AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My new Panasonic TC-P50S30 was delivered two days ago and I'm not at all happy with the picture quality. The picture quality is what I would describe as dull, hazy and slightly unclear. I had a Panasonic 720p plasma a few years ago and it was much clearer than this. I'd say this Panasonic has about 80% the quality of my old 720p, so something is wrong. The floor model at best buy was better than mine, but they are running a Bluray.

The quality of the images of the SD card is not impressive at all either. This feature isn't that important to me, just thought I'd mention it.

I've spent many hours trying various suggested calibrations, but I see no hope that this tv will produce a sharp picture. I even went to Comcast yesterday to switch out the HD box to see if that would make a difference.

I'm very surprised and disappointed. Has anyone had or read of a similar experience? Any suggestions?

Thank you!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Last year I returned my entry level C550(I think) Samsung 50" for a 50S2 Panasonic because everyone and their dog was talking about how great Panasonic plasmas were. I posted on numerous sites asking people Samsung C550 vs. S2 and almost everyone said S2.

Anyways, I got the S2 home expecting to see a great improvement in PQ but I was so terribly disappointed in the PQ. I almost immediately unplugged it and took it back. The picture was, as you stated, VERY hazy. The blacks were GRAY. About as gray as a Insignia LCD. The picture had so much digital noise and 'fuzziness' to it, the picture did not look to be at the slightest bit HD quality. I popped in Spiderman on Blu ray and the picture was horrendous. I was so disappointed that I returned the TV that night and got my old Samsung back.

One of my great friends is the supervisor over at my local BB and he came over and agreed as well that the PQ was unacceptable and told me he would even help me load it up and take it back. He and the other home theater employees kept telling me that I must have just gotten a 'lemon' and a non-defective S2 looks great. From that point on I was convinced that my fellow forum mates HAD to be blind and Panasonic must be brainwashing people into thinking they have the superior product, because there is no way anyone could have though that TV had a good PQ.

Now that I look back, I bet you it was just a defective TV. I swore to myself that I would never pick up another Panasonic product after that incident, but after seeing the VT30, I will be trading my C7000 plasma for it. It sounds to me like you have a similar problem and I would maybe take yours back and get another ST30 just to be sure.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempulse /forum/post/20840515

I bet you it was just a defective TV. I swore to myself that I would never pick up another Panasonic product after that incident, but after seeing the VT30, I will be trading my C7000 plasma for the it. It sounds to me like you have a similar problem and I would maybe take yours back and get another ST30 just to be sure.

Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer

Those days of soda and pretzels and beer

Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer

Return your set and sing a song of cheer!

Ian

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I will be blunt the S30 (and last year's S2) are pretty terrible. They had/have a very "milky" looking image, and I've never liked either one. I don't know if the set you received is just defective, or it's just that the picture quality is bad. If I were you, however, I would just exchange it for an 50ST30. The cost difference shouldn't be too great and you'l have a much, much better TV.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have a 65 S2 and no matter what I do its awful with HD movies, no sharpness at all and it does have a milky picture feel to it. If I could get rid of it at a decent price I would but with today economy no one has free cash. Let me tell you retailers are dying for people to buy top end HDTVs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.