AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just received my oppo today and hooked up pic was really good. Calibrated tv(samsung dlp) and then tweaked with dvd settings. The picture is pretty darn close to hd channels,not quite, but i do think as good as hbo and hdnet movies. I checked out sharks tale and lotr-return of the king. both were fantastic and while hd dvd players are coming , i have seen vhs,dvds both take extreramly long to be where they ended up.The player has the new firmware and i see no shimmering,lip sync is perfect(and thats with samsung dlp). I also don't see any missing pixels on the sides. The only complaint i have is that what little i tried the zoom, it isn,t very good.but i never use it anyway. The upscaling is very evident. Everything is sharper and i noticed quite a few things in pic i never did before. The strange thing is on my satelitte box the picture was better outputting 1080 i and let my tv convert to 720p.On the oppo quite a bit better on 720p. For a 199 well worth the money.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I ordered mine from Oppo last night. Did you get it from Amazon or Oppo? If Oppo; how long did it take to come in?

I was planning on buying this at the end of the September for my birthday (from the wife and daughter of course), but last night my Panny CP67 coughed up H07 and died (the same day I finally tweak my set for awesome resolution at 480p, incidentally) so it looks like my birthday is coming early this year.

HDDVD is coming. Is it going to turn into the minidisc or DAT? I'm sure the technology will be out of this world, but I've got over $3000 in 480p DVDs. Besides, what's after HDDVD? In 10 years will there be something new? IMAX quality film resolution coming out of a super HDDVD player and all these shmoes who blew a fortune on updating their library to 1080i/p DVDs will be sad sacks indeed.

IMO the best thing the HDDVD makers can do is put out players that can upscale 480p and play HD, then they might make a buck on new releases, but not so much on re-releases. But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I ordered one from Oppo yesterday morning and received a shipping notification last night. They ship using Fed-Ex Ground and mine will be here Friday.

Depends on where you are located. Oppo is in Northern California so It's only two days to me.

Jim

·
Registered
74 Posts
tycl, did you try the multi-region hack? i want to order one of these players, but i just wanted to make sure that the hack still works. thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by megalopav
tycl, did you try the multi-region hack? i want to order one of these players, but i just wanted to make sure that the hack still works. thanks
I got mine last Friday, it's simple to do and region free.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Press 9210 on the remote

A menu will show up

Change the region to your desired

·
Registered
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycl
The strange thing is on my satelitte box the picture was better outputting 1080 i and let my tv convert to 720p.On the oppo quite a bit better on 720p. For a 199 well worth the money.
I've seen the same thing with my setup. If you talking abut a 1080i HD source, either your tv or the sat box will need to convert to 720p. Your tv is just doing a better job of the conversion than the sat box. With DVD, the optimal way to go is 480i->480p->720p. Upconverting to 1080i for a 720p TV just adds another conversion in the chain which would likely hurt image quality.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.