AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a sub for a 70/30 mix of HT and music. My living room is 12'4" x 16' and is open to the kitchen/dining room, which is about 11' x 16'8". The living room has vaulted ceilings as well.

I am in an apartment, so I probably won't be blasting it, but it will be on an isolator.

I was looking at a HSU VTF 2.3 that's $40 off now, or there's a VTF 3.3 for $560 plus shipping on Audiogon.

Should I go with a new one for the warranty, or would a used one be fine? And is that a good price for the 3.3, it seems pretty high only being $800 shipped new.

And would these be better than a Bic PL-200 enough to justify spending twice as much?

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Those subs will kick the pants off a PL-200, not that the PL-200 is a bad sub. 560 shipped is an OK price for a VTF3, not a great one, and only if it is in good shape, and not over a couple years old. If it is older than a couple years, I would go for the VTF2.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I'll probably be going with some HSU then. The VTF3 is over 3 years old, but he said it was only used for a month and put away with a 9/10 condition.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How would an eD A3-300 compare to a VTF2? They are about the same price. The A3-250 says it has the same power and frequency response, but is a lot cheaper, does the 10" driver make that much difference?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's something to consider, it's about $45 more than a new VTF2

·
Vendor
6,599 Posts
Whenever possible I would look for graphs(with decent resolution) showing the response of a subwoofer instead of just a "123-123hz" type of "spec". If you can find third party reviews showing the same, that is even better.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am leaning toward the FV12 now, though I'm not quite sure how the bass extension controls work. It has a 2 year shorter warranty on the woofer compared to the VTF2, and the Rythmiks don't seem to come with spike feet. How would output/accuracy compare between the two?

There is a craigslist F15 for $600 obo as well. It has an A370PEQ amp (not sure if it's older than the A370PEQ2 listed in new F15's). I haven't looked much at sealed subs though.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He says it's still available and in very good condition and I could come by and look at it whenever. Being sealed and larger, how would output and speed compare to the 12" ported subs? I've never heard a sealed sub before.

What would be a good offer, and is it worth it to go used without a warranty?

·
Banned
534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradthebold88 /forum/post/20834009

http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/2498658401.html

There's the listing, he says it's still available and in very good condition and I could come by and look at it whenever. Being sealed and larger, how would output and speed compare to the 12" ported subs? I've never heard a sealed sub before.

What would be a good offer, and is it worth it to go used without a warranty?

The Rythmik FV12 will have about 2db more output over the F15. The F15 will have advantage in accuracy/musicality.

$600 for a new FV12 or $600 for a used F15? I personally think the F15 is a better deal.

You can shoot the seller an offer of $500 and go from there.

I would roll the dice on the F15. If the F15 is working, I would think if continue to work. But if you feel better having warranty, go with the FV12.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm leaning pretty hard towards the F15 if it looks good. What would I cross this over at? It looks like it starts to drop off pretty fast above 70Hz. My Def Tech BP10B mains claim they can go down to 20Hz. Should I match them at 60, 70, 80 Hz, or overlap 50/70, 60/80 Hz?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am going to go look at the F15 tomorrow, and I'm really tempted by finding a used one, but will i even be usable in an apartment? I live in nicer apartments, and the walkway between doors on our floors are made of concrete. I'm not sure about between apartments though.

I played my speakers pretty loud for a few hours during the day when I got them to test and no one complained, but I don't want to drop $500+ on a sub I can't use. Do you think it's worth getting?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
You don't have to play a sub at reference levels to appreciate it's quality, and someday you might be in a bigger place and need more output. Used Rythmiks are tough to come by.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Picked it up for $550 today, great condition, setting it up now : )

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, well now I'm having problems. I ran Audyssey MultiEQ XT and setting the sub to 75dB seemed very quiet, just audible pretty much. The sub has the high pass all the way up and the gain is set half way. Audyssey set the speakers to -8dB and the sub to +0.5

I played the skadoosh scene from Kung Fu Panda (a ripped version), but there was pretty much no bass at all, you could just barely hear anything. I played that scene before the subs at it was much louder sounding out of my towers and even distorted the speakers at higher volume. The sub seemed to work fine at the previous owner's place, we watched the Dark Knight and listened to music with the gain at 40%.

Seems to be working with music, at -40 it is a lot more noticeable than the movie at -20. Maybe it's just a lot quieter than I thought it would be. I normally listen to the speakers set to 0dB in Audyssey around -35 or -40 and that's a pretty good volume. It seems like I would have to turn it up a lot more than that to make the sub match.

What should I adjust? The Audyssey numbers? The sub gain?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradthebold88 /forum/post/0

Ok, well now I'm having problems. I ran Audyssey MultiEQ XT and setting the sub to 75dB seemed very quiet, just audible pretty much. The sub has the high pass all the way up and the gain is set half way. Audyssey set the speakers to -8dB and the sub to +0.5

I played the skadoosh scene from Kung Fu Panda (a ripped version), but there was pretty much no bass at all, you could just barely hear anything. I played that scene before the subs at it was much louder sounding out of my towers and even distorted the speakers at higher volume. The sub seemed to work fine at the previous owner's place, we watched the Dark Knight and listened to music with the gain at 40%.

Seems to be working with music, at -40 it is a lot more noticeable than the movie at -20. Maybe it's just a lot quieter than I thought it would be. I normally listen to the speakers set to 0dB in Audyssey around -35 and that's a pretty good volume. It seems like I would have to turn it up a lot more than that to make the sub match.

What should I adjust? The Audyssey numbers? The sub gain?

I don't know Audyssey, but have you checked that your fronts are set to small?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I crossed the fronts over at 60Hz and the sub at 80Hz. From what I've read it seems like for most people Audyssey sets the sub around -12, but it set mine to 0.5.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradthebold88 /forum/post/0

Yeah, I crossed the fronts over at 60Hz and the sub at 80Hz. From what I've read it seems like for most people Audyssey sets the sub around -12, but it set mine to 0.5.

Cross your sub at 120 and your Fronts at 80. The LPf of lfe should be 120. Make sure you have the crossover on the sub all the way up on the actual sub. You can also turn up the sub trim within the receiver to your liking.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.