AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone test this bad boy out!! the back looks alot like the panny xr50 but with some more video connections, but the front looks a lot better. I think it's specs are 65 watts per channel, 6.1 setup, and has a better dac than the panny, and has dlpIIx. I'm very interested in this one, and how it compares to the xr50, as the xr 50 is rated at 100 watts per channel. If anyone has tried it out please post any reviews!!

thanks!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has anyone got to test it out yet?? i've been waiting for the store to put it on display but they keep selling out as soon as they come in!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've had both the xr50 and the LR552 in my system, and I think the Onkyo is much better built, offers a better crossover (40,60,80,100,120), and has a much better remote. The sound is also a lot smoother and less fatiguing with better bass slam. I'm still in the process of burning in the xr50, but after 3 days it still makes my ears bleed. The Onkyo is less transparent than the Panny, but so far the Panny is unbearable for me. I'm going to give the Panny a few more days and if it doesn't smooth out I'll keep the Onkyo or Kenwood 7100 which I also have. The Kenwood seems to sound in between the two as far as transparency and smoothness. The Onkyo though, is a conisderably nicer looking unit than either. As far as power, the Onkyo has just as much and is also plagued by the inability to power lower efficiency speakers that dip in impedance. Overall, as of this moment, I would choose either the Kenwood or the Onkyo over the Panny because they do seem more musical. Time will tell for the Panny.

·
Registered
46 Posts
In comparing the THD for both of these units, the Panasonic XR-50/70 is .09% and the Onkyo is 5%! 55 times greater THD for the Onkyo? Can this be right? Panny shows THD in another area as .9%, but even so, it's >5 x the Onkyo. Regardless, 5% seems pretty high. What gives?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well, all these power specs from manufacturers really don't say much, especially with these digital amps. Digital amps are known to spec higher than A/B amps...even the high end stuff from Bel Canto and PS Audio. Now from looking at what limited specs we do have, it appears that the Onkyo is rated at 20-20khz @ 5% all channels driven. The .09% figure Panasonic has given is for stereo 20-20khz, the .9% is for 6 channels driven at 1khz.

So if you take that into consideration, the Panasonic is probably the same as Onkyo given the fact that Onkyo's rating is at full bandwidth 20-20khz all channels driven. But, then again, who knows with these goofy numbers that manufaturers give out...let your ears be the judge!

·
Registered
46 Posts
genelym: Thanks for your reply -- interesting info. I guess the key is the more channels driven, the higher the distortion. Also, I remember seeing a post somewhere that explained why digital amps typically rate higher in distortion than analog ones. I'll post the link if I can find it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It's not really the more channels driven the more distortion...it's more dependent on how much power they want to state @ THD. If for example, Onkyo wanted a lower distortion figure, they could rate their amp at 65 watts @ 1khz instead of 20-20khz. When driving an amp at full bandwidth it requires more power, so instead of telling us the amp only produces say 35 watts @.9% distortion all channels driven 20-20khz, they would rather give us a higher wattage and distortion number to make the amp look more powerful. Likewise, Panasonic does the same thing by rating their amp at only 1khz instead of full bandwidth 20-20khz. If they would rate it at full bandwidth and claim 100 watts per channel, their distortion rating would skyrocket. Anyways, there are very few receivers on the market that have REAL power ratings except for the high end stuff >$2000. One of the few exceptions seems to be Harman Kardon, if you look at their receivers they have much lower power ratings than their competitors at the same pricepoint. Why? Because they are real watts. Their 75 watt receiver weighs almost 50lbs. Anyways, there doesn't seem to be any set guidelines in the industry to go by, so companies can claim more power by increasing distortion or decreasing rated bandwidth. So when looking at receiver specs, take them with a grain of salt.

Gene

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yah, I was aware of the power rating games but did not know how that related to THD. Thanks for the quick lesson, Gene.

Regards,

Denis

·
Registered
90 Posts
You would think CC would carry it, but it seems like they are carrying less and less decent audio gear...I found mine at Fry's. If you don't have a Fry's near you, you can order through Outpost.com which is their online company. They have a very liberal return policy.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey thanks to all of you that have posted, very informative information, so my next question is the onkyo tx-lr552 a better choice over the onkyo tx-sr502??? I'm a newb to all the power ratings and thd stuff. All i know is inputs and outputs, features, and wattage ratings which really doesn't matter. And thanks again to Denis K and geneylim!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Do you think the Onkyo LR552 could handle my set of Dynaudio speakers? (known for the impedence dipping kind of low) I'm trying to decide between the JVC F10 which I hear doesn't have a problem, and this guy. The Panasonic XR50 is out, since I've read some load problems with that one.

I'd really like the Onkyo since it seems to be better built and looks a bit nicer. But, no one here locally carries either of the models for me to try out unfortunately.

Thanks!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Unfortunately, none of these digital amps can drive speakers that dip in impedance below 4 ohms....they will drive them, but not to reference levels. They will shut down.

Depending on how large your room is and how loud you listen will determine if they will work for you.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks geneylim...I figured that was the case, but I had heard the JVC doesn't have as many problems as the others. I do have a pretty small room, so hopefully I won't run into any issues...I guess I'll just have to gamble with one and try it out.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well i don't have any speakers yet, i was going to buy a receiver first and then the speakers, i was looking at either some canton's or infinity's because the wife wants' something that matches the entertainment unit!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Chhuoung, with either the Canton's or Infinity's just be sure to check that their impedance is 8 ohms and that their sensitivity is near 90db...with those guidelines you should be fine. And remember, these digital amps take quite a bit of time to break in, at least 75-100 hours so be patient with the sound....

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So what does it mean if the speaker says it's nominal impedence is 4...8ohms?? because that's what it says for the cantons.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.