Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres a weird one...

Got a catalog in the mail from Panasonic (11-7) today. It shows a DVD-CP71, 5 disc changer.

VIDEO

54MHz/10-bit Video D/A

Picture Control

Switchable Component Video out (480p/480i)

Still Picture Display (I/P/B)

Auto Switching Field/Frame Still

Black Level Control

AUDIO

192kHz/24-bit Audio D/A

DTS & DD5.1

Dynamic Range Compression

ENHANCED FEATURES (?)

Advanced Surround (V.S.S.)

Cinema Mode

Dialogue Enhancer

CONVENIENCE FEATURES

CD-R/RW

Twin Laser

Disc Stabilizer Hi-Speed smooth Motion Scan 5 Speed up to x100

Joystick Remote

Energy Star Rating

Things missing compared to others:

Audio only Function (Video Circuit OFF) - ala RP-91

Gamma Correction - ala RP-91

Mosquito/Block/3D Digital Noise Reduction (?) - ala RP-91

Dual Digital Audio Out (optical/coaxial) - ala RP-91

12-bit Video D/A - ala RP-91 and H2000

2 Dimensional Sharpening Filter - ala 91 & 2000

3-Mode Digital Re-Master Processing for CD/DA - - ala 91 - no clue here..

Text Display - ala 91 & 2000

Anyone heard of this one? Seen one? I checked their web site but saw no sign of it. The catalog also lists the RV-31, RV-41, RP-56, RV-45, CV-51, RP-91, and H2000, most of which I have at least heard of, and seem to be current. A quick glance to Sage's web site still only lists the RP-56 as the only Panny using DCDI. Anyone got anything more current, or am I ahead of the curve for a change? I also compared to the Denon 4800, and all I can say is that they are both DEFINITELY DVD changers!

Ideas? Something new?

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
What a disapointment you called a measley 5 disc a 'changer', I on the other hand think changers start at 200 DVD. I have 2 a 200 and a 300 movies in one DVP. I have no ambition to go back to the sand box, now that I have 300 to choose from. All without storage, breakage, dust or other snafus to worry about, when that door seals it stops all the nasty stuff from happening.

·
Registered
363 Posts
That they actaully built and have shipped 61's in Canada. They were available from Sears about a week or so ago. A person on HTF purchased one...

Miles

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
A good 5 disc progressive player would be nice. Looks like I'll keep on waiting and keep using my CV51.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I spoke with a Panasonic dealer Friday. He tells me that the CP-71 should be available about now. He swears that the Panny rep was in just a week ago, and said this player would be available shortly. Could be bunk, but I told him to get me one in nonetheless. We'll see soon. He said it should take about a week. I'll keep things updated as they go along.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK....False Alarm.....it was a dud!

Panasonic rep confirms to my dealer that the CP-71 was killed.

In fact Panasonic has killed 6 out of the 10 DVD players in their current catalog, and most never shipped.

What gives with that? Seems like pretty lousy Marketing when 60% of a given product line never gets to the market. For making such great players, they sure seem to have trouble planning and hitting the mark from a Product Management standpoint.

Also, the Panny PM says a new high end changer based on the RP-91 will be out by the end of the 1st quarter. By my guess this really means the end of April. Of course no further details were available, but there could be an announcement at CES. Of course can we trust any announcement at CES given their performance from the last CES and the above cancellations? Oops, changed our mind.....:confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.