AVS Forum banner

new outdoor home theater project (question)

494 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  unikr0n
So I'm Getting ready to tackle this project outdoors in my sister's back yard. I have most of the logistics figured out since im not a stranger to putting together home theaters.
However, I've never done one outside and I'm heavily researching in advance.

My main problem I'm having trouble figuring out is audio because my sister wants wireless speakers. But I prefer wired. So I'm trying to locate an AV receiver That allows for total 5.1 surround sound via bluetooth.

I know that's not ideal for nice home theater setups (atleast not in my book its not). But if anyone has any experience with this or can point me to a full bluetooth system with wireless speakers that allows for multiple components. That would be awesome! Or is it even possible? 2 front speakers, 1 center and 2 rear satellites all connecting to 1 av receiver that's running the projector, computer, game console..etc. Thanks for any input!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Wireless speakers as in each speaker needs a power outlet or battery powered speakers?
Wireless speakers as in each speaker needs a power outlet or battery powered speakers?
Exactly, Mike. I know that's got to be a stretch huh? I couldn't find anything
So I'm Getting ready to tackle this project outdoors in my sister's back yard. I have most of the logistics figured out since im not a stranger to putting together home theaters.
However, I've never done one outside and I'm heavily researching in advance.

My main problem I'm having trouble figuring out is audio because my sister wants wireless speakers. But I prefer wired. So I'm trying to locate an AV receiver That allows for total 5.1 surround sound via bluetooth.

I know that's not ideal for nice home theater setups (atleast not in my book its not). But if anyone has any experience with this or can point me to a full bluetooth system with wireless speakers that allows for multiple components. That would be awesome! Or is it even possible? 2 front speakers, 1 center and 2 rear satellites all connecting to 1 av receiver that's running the projector, computer, game console..etc. Thanks for any input!
No such animal...

Bluetooth was never designed to work with video and that's why you don't see them for sale.

Bluetooth and video are not a good mix because of the inherent latency with Bluetooth. Even the aptX LL has 40ms latency.

The other issue is that it's impossible for Bluetooth to sync with the TMDS data flow/clock with an HDMI source as no Bluetooth device has an HDMI connection/sink.

If you must use a wireless connection for an AV installation, look at 2.5GHz TX/RX's designed for this purpose. WiFi 2.5GHz will have much better quality, transmit over longer distance, and any latency is typically < 20ms. but then you still have to problem of suppling power to each speaker location.

Denon Professional, SVS, and others have the 2.5GHz hardware. The Denon units model numbers are DN-202WR/DN-202WT.

FWIW, I use a 5.3 system for our outdoor theater. What I did was trench burial rated speaker cable. You can stub up in an inground box with a 1/4" jack or speakon connection, etc. and plug in the speakers as needed. It's low voltage, hidden from sight for the most part, with almost no risk. You can even use 14/2 or 12/2 low voltage landscape lighting wire as speaker cable and save some money.
See less See more
Wow, thank you so much for that thorough explanation! That makes sense about the latency issue.

I will go back to the drawing board.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.