AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out this review . It is available at FutureShop and in stock (Canadian).

Initially, I thought the H27 was an older model, but I googled it and read that it is newer and replaces the 9 mo. old H31.

I am confused... is the H27 a H31 replacement, like the review said? Or is it simply another model to co-exist with the H31? ProjectorCentral had a shootout that says the H27 "trails the entire pack" (4805, H31, etc.), but the above review says it is newer and better than the H31?!

·
Registered
190 Posts
are you using this projector for computer uses.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It does look like the H27 is a newer version of the H31. It looks like it has slightly better bells and whistles. These two functions are not in the H31:

O2airâ„¢ - Photocatalysis air-purification technology - creates photocatalytic reaction eliminates odors I/O Port

ImageAIâ„¢ - Image Auto intensifier auto adjust video output for an amazing high contrast and details

It looks like it can boost contrast ratios to higher levels than the H31

with ImageAI (a gimmick?).

It also has VGA input unlike the H31.

It also rated quieter (27db v 30 db).

I believe the lens throw angle is also lower than the H31

Why are we not hearing about this version?

If you go to the optomausa.com website and look at the faxable data sheets you can see that the H27 has a newer copyright than the H31.

Running the numbers at projector central shows that it will throw a smaller screen than the H31 at the same distance.

hmmm.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have been looking into this projector for a little bit now, and I am quite interested.

Check out this thread for a little more info:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=h27

It sounds like Guitarman likes it. My only concern is the very low brightness that this PJ was given by projector central, but I am pretty much convinced they did something wrong/had a bad PJ as Guitarman read output at around 370-385 lumens.

My only concern with this one is whether or not it has issues connecting to a PC via DVI, as this is a deal breaker for me. There is user that has confirmed he is able to get a signal this way, and none that have reported issues. I am hoping to hear from more users on this one. One of the sales rep's I have talked to is supposedly contacting his Optoma rep to ask about this issue.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Off the top of my head I know of 3 differences

Different de-interlaing scalers in the units. I believe the H31 is slightly better. Moot point if sending progressive signal. This is probalbly a minor difference.

The H31 has a shorter throw. This means it will sit slightly closer to the screen for the same setup.

The H27 has a larger offset. This means if both were sitting side by side on a coffee table, the H27 image would be higher. I think H31 is 37% of screen height, H27 = 53%.

The last 2 points should be carefully considered based on your individual setup.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks. It was helpful.

It does look like it was intended to be the replacement to the H31 until the H31 became very popular. It would be great if there were some more reviews out there.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by case
Check out this thread for a little more info:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=h27
It was late last night (>midnight) when I was checking out the FutureShop flyer and noticed the ad for H27. I googled a bit, and posted my excitement (and confusion), then went to bed.

I should have posted in the original thread instead of starting a new one.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The H27 was produced as an exclusive model for the Wal-Mart US chain, and I guess it has been expanded to include Future Shop here in Canada.

Optoma is doing this to avoid price wars, and offer entry level to the average consumer.

It is my understanding after speaking directly with sales representatives in Optoma, the H31 is still a superior unit to the H27 model.

Will

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
That's a great idea to get the projector more into mainstream, so it becomes more of a mass market item and prices will come down (as long as quality is maintained or improved)...

·
Registered
85 Posts
sirredz,

What did the Optoma rep say made the H31 better? Is it just the better scaler/deinterlacer?

I am just curious.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirredz
The H27 was produced as an exclusive model for the Wal-Mart US chain, and I guess it has been expanded to include Future Shop here in Canada.

Optoma is doing this to avoid price wars, and offer entry level to the average consumer.

It is my understanding after speaking directly with sales representatives in Optoma, the H31 is still a superior unit to the H27 model.

Will
haven't remotely seen any evidence that walmart even carries optoma, let alone the h27, but who knows :rolleyes: (disregarding the rules of the forum.......)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Quote:
The H27 was produced as an exclusive model for the Wal-Mart US chain...
That's funny, B&H has the Optoma H27 unit and I think Amazon has it too. Both at very competitive prices. I really hate misinformation, as I'm sure many other readers do...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.