AVS Forum banner

8761 - 8775 of 8775 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Guys!you wont believe what happened a couple of days ago...after almost 3 months being dissconnected from the wall, I just come back to the house where the 3008 is mounted and connected it again, turned it on and decided to make a new trial with audyssey...IT WORKS!! Omg!!:eek:...I dont know why, and would love to read what you think could be the reason but the calibration works again and absolutelly perfect! (Made already 4 calibrations without an issue)...my guess is that after reconnecting the loose flex cable inside next to the mic socket, AND after months without current, maybe some kind of batery internaly got empty and with it, something finally reset...then, as the cable was correctly installed, the new fresh start of the unit detected correctly the audyssey part and it works normally...this make me think that if you have an issue, you might need to let the avr dissconnected for really LONG periods of time...it was a pain on the neck for the summer but as a christmas gift, it does work again! Im very happy!...a different thing is that I dont like much what audyssey is doing to my sound tbh, it just killed all my bass and now it sounds completely anemic but thats another story :)...

Thanks all for your help, and now you know that these avrs might need a full discharge of probably months to fix some issues...merry chritsmas to all!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
a different thing is that I dont like much what audyssey is doing to my sound tbh, it just killed all my bass and now it sounds completely anemic but thats another story :)...
If you followed the recommended procedure with microphone positions, it should be pretty good.
Be careful not to place the mic to close to any wall or hard surface, especially the back wall.
If I recall correctly, I had to place it 65cm / 26 inches from my back wall to get the bass good.

Then (for my recommendation)

1. Turn off Dynamic EQ (which in turn also turns off Dynamic Volume)

2. Set all channels (including subwoofer bass) bass to +8 or +6.

3. Set all channelst treble to +2.

4. Increase Subwoofer trim/level with +4.

I kept the crossovers where they were set after the auto setup.

Avoid THX listening modes. For movies, I pretty much used PLIIx Movie for every sound format. Stereo for music.

·
Registered
64 Posts
...my guess is that after reconnecting the loose flex cable inside next to the mic socket
My guess is that the loose wire would be a pretty big contribution to the audyssey not working.

Surly if the dynamic EQ is off so are the audyssey calibrations... i know if i turn mine off the sound is thin and neutral with no bass.?

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you followed the recommended procedure with microphone positions, it should be pretty good.
Be careful not to place the mic to close to any wall or hard surface, especially the back wall.
If I recall correctly, I had to place it 65cm / 26 inches from my back wall to get the bass good.

2. Set all channels (including subwoofer bass) bass to +8 or +6.

3. Set all channelst treble to +2.

4. Increase Subwoofer trim/level with +4.

I kept the crossovers where they were set after the auto setup.

Avoid THX listening modes. For movies, I pretty much used PLIIx Movie for every sound format. Stereo for music.
The problem with setting the mic farder from my back wall is that then, the levels and distances for the listening position would be wrong...my back wall is about 50cm from my sofa so I guess I have a problem because I cant change that...

My guess is that the loose wire would be a pretty big contribution to the audyssey not working.

Surly if the dynamic EQ is off so are the audyssey calibrations... i know if i turn mine off the sound is thin and neutral with no bass.?
Yes and no...I mean, I already fixed the loose cable in the summer, and tried audyssey LOTS of times without success so it wasnt only the loose cable what was causing the issue...thats why I said Im not sure why the issue solved after a few months of no current on the unit, maybe there was current in some component that was preventing the avr from reseting something that even with the cable in its position wasnt working.

Btw, when you disable dynamic eq, audyssey calibration curve is still active unless you manually turn it off from the equalizer settings or activate any other real time eq like dolby volume...otherwise audyssey is still working by default (you can check it out in the avr screen for instance or in the setup menu).

I will have to make many more trials with audyssey, never made the full 8 positions calibration (only made 6) so maybe I will find a better results by doing the full thing...

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
No, the audyssey calibration is still "on" as just stated. What you turn off is the dynamically adjusting loudness contour curves which are applied on top of the audyssey calibration. The major critisim about Dynamic EQ is that it is "dynamic" and makes the sound sound "compressed".
With adjusting the treble and bass as I suggested, you can tailor your own "house curve". It won't be dynamic and will not be compensating based on the master volume setting but the sound will be cleaner.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
The problem with setting the mic farder from my back wall is that then, the levels and distances for the listening position would be wrong...my back wall is about 50cm from my sofa so I guess I have a problem because I cant change that...
The levels and distances are minor things here. My ears are about 37cm from the back wall. If I put the first mic position there, the bass and overall dynamics will suffer greatly IMHO. So, I never put the mic closer than 65cm from the back wall for any of the 8 positions.

If you really want "correct" distances and levels, write them down after a calibration with the first position where your ears will be.
Then run a calibration with all 8 positions at least 65cm from the back wall even if this will place some of the positions a bit in front of the listening area.
Then afterwards, if you feel you need to, enter the distances and levels you wrote down from the earlier calibration.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Another question for rickardl, This is very likely to be TV software update related but it worth asking anyway,

I have just been watching Netflix via the sets app (Samsung Q9FN 65" with the latest firmware just updated) and on checking the audio settings i noticed that for the first time that i can remember i could select Dolby Digital+.......the problem being that when i do this i get no sound from my AV receiver and if i switch back to normal DD there is still no sound to the receiver...i have to switch off the set and turn back on again in order to get the sound back, i am almost certain that its down to the set as despite my receiver displaying that its receiving a DD+ signal there is no sound, I have been through the receiver settings with a fine tooth comb but nothing will make it output the sound.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for the reply anyway, i knew it was a long-shot, will have to drop Samsung an email, but i suspect that will no yield any sensible response.

·
Registered
1 Posts
bmcleod or other Onkyo TX-NR3008 or 5008 owner:

So when you used the multichannel inputs and pure audio mode so that your Onkyo could act like a simple amplifier, I assume both your preamp and the onkyo unit controlled the volume levels in tandem. Is that correct? Any problems with that approach? Does the unit run cooler without the active video processing, or should I still direct a fan above the receiver vents?

I moved into a house with a dozen or so built in speakers (aside from those in the home theater system). I was considering getting a low cost Onkyo 3008 to cover another 7 of the 12 speakers (my old Carver THX premier 5 channel amp would cover the rest). The preamp is the "AudioAccess PX-600 Multi-room Preamp Controller", which was about $60 on Ebay.

The separate home theater portion uses a new Onkyo TX-RZ830 and another set of built-in speakers (Klipsch) from the previous owner. I chose this latest Onkyo because it has built compatability with Google Home assistant and chromecst, and because it supports Sonos and DNS-playFI wireless speaker expansion. I will output from this new Onkyo unit to the preamp, so that the whole house (and outside) can have Google voice assistant initiated sound (or Bluetooth when I'm in range).

The TX-NR3008 would serve as an amp for now, but would be a backup receiver if the newer unit goes out. I may hook up my old video game systems and SVHS player when my kid(s) get older, which use the really old S-video format. This is one of the last receivers that can take S-video and still has HDMI1.4a switching and upconversion.

The whole backwards and forward compatible system should only end up costing me around $1000 (thanks to Amazon and Ebay).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Someone knows of a more recent and accurate wpc meassurement of the 3008 in 5 or 7 channels?...I would love to know whats the real power of this unit. No matter if at 8/6 or 4 ohm. How would it compare to the 905 in terms of power?. I run it with only 5 channels and 6 ohm (Jamo 605) speakers so would like to know how much power is it delivering.

thanks!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Someone knows of a more recent and accurate wpc meassurement of the 3008 in 5 or 7 channels?...I would love to know whats the real power of this unit. No matter if at 8/6 or 4 ohm. How would it compare to the 905 in terms of power?. I run it with only 5 channels and 6 ohm (Jamo 605) speakers so would like to know how much power is it delivering.

thanks!
No, but I am also intersted in the same thing!
When my 3008 gives up, I would like to know that so I can get a new model with equal or more power.

·
Registered
64 Posts
No, but I am also intersted in the same thing!
When my 3008 gives up, I would like to know that so I can get a new model with equal or more power.
+1. Even if only an estimation from people with previous well meassured units (805,905,906,etc.) would be great.

·
Registered
64 Posts
thanks!, I would love to know of more other meassurements...maybe the 3007/9/10? cant find any detaled review about them with actual meassurements.

8761 - 8775 of 8775 Posts