AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have finally closed (Fri) on my first house. It was built back in 1962, so there is NO Cat5 installed.
The phone line installation is scary (cable runs from the box outside into the attic, where it is spliced to 4 different jacks all over the house...

Based on my needs, and what I have been reading here in the forums I've come to the conclusion that this upgrade is going to take a long time.

When all is said and done, I'm looking to have:

A Home Theater setup in the living room (Blu-ray, HDTV, Receiver, 5.1)

Equip rack in the basement

HD Tivo box

FiOS HD box (for on demand and second video source)

Nuvo Grand Concerto Whole House Audio

(including the audio from the DVD player in the living room)

Component video matrix to distribute video to all sources

(including the component output from the DVD player in the living room)

Charmed Quark Systems Automation server

Destinations include:

Living Room

Kitchen

Dining Room (audio only)

Patio (audio only)

Bedroom

Office

Guest Room

I'm still trying to decide on the the video matrix switcher, and have come to realize I need to do something about IR distribution

I've also started counting the Cat5e, coax, and speaker cables that I need to run.

I've only got a basement under the living room, and there are two attic spaces. The lower one seems to have a common wall with the upper one. The lower attic is over the kitchen, guest room. The bedroom and office are over the dining room, and the 'upper' attic is over the bedroom, office and master bath.

Any assistance/tips from people who have gone thru a renovation to an older house would be GREAT!

Greg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Greg,

I am in the same situation as you, I am currently renovating my 100 year old home and looking to pretty much do the same thing. I found a guy over at bocsco.com that is currently writing a ebook (it's free btw, and full of useful information) on what to consider when you're looking to get into home wiring.

The basic idea is to have all of your services that come into the home come in at one point, and from that one point branch off into other rooms of the house. He breaks this down pretty well and will provide a lot of insight on how many cables to run and things to look out for.

I hope that helped.

- Tony

doh, forgot the site:

http://www.bocsco.com/prewire

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Read as much as you can, before pulling any cables. Lots of things to consider.

Don't go buy 1000' of cat6 from Monoprice, on a whim.

Take it slowly, you want to do a good job.

Of course, you'll likely buy a few boxes of cat6 from Monoprice eventually, but I'm trying to make a point.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakified /forum/post/18281140

Greg,

I am in the same situation as you, I am currently renovating my 100 year old home and looking to pretty much do the same thing. I found a guy over at bocsco.com that is currently writing a ebook (it's free btw, and full of useful information) on what to consider when you're looking to get into home wiring.

The basic idea is to have all of your services that come into the home come in at one point, and from that one point branch off into other rooms of the house. He breaks this down pretty well and will provide a lot of insight on how many cables to run and things to look out for.

I hope that helped.

- Tony

doh, forgot the site:

http://www.bocsco.com/prewire

THANKS! I'll check it out today.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad /forum/post/18282326

Read as much as you can, before pulling any cables. Lots of things to consider.

Don't go buy 1000' of cat6 from Monoprice, on a whim.

Take it slowly, you want to do a good job.

Of course, you'll likely buy a few boxes of cat6 from Monoprice eventually, but I'm trying to make a point.

I've read a lot, and will continue to do so, but I am in the middle of some renovations and don't want to waste the opportunity to take advantage of the exposed walls...

Well, I guess here is my first of 1000's of questions ....

Is the additional cost of Cat 6 worth it, or will Cat5e be enough?

Deep Surplus has cat 5e for $47... Cat 6 is more than double that cost.

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Shop around, you can prob find cat6 for slightly cheaper.

Personally, I am using cat6. I think it's worth the cost difference.

However, many/most people would just use cat5e.

Don't forget the cat6 connectors are also more expensive than cat5e.

Look for solid cat5e and cat6, try not to get the stranded.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad /forum/post/18285528

Well, its been a while since I looked into Cat6, and it is not as bad as I thought.

Monoprice has it listed at a good price, so I am probably ordering Cat6.

I don't want to pull wire again anytime soon.

Thanks for the heads up on the connectors needing to be Cat6. I'm aware, and that was driving me toward Cat5e also.

But not needing to pull cable again is overshadowing the cost increase.

THANKS!!!!

I'm glad I asked. I would have been very
if I bought Cat5e and ran it, then found the cost of 6 had decreased.

Thanks again!

Greg

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
I have a few wiring diagrams in the site in my sig. Wire, wire, & more wire.

How easy is it to run wires in that house? My house is 99 years old, and is only 1 main floor with easy access to crawlspace & attic, so it was trivial. It's about 1600 sqft, i think i've gone through 3000' of Cat 5e, 1500' of speaker wire, 2500' of 18/4 or 22/4, and more. I believe I counted something like 75-100 independent runs of varying distances. Admittedly, much of that is because it was so damn easy that I kept running more wire over time, at one point I spent at least 1 weekend/month running wire for 18 straight months, sometimes several weekends/month.

You know it's bad when your neighbors begin mocking you; (hey IVB, it's almost noon on Saturday, I can't believe you don't have the ladder up to the attic to run more wires!) or.. (Hey IVB, nasa called, they need to borrow some of your wires).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad /forum/post/18285528

Apparently, monoprice is having website issues and will not be able to take any orders for about 2 weeks.

Any other good sources that I can check while they sort things out?

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Check prices at your local HD/Lowes, a couple local electric supply stores (usually have distributor level prices, save $), Deep Surplus, Automated Outlet (call if you don't see it on their website), Worthington Distribution (register online), setnetpro.com (register online).

I bet the cheapest, and easiest, will be a local electric supply store. Make friends with the salesman at the counter, look for the same guy every trip. They may not be open Saturdays, but they open early on weekdays - find a place that's convenient to work.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVB /forum/post/18286732

I have a few wiring diagrams in the site in my sig. Wire, wire, & more wire. ....

IVB -

I checked out your site while I was in research mode....All I can say is WOW!

I hope one day to have a system as impressive as yours.

Its a bit more difficult, but I'm finding that it is not impossible.

With some walls down, and the attic bare (no insulation) it seems to be the perfect time to do it. So, I may run 'more than I need'... but I'm sure it will all be used in a short time.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad /forum/post/18287768

Check prices at your local HD/Lowes, a couple local electric supply stores (usually have distributor level prices, save $), Deep Surplus, Automated Outlet (call if you don't see it on their website), Worthington Distribution (register online), setnetpro.com (register online).

I bet the cheapest, and easiest, will be a local electric supply store. Make friends with the salesman at the counter, look for the same guy every trip. They may not be open Saturdays, but they open early on weekdays - find a place that's convenient to work.

Actually , HD wants $200+ for Cat6

But good suggestions for the other locations....

Thanks!!

·
Registered
971 Posts
Home Depot is weird. I once found that they had 100' packages of leviton Cat6. If you purchased 10 of them it was like 2/3 the price of 1000' of Cat6. Its usually more expensive when you purchase smaller quantities.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg631 /forum/post/18280453

So, I have finally closed (Fri) on my first house. ...

Equip rack in the basement

HD Tivo box

FiOS HD box (for on demand and second video source)

Nuvo Grand Concerto Whole House Audio

(including the audio from the DVD player in the living room)

Component video matrix to distribute video to all sources

(including the component output from the DVD player in the living room)

Charmed Quark Systems Automation server

Greg

Well, I may be redesigning the system ...

I was looking at the following:

Nuvo Grand Concerto for audio distribution

Neothings Concord for Video Matrix

but then I saw the Netstreams DigiLinX which will do audio and video over IP.

Anyone have any experience with the Netstreams system?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
I haven't read of anyone installing a Netstreams system DIY, always with a pro CI.

If you plan to use a CI for the installation, involve him before you pull the wires yourself, so he can help plan.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad /forum/post/18300961

I haven't read of anyone installing a Netstreams system DIY, always with a pro CI.

If you plan to use a CI for the installation, involve him before you pull the wires yourself, so he can help plan.

Sorry for the confusion... I didn't think I could do Netstreams DIY... Was just looking for some experience with the system, before I go down the path of considering the pro CI route.

Good call on involving the CI BEFORE pulling wires.

TY

1 - 16 of 16 Posts