Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Thanks in part to this forum (I'm a long time lurker), I just purchased the sirt150 and I couldn't be happier with it. I just had a few questions that I couldn't find answers to with the search.

1) I'm conecting to a mits 46807. Anybody know the remote code for the mits TV? Mitsubishi is not listed under the TV codes.

2) Do I always leave the output at 1080i? What about on stations like Fox (I'm in the L.A. area and I believe they broadcast in 480p)? On stations like ABC that broadcast 720p, does the STB convert it to 1080i?

3) Does anyone know if it's possible to program the remote that comes with the samsung to control an a/v receiver? It's probably unlikely but I thought I would ask.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eiroc
1) ..Anybody know the remote code for the mits TV? Mitsubishi is not listed under the TV codes.

2) Do I always leave the output at 1080i? .. On stations like ABC that broadcast 720p, does the STB convert it to 1080i?

3) ..possible to program the remote ..to control an a/v receiver?
1. I had no luck finding out a code for my Toshiba TV yet either, sorry.

2. Yes. All channels will be converted to output however you set the output switch in the back, regardless of what is broadcast. The SVHS output is always actively doing its output also.[

3. Doesn't look like it to me either. A high end universal learning remote is the best solution for too many remote controls.

The main issue with DTV seems to be whether the broadcast is wide-screen or regular and how to fit that onto your TV screen when the two are not the same shape. That leads to the burn-in question and using black or gray bars to letter-box or pillar-box the picture onto the screen.

And just to confuse folks, a TV station itself will often send out a widescreen picture (at 720p or 1080i) at ALL times, but they pillar-box their regular width and low-res programming picture into the middle of their high res signal. The tuner still sees a widescreen HD picture, but it's really a standard TV picture with black bars on the sides. The Pillar-box Letter-box Full & Zoom settings will get you around the issue.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi,

My question would be why you decided to buy what I understand is an OTA only STB. I'm not being a smart-ass here since I am considering the SIRT 150 myself along with Time Warner cable. But then I get to thinking what if I change my mind and want to go satellite I've wasted my money. What is your configuration and why not a DirectTV or Dish box. Also, where did you get your Samsung and about what did you pay, if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks for any info,

Lou

·
Registered
69 Posts
I can respond to the last question. I went with the Samsung because I'm in a condo where satellite is not a viable option, and I will be here for several years. I wanted the best OTA receiver I could get, and the Samsung was highly rated. Plus I took advantage of the $100 rebate they had (and still have, I think). By pricematching with my American Express Blue card, I was able to get it for $430 all in, from my local Tweeter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the reply rick. I 've noticed too that most stations do send out a widescreen image with the sd picture in the middle. i do prefer it to the grey bars of the samsung. however, i think i am in the minority when i say that i actually prefer having the station stretch the sd picture rather than include the side bars. on my tv, I can't change the format so whatever they broadcast is what I get, unless I fudge with the screen format on the samsung.

lou, my stb is only ota?!?!

but seriuosly, I was only interested in an ota receiver. direct tv and dish weren't an option for me now because i live in an apartment with no exposure to the southern sky. I know it prevents me from getting satellite service in the future, but to be honest, i'm not much of a cable tv person. Ever since I got my mits 46807, I just wanted to pick up over the air (ie free) hdtv. I think you'd be surprised by how many people who are only interested in ota at this time. After reading many reviews and this forum, I knew that the samsung stb was one of the better stbs out there for ota signals. when the rebate offer came back (100 off), I knew this was a good time to buy. I purchased mine from jandr.com for 550 (450 after rebate). I know there are other cheaper places (i think vanns.com is selling for 480-490, but they are out of stock). if you really want more prices, I think there is a thread somewhere about this already. i would search under samsung and see what you get.

·
Registered
411 Posts
My 'High end' learning remote is a Sony RM-VL700. It costs $40. I programmed all my SIRT-150 stuff into the CBL/SAT button. With a learning remote you can really get creative. I have had it learn commands for other devices on the TV button so i don't have to hit the 'Function' button first; there are several Receiver buttons that now work from the TV button. Plus my Sony XBR 400 remote has special buttons that had to be programmed. Like split screen, resize, Favorites, and freeze.

The Atlanta Fox offers a 16:9 channel and a 4:3 channel. Since I seldom watch with the stb not set for 1080i output, I normally don't appreciate the differences. On all non network material the picture is stretched on both channels on mny 4:3 TV.

They are making an assumption that does not conform to my viewing habits. If I had a 16:9 display I guess it would.

I chose the OTA only stb because my ' good' cable reception is very good and I have not seen DBS reception that matches the good stuff.

Tom

·
Registered
99 Posts
Quote:
..I 've noticed too that most stations do send out a widescreen image with the sd picture in the middle. i do prefer it to the grey bars of the samsung.
You can change between black & gray bars on the Samsung

(but not any of those broadcast by the TV stations)

See this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=28368

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the additional replies...the sony remote sounds intriguing. $40 bucks seems like a great price for a fully programmable remote.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Here are a few other discussion threads I found in this forum on the Sir T150 that cover a lot of information (and recent history) about it:

Samsung SIR-T150 problems
Samsung SIR-T150 STB Upgrade?
Samsung T150 Update Problems
Samsung SIR-T150 getting choppy audio
Problem Updating Samsung SIR-T150 to 1.63
Samsung SIRT-150 black vs. gray bars

Note that some of the problems discussed early on in these threads were fixed by the downloadable software upgrades discussed later on.

I upgraded my own unit to the 1.63 version and have been very pleased with the tuner ever since.

You can determine the version of your tuner by going to "Menu", making sure "Help" is 'on' and pressing the "Display" button on the remote. The upgrade has been available by email from a Samsung rep (Steve Panosian [email protected] ) mentioned in the threads above. For the moment I also have posted both the 1.6 and 1.63 versions on my meager web page, http://members.telocity.com/~rmears with some updated instructions. The update ran fine from my Windows-ME machine even though earlier instructions said you needed Windows 95 or DOS.

The 1.63 upgrade fixed the choppy audio problem for me, and it changed the previously very annoying behavior of the screen mode/stretch (I use a 4:3 HD TV monitor) as follows:
  • I set screen mode to ZOOM while viewing a widescreen channel - this "unsquishes" the picture. You lose the left & right edges of a widescreen picture, but people look normal instead of super thin. Shows are usually framed for the center area anyway. Any HD stations showing standard TV pictures pillar-boxed in the middle will show properly restored to full 4:3 screen, losing the black pillar bars on the sides.
  • Change channels to a 4:3 SD program channel, the screen mode automatically switches to FULL, so the 4:3 picture matches the 4:3 display correctly.
  • Changing back to a widescreen channel, the screen mode remembers to go back to ZOOM (as set in the first step above). So you never see either squished widescreen pictures or standard pictures pillar-boxed on HD/wide channels. The OLD behavior before the upgrade from version 1.6 to 1.63 was that it would ALWAYS switch back to FULL mode with every channel change, always returning to a squished and/or pillar-boxed picture for all HD channels --only the SD channels would look correct.

In other words, after the upgrade it separately remembers your preferred display method for each of the widescreen and standard 4:3 channel signals being broadcast.

The upgrade gives similar improved behavior for 16:9 displays, switching between FULL to display a widescreen show properly on your widescreen TV, and for a standard 4:3 program, your preference of Pillar-boxed, FULL (stretched wide), or Zoomed (enlarged to fill the screen but clipping the top & bottom of the picture some).

Still, if the station is pillar-boxing a widescreen signal, that's what you get on your widescreen tv unless your tv provides some sort of picture zoom. The tuner does allow one other odd mode: pillar-boxing a widescreen program, which seems pointless, but maybe it's useful somehow.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am Kind of happy with it? V1.6 6/15/2000

Choppy audio occasionally. scanning channels or playing with Mts and caption button fixes it sometimes.

Picture no audio. Same fix as above.

While implementing fix above I got the reported display button jitters and stuttering and frozen screen and no display etc;big time. Spent an hour or more with power button etc trying to fix it. No help. While I was looking for this site it seems to have fixed itself.

Do I bother with the 1.63 upgrade or take it back? It is less than 12 hours old.

Thanks Bruce

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My stb came with V1.7 dated 8/?/01. Not sure where this version fits in with all the others, but I have had no problems with choppy audio, etc...

If I understand the other threads correctly, 1.63 is supposed to be the fix for the choppy audio. you may want to give it a shot, assuming that if it doesn't solve the problem, you can still return the stb.

For what it's worth, I purchased my stb from jandr.com. so if you decide to return it, you can get a more recent model from them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes I think that I will upgrade firmware. But I might see if I can get newer download from samsung. Hopefully my Sony camera cable works. Does your STB lose its aspect ratio everytime you change channel?

Bruce

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Does your STB lose its aspect ratio everytime you change channel?

no, the aspect ratio does not change when i change the channel

·
Premium Member
4,986 Posts
Another review that supports my SIR-T150 purchase...

http://www.projectorexpert.com/pages/8vsb.htm

I chose the T150 specifically because it did not include a sattelite tuner. I want to be able to upgrade the software. How do owners of sattellite units upgrade without a dish?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quote:
My stb came with V1.7 dated 8/?/01. Not sure where this version fits in with all the others, but I have had no problems with choppy audio, etc...

FYI, I spoke with Steve at Samsung and the V1.7 is simply a different label for the same V1.63.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just started to get real critical and noticed a small region of artiacts between the top letter box stripe and the picture when displaying 480i 0r 480p on my 4:3 sony. It is only a few lines wide and runs completely accross the screen. It reminds me of the old bar that would roll on older tv sets. I can not see enough of it to tell what it is. It is very annoying. It has grey, white and black regions in it; so it not something that belongs there. Does anyone else have this problem?

Bruce

·
Registered
8 Posts
brucebem,

I have this STB and I run it in 480P. About a month ago I reported a problem with seeing gray/white lines along the left side of the 4:3 image while watching SD broadcasts.

I wrote this up in a prior post, go to this thread

I'll leave my FTP server up tonight (10/30/01) in hopes you see this. I'm interested if you are having the same problem as I am. I was told to send my unit in for repair as nobody else has reported this problem.

Mike

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi

I am sorry but I am calling it a night. I will look at the artifact problem tommorrow.I spent most of the afternoon

installing v1.63. Here is a hint for WinME( more junk from Bill ).

Start your computer in Safe Mode. You will get warning signs after you start the procedure about possible corruption. Since I back my PC up to an offline hard drive; I went for it and it worked.

Yours may not. Getting the new software to run was an experience. 2 downloads: 20 reboots etc: it finally decided to work: on its own : nothing I did. I think Sansumg has a ton of bugs hiding in this and I think and they should be recalling old versions from the shelves. Also: would it be to much to ask to just let us type in a channel hit + key and be done with it. If the antenna isn't aimed right or there is no local channel; let us figure it out. Next software version?

Bruce

·
Registered
15 Posts
The v1.63 upgrade may or may not have fixed the artifact problem. Can't recreate them. But I can recreate the freeze frame and the stutter problem. Now it is on the menu key. Not as frequent and it seems to go away on its own. This baby is going back to Sears. I will wait untill Samsung or someone else gets it right. Esp with Dish buying Dirct TV. Who know what dtv and hdtv will look like in a year.

Bruce

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.