AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tired of my Cambridge 2.1 system that I've had for.....15+ years!

I've already impulsively bought a new Amplifier (Emotiva Mini-X A-100, 50Wx2). I also have a DAC (Lexicon Alpha) that I'll use until I feel like spending $350 on the Emotiva XDA-2.

So now I'm down to selecting new speakers, for close range listening. My head is about 42" away from where the speakers will be. I'd like them to be 8" tall, or less. I'm partial to Paradigm; however, I don't think they make anything for this application, so am open to try something new. Budget is less than $500 for the pair, preferably, like $200-250. Used is fine with me.

Thanks for everyone's input. I look forward to some better listening in my office soon!

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
They've been recommended before, as have the many others. You might want to read through a few threads both in the 2 Channel Audio and Speakers forums to search for conversations on desktop or nearfield speakers. There have been many informative discussions and lots of manufacturers discussed. There is a Paradigm Millenia thread that may help.

The only advice I can give is to try and listen first, even if it costs you some in return shipping. I've gone the desktop upgrade route twice in the last 16 months and listened to a whole lot of speakers I didn't like to find a few gems that I did.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I started off a year or so ago on this quest and ultimately decided on passive speakers and a receiver, mostly because I also wanted a 2 channel solution for my living room and could use a receiver's multiple zones. After multiple auditions I finally decided on a pair of Mordaunt-Short Carnival 2, a small 2-way bookshelf that was just warm and laid back enough for me not to want to rip my ears off. I love them. I've since graduated to a pair of EMP Tek E41B for slight improvement to midrange clarity (in my office I mostly play acoustic rock/folk or classical), the Carnivals are taking a break. The E41B are a bit brighter than the Mordaunt-Short but with speaker placement I've trimmed this down to acceptable levels.

When I started out a lot of speakers were recommended, but when I went out to audition I wondered whether people really thought about their favorites as something that could live comfortably 1 meter away from their ears - I found most to be either harsh or bright. This is why I recommend a listen. You'll get some great advice but only you can tell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts