AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired a used UH480 - thought I was buying a used CineVista, but a got a UH480 instead. Came with Panamorph projector/lens mount plate (AK8PRO-S for Epson and other PJs, I have a JVC RS45), Chief RPA mount and Panamorph motorized sled. The mounting plate and RPA will be on ebay soon...

So I need a different projector mount plate.. Found a b-stock Panamorph AK8-3D - for JVC projectors for $500, but boy is that a lot of coin for a mount. I also came across the "home theater brothers mount". An acceptable solution, but would require some mods to make work with the panamorph motorized sled. The Panamorph plate has the advantage of ease of install and also the fact that the center of balance is compensated for.

Can anyone else suggest alternate solutions for mounts for the JVC and the UH480 combo?

Currently the front of the RS45 is about 12', 6" or 150" inches from my 2.35:1 screen that has a height of 46". This gives a 3.2 screen heights or a 1.82 throw ratio. I know that this puts me in the lower portion of the acceptable UH480 range. So what kind of deficiencies can I expect in this case? Any tips for dealing with them? Is pin-cushion and some image softness the only issues?

Clearly the CineVista would work better at my short throw and that's what I was looking for, but the UH480 is a superior lens and I need it to work in my current install.

So to re-cap, my questions:

1) Lens and/or projector/lens mount ideas.

2) Using the lower end of the supported range of 150" with 46" high screen.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Perhaps you could hang a shelf from 4 corners.

Shifting up/down isn't so bad, but shifting left/right is bad. You just need to angle the lens for up/down. The main issue is just getting the image straight, rather than a trapezoid.

If you drill holes in that HTB plate, make sure you secure it in a drill press, so you don't eviscerate yourself.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went ahead and bought the Panamorph projector/lens mount for my PJ - pricey but it'll make the setup easier.

Anyone have the UH480 at a short throw of 12' or so?

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Recommended throw for the UH480 is 3X screen height or more, so you are good there. Optimum throw distance is 14.5 - 17.5 feet, but you should still have very good focus at 12'. I've seen the 480 at 12' many times and it looks great. It would be *slightly* sharper at 14.5', but we are talking differences in sharpness only really noticeable with test patterns at about 3 feet from the screen

You will have some slight pincushion.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I finally got everything up and it's all looking very good and pleasing to the eye.

The panamorph mount for the UH480 makes for an easy install and with the lens, I've added around 30lbs to my ceiling mounted setup (all Chief stuff).

Yes, I got some pincushion and some slight image softness, but as you say John, neither are noticeable at any realistic viewing distance.

I have to say I am back to loving the use of a lens. I went from no lens, to a low end Prismasonic lens (no CA correction) to no lens and lens memory to now this current setup. The motorized sled makes watching 3D movies in 1.78 easy and bright. No light spill what-so-ever. My HTPC desktop is fully visible again. And movies simply look better now that the pixels are not so large via the zoom/lens memory method - that's really where the biggest difference is.

·
Premium Member
4,112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly85  /t/1505660/new-owner-of-panamorph-uh480-couple-of-questions#post_24273860

I finally got everything up and it's all looking very good and pleasing to the eye.

The panamorph mount for the UH480 makes for an easy install and with the lens, I've added around 30lbs to my ceiling mounted setup (all Chief stuff).

Yes, I got some pincushion and some slight image softness, but as you say John, neither are noticeable at any realistic viewing distance.

I have to say I am back to loving the use of a lens. I went from no lens, to a low end Prismasonic lens (no CA correction) to no lens and lens memory to now this current setup. The motorized sled makes watching 3D movies in 1.78 easy and bright. No light spill what-so-ever. My HTPC desktop is fully visible again. And movies simply look better now that the pixels are not so large via the zoom/lens memory method - that's really where the biggest difference is.

I have the UH480 on my new Sony VPL VW500ES, the lens is 13.5 feet from the screen. Screen is 120" diagonal 2.35:1....obviously
According to Panamorph I can go to 136" diagonal.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts

Quote:
I have the UH480 on my new Sony VPL VW500ES, the lens is 13.5 feet from the screen. Screen is 120" diagonal 2.35:1....obviously wink.gif According to Panamorph I can go to 136" diagonal.

Finally. I just bought a UH480 and am expecting it in the mail shortly. I have been using a HTB lens for quite some time. It has been pretty good for movies, but now that I'm using a HTPC for gaming, its shortcomings are readily apparent. I'm hoping that this new lens will be a big enough bump in sharpness/contrast, etc, that I will be content with it even when 4k comes to town (read: sub $3K 4K projectors). I have a similar setup in that the lens will be 13.5' from the screen, except my screen is about 138". So, I'm over what Panamorph suggests. Despite that, I think it will still be a lot better than what I currently have. My limitation is the projector in its lack of zoom, otherwise it would be back farther. The nice thing is that when I outgrow the projector, my room is large enough to accommodate a larger throw ratio to match the lens' specs. Stay tuned for pics...

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Ok I just got my lens and set it up. Wow! Is it ever sharp! I spent maybe 30 seconds setting it up, guesstimating what the right angle should be (and, tbh, using the HTB lens mount). Edge to edge focus is fantastic, as I was using my HTPC as a test. If there is any softening to the image as some have noted, it is so negligible as to be insignificant to my eyes. For the money I spent, my HTB lens was a great buy and is a great solution for CIH for the budget savvy enthusiast. However, the UH480 is a no compromise solution to CIH IMHO. Life is crazy right now with kids and spring break, but I'll try to post some pics ASAP. I wasn't sure what to expect with this lens, but it has done everything I was hoping/expecting it to and then some. I can't wait to watch movies on it!

·
Registered
5,756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster  /t/1505660/new-owner-of-panamorph-uh480-couple-of-questions#post_24492288

Ok I just got my lens and set it up. Wow! Is it ever sharp! I spent maybe 30 seconds setting it up, guesstimating what the right angle should be (and, tbh, using the HTB lens mount). Edge to edge focus is fantastic, as I was using my HTPC as a test. If there is any softening to the image as some have noted, it is so negligible as to be insignificant to my eyes. For the money I spent, my HTB lens was a great buy and is a great solution for CIH for the budget savvy enthusiast. However, the UH480 is a no compromise solution to CIH IMHO. Life is crazy right now with kids and spring break, but I'll try to post some pics ASAP. I wasn't sure what to expect with this lens, but it has done everything I was hoping/expecting it to and then some. I can't wait to watch movies on it!

Glad to hear it

I do most of my testing of image sharpness with an HTPC desktop, and both my older UH480 and my newer DC1 were pinsharp corner to corner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts