Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
This is a great camera! Slightly larger than I would like, but no fuss with interchangeable lenses, decently large sensor, 4Kp60 using regular SD cards... all for pretty much the same price as the DVX100 of yore (I think it started from $4300 or maybe it was $4700 ?)

I would not mind trading a bit shorter zoom to constant lens speed though... If Sony could do constant F2.8 with 8x zoom on the RX10, I would expect same speed with 10x zoom on a pro cam should have been possible.

But by saying "predecessor" they dismissed both the HVX200 and HMC150 as some boring side developments...

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The lens being part of the camera and not removable is a bit of a shame because it would have been extremely awesome being able to put a much faster lens on for times that your shooting indoors. On the other hand, making the lens be attachable would make make the overall size of the camera slightly bigger. Catch 22 situation but most people probably would have preferred the slightly bigger size if it means they'd be able to change out lenses.

I wouldn't mind owning this camera or any other camera that can shoot 4K 60p. This camera would be perfect for the kind of video gigs that I sometimes get.

A big question mark will be the codec. I don't know if all the codec details were mentioned yet. It would awesome if it shoots 4K internally at a bare minimum of 10 bit and 422. Another question mark is the price tag. It seams a bit on the expensive side if it's something like $4,999 but on the other hand, the Sony AX1 costs $4,500! and it has a chip size similar to what you'd find in their consumer AX33 camcorder. The 10 bit version, the Z100 is $5,500!

I do wonder if Panasonic will be making a more expensive version with interchangeable lenses and 10 bit. It'll seam like it if the DVX200 ends up only shooting 8 bit internally.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
With Blackmagic and Panasonic advancing the 4k60p agenda, I hope we see some commensurate advances in 4k60p work flows. For while 4k60p is clearly more impressive than interpolated 4k30p playback, it presents demands. For example, my Samsung 4k television plays 4k60p from the USB, but only if it's encoded h.265 HEVC. It will not play 4k h.264 at 60p. On the other hand, x265 makes an extraordinary quality render from 4k60p shot with my PWM-F55, but a 4 minute render takes 3 hours on the 'fast' preset. I've tested playback up to 100 mbps on the Samsung; it is utterly smooth and devoid of stutter or strobing, makes panning easy or you can slow it down in post for impressive 4K slo-mo, and encodes and plays back with AAC 5.1 multichannel surround audio, but no chapter skips, not even fast forwarding is possible on the Samsung at this time. You can pause, resume or restart, but not scroll forward or backward. Maybe Power Director has something to contribute here, or 2015 Samsung or other UHDTVs. In spite of the challenges, 4k60p is really stunning for those who like an uber-reality look, this is it.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Yeah, 50/60p no doubt has been great looking for a while at 1080p. I can't wait to have a portable camcorder that can do decent 4K/50,60p. But man that new Panasonic looks like someone higher up at the company has been so obsessed with the Red camera look but not sure how to go about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts