AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'd like to get input on whether to buy a used JVC RS1 or a new Panasonic AE-4000U.

From a price perspective, once I factor in a new bulb for the JVC (about 600 hrs on the existing unit I looking at) the price of the JVC would be slightly cheaper.

The room where the projector will be will have some light control but I'd probably watch the projector 30% during the day and 70% at night. Screen size would by 106" (Elite Cinetension 2) and seating distance is about 12 feet. The projector would be recessed / housed in the soffit so vertical lens shift is very important.

My concern about the JVC is that it's about 3 years (old technology?) and the lumens rating is so much higher in the Panasonic (700 vs 1600) but I also know that the JVC units are highly regarded.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Be sure you read about the calibrated lumens of the AE-4000 in best mode. I have not seen the RS1 but from what I have read it is a very nice projector.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
That is a tough call.

My brother-in-law actually demo'd these two against each other. The JVC had a few hundred on the lamp already.

He chose the AE4000 out of the two. Brightness seemed a toss up, blacks still went to the JVC, Color accuracy went to the Pannasonic. Neither was really calibrated, we just tweeked them some color wise. I'm not sure exactly how to define pop, but in some scenes the pop was better on the JVC while other scenes the pop seemed better on the Panny so we called that a toss up as well.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
I think some reviews I read said the Panny for 2k was more or less the equivalent of the RS1, minus blacks, but with custom controls and the price the 4000 is a no brainer. IIRC the review claimed for 2k dollars the 4000 is the equal to the 6k dollar JVC, but increasingly better technology and price drops are working in our favor.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Vertical shift is better on the Panny I think. Besides, you can't beat it for features. Might I suggest dual screens? The panny can mange that no problem!

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
COME ON AE4000... KEEP DRIVING DOWN THOSE USED RS1 PRICES!!!!!!!!!!!!

If i see one for a grand, i'll buy it instantly.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I think that one of the biggest reasons for the 4000 is the lens memory. Part of the decision should come down to if you want a 2.35 screen.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
There is also FI on the AE4000. It makes a good bit of difference on animation and video based content. I acually use it on everything now, but I know some prefer it off on movies.

Don't think you can go wrong with either choice though.

Art

1 - 8 of 8 Posts