AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow. I just bought a Panasonic TH-42PC77U from Costco. The picture is amazing, especially compared to my old, 7-year-old Philips 25 inch regular TV. I am new to HDTV so I have a couple of basic questions. I would appreciate your help.

The default setting was Vivid. It was a little overpowering. What is the best way to calibrate the video? Are there any custom settings that you have found to work well with this model of HDTV?

Are there any precautions that I should take since the HDTV is new? How careful do I need to be with images that stay the same such as station logos and black/grey bars on the sides of the picture? The only feedback I read in the manual is not to display the side bars for "an extended period", but it does not define "an extended period" of time.

Thanks for you help.

-Rob

·
Registered
959 Posts
Check out the big thread in the top section of this board for loads of peoples' settings and suggestions. Yes it's a chore to slog through the 170+ pages but it's all there.

It'd be a good idea to change your settings to the standard picture mode and reduce the Picture setting (contrast) down to 0 or even -10 or -15. Panasonic recommends you do this for the first ~100 hours. It will look way dimmer, but you'll quickly get used to it and then you'll get to have that "ah ha!" moment again in the future when you turn it back up

I just got the 50PC77U on Friday. I applied those reduced settings and have been watching TV, playing Xbox 360, and now have watched a movie with letterboxing and haven't seen any image retention or anything. So I'm basically just using the TV normally. You may want to apply one of the stretch modes if you're watching letterbox or pillar box stuff if everything you watch has it.

jeff

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jeff,

Thanks. I did not realize that I had to turn the picture setting down. It will be a pain having to wait, but I want to protect the TV as much as I can.

Thanks for pointing me to those thread on the top of the board. I'll start reading through it.

-Rob

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROJ /forum/post/12944357

Wow. I just bought a Panasonic TH-42PC77U....

The default setting was Vivid. It was a little overpowering. What is the best way to calibrate the video? Are there any custom settings that you have found to work well with this model of HDTV?

Vivid is pretty much only for use by retail stores to give the TV a lot of artificial pop in a bright showroom setting. You should not use Vivid except for mayby for watching TV when your room is very very brightly lit (sunlight or room lighting etc).

Several people have posted their settings in the master PX75U thread above so search that threads for keywords like SETTING or TINT. In the meantime, a few PX75U guys as well as my friend with a 42PX77U used my older-model TH-42PX50 settings as a starting point, so maybe they will get you close and you can tweak it from there:

Picture Mode: STANDARD

Picture: +25

Bright: -3

Color: -2

Tint: 0

Sharp: -10

Color Temp: Normal

Color Mgmt: Off

Video NR: Off

Color Matrix: SD (locked on SD channels)

MPEG NR: Off

Black Level: Light

Quote:
Are there any precautions that I should take since the HDTV is new? How careful do I need to be with images that stay the same such as station logos and black/grey bars on the sides of the picture? The only feedback I read in the manual is not to display the side bars for "an extended period", but it does not define "an extended period" of time.

Looks like you already know that logos and bars can be a problem, but now these new Panasonics are very resistant to IR and burn-in, much moreso than previous models were. But if you're really worried about it, just avoid the black bars and logos and tickers etc during the first 100-200 hours as much as possible. You don't have to avoid them completely just limit it to a small percentage of your viewing and continue this practice throughout the rest of the life of the TV.

I didn't break-in my PZ700U in the usual manner, what i did right off the bat was set up a STANDARD mode with normal high Picture settings and just watched it and enjoyed it, using the higher Picture setting to excersise the phosphors. I did avoid black bars and logos as much as possible but i was a bad boy a few days after i got the TV. I watched over 4 straight hours of Speedchannel sportscar racing in 4:3 mode with black sidebars then when it was over, i switched to an HD program and looked for black-bar IR and i could clearly see where the bars were, but i was shocked to see them literally fade away within about 10 seconds and disappear completely, leaving no evidence that there were any black bars there. I was amazed !

But for actual break in sessions, i set up a CUSTOM mode pretty much using my STANDARD settings with the exception that i set the PICTURE and BRIGHTNESS settings down closer to zero and ran that overnight or while i was at work. I did this for about 150 hours or so then from then on i've just been watching it normally with pretty high settings.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Randy,

Thanks for the advice. I am glad to hear that burn in should not be a problem, especially if I am careful. I have waited a long time for an HDTV so I can wait a little longer to allow for a break in period. I definately appreciate receiving your settings,however. Once the break in period is over, I'll use the settings that you recommended as a starting point.

I am still amazed at how good the TV looks, even with the video settings set to zero. I am very happy with TV.

-Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts