AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard any news on Onkyo's new 800 and 900 series receivers? Will they have HDMI switching capability?

Last I heard was that there were new models labeled TX-NR803 and TX-NR903. Both units will have Nettune capability but that is all that has been published on the web so far. My Onkyo 939 died on me a few weeks ago and I'm starting to go crazy just listening to my TV speakers and desperately need to upgrade/replace my dead receiver. HDMI switching is important to me since my DVR and DVD player both have the capability (and eventually the new gaming systems coming out, I may add an Xbox 360 or PS3 later).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Any ideas when the new models are due out? I am shopping hard for an AVR and the Net Tune feature suits my setup perfectly.

Also, I had heard that the Onkyo "NR" receivers can't process WMA Lossless files, anyone know if this is correct and/or if the newer models will be able to process them?

K

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have also heard that the new receivers the 703/803/903 will all be XM ready. HDMI switching will be available on the 803 and 903 but not the 703. The suggested price point for the 803 is 999.00 from the conversation with Onecall.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Onkyo 573 7 x75W XM Ready Late August

603X 7 x 90W XM Ready Late September

703 7 x 100W XM Ready Late October

803 7 x 105W XM Ready Late October

Eric

·
Registered
621 Posts
What's XM ready?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landroval
What's XM ready?
XM ready just means that it likely has a built in tuner to be able to receive the XM satellite radio service ( a subscription based radio service). You would most likely still have to buy a separate antennae for the receiver.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Not interested in 903? :)

It is also said to have i.link. Probably it's natural and its slot architecture can accomodate HDMI and i.link cards they used for NR1000/10.5/7.1... ?!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone hear whether there are any enhancements to the zone 2 capabilities over the existing 801/901 models?

> I was just about to pull the trigger on the 801, but realized that zone 2 could only output analog sources. I was hoping to feed mp3's from a central server through both zones.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landroval
What's XM ready?
XM Ready is awesome..

XM Radio has designed an antenna that has a built-in sat tuner and DSP, it retails for $50.. Many AVRs now include this capability including models from Denon, Yamaha and others.. The antenna/tuner plugs into a mini connector on the rear panel of the AVR and then its operation is controlled by the AVR's remote control..

Here is a link that gives you more info...

https://xmradio.metrononline.com/xm/main.aspx

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
I have the literature on the new Onkyo lineup.

The 803 will ship in late October.

It is THX Select2 certified. They have 2 HDMI in/1 out.

Net-Tune is gone.

All the new Onkyo models have XM support (same with Integra, 'natch)

MSRP is $999.

There is no replacement for the 901 until next year.

Eric

·
Registered
397 Posts
Here's a link to a German website with info on the TX-SR803:

http://www.areadvd.de/news/2005/2005...20050002.shtml

And, here's the seriously scrambled Babelfish translation of the text:

Quote:
The TX-SR803E start the follow-up of the TX-NR801E and exhibits many new equipment characteristics - however he comes in contrast to the predecessor without the Net doing exponential function. The overview of the innovations: Now 7 x 140 Watts (6 ohms, 1 kHz) achievement THX SELECT 2 instead of THX SELECT pro Logic IIx instead of pro Logic II as with the predecessor 801 VLSC (Vector linear Shaping Circuitry) now for all channels innovative with the connection selection: Again 2 x HDMI of entrances and 1 HDMI exit are now, as meanwhile usual, 3 component entrances (and still an exit) car Setup by means of microphone still more precise progressive rate of the assumption frequency for the Subwoofer (40/60/70/80/90/110/120/ 150/200 cycles per second) RS232-Anschluss of the TX-SR703E replace the TX-SR702E. Here the differences: Now THX SELECT 2-Lizenz VLSC (Vector linear Shaping Circuitry) for all channels still more precise progressive rate of the assumption frequency for the Subwoofer (40/60/70/80/90/110/120/ 150/200 cycles per second) coloured of marked 7.1-Eingang and 7.1-Preout the achievement remained alike with 7 x 130 Watts. Both new Onkyo AV aV-Receiver are alternatively in black or silver version available.
car Setup? I love that...... :D

No sign of i.link. I don't expect slot-architecture at this price point. The variety of crossover frequencies available is a nice addition, however. I wonder if the 803 transcodes composite/S-video/component to HDMI? For many that will be a feature that sells them on a new model.

B&H Photo is taking orders on it at $999.00. They are showing the 803 as 105wpc X 7 (8-ohm rating).
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by egcarter
I have the literature on the new Onkyo lineup.

The 803 will ship in late October.

It is THX Select2 certified. They have 2 HDMI in/1 out.

Net-Tune is gone.

All the new Onkyo models have XM support (same with Integra, 'natch)

MSRP is $999.

There is no replacement for the 901 until next year.

Eric
Eric,

Do you mean that 903 will be announced in CES2006?

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
No slots or iLink for the 803 (for $999???!).

I dunno when the 903 (or whatever the number will be...904? 905?) will be announced. Sometime in 2006.

Eric

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
I'm pretty darn sure the 803 does not transcode to HDMI. Simply a 2-in/1-out HDMI pass-thru switch.

It transcodes composite and S-video to component with a TBC. 3-in/1-out component.

5-in/3-out composite and s-video

Eric

·
Registered
397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by egcarter
I'm pretty darn sure the 803 does not transcode to HDMI. Simply a 2-in/1-out HDMI pass-thru switch.

It transcodes composite and S-video to component with a TBC. 3-in/1-out component.

5-in/3-out composite and s-video

Eric
I may just go with an 803 for the audio and a DVDO VP30 for my video switching.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If NetTune is gone, then why is the 803 still known as an "NR" model, which I assumed stood for Network receiver. XM is nice, but only if you live in the US. Certainly NetTune is far from perfect (kludgy software, limited stations, etc.), however it's still kind of cool to have Internet radio presets. Any idea if NetTune is going to be replaced with something similar? I did have a feeling this was coming, however, as they have discontinued the NetTune receivers here in Japan.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
The 803 ships in late October; the Integra version, the DTR-7.6, ships in November ($1400) and adds such features as bi-directional RS-232 port, IR input & output jacks, 3 assignable 12 triggers, 3 yr warranty, etc. The HDMI on these receivers is version 1.1

Eric

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.