be a setup code for the device in question in the RS/OFA remote, or it might be a setup code that doesn't support advanced codes (you use advanced codes to program discrete codes). If either of these last two situations occur, you will need JP1 to re-program teh RS/OFA remote.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Rob from your comments I take it the MX-500 cannot be used with the JP1 cable...?

What about using the new OFA PVR remote for transfer if that is what you needed?

Steve

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Quote:
Rob from your comments I take it the MX-500 cannot be used with the JP1 cable...?
can't, not even the same manufacturers. But someone did create irclone, that turns a 500 into a PC programmable remote

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HiHoStevo

What about using the new OFA PVR remote for transfer if that is what you needed?

Steve
Any ofa/rs uei remote will do, I guess one that's on clearance would be best.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
The JP1 cable only works with remotes made by UEIC (such as RS and OFA remotes), the MX500 is made by someone else.
Quote:
What do you need to transfer? There's a very large number of MX500 users in my JP1 group, but they all have a UEIC remote to gowith their MX500 and they do indeed use the UEIC remote to teach signals to the MX500.

But like Edmund said, you also have the option of using IRClone now.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.