AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a new ED 42" Panney and I'm loving it! This forum has been a great source of information, so thanks to all who have contributed.

Now that I have a great display, I wonder if my DVD player can be improved. I have an Akai progressive scan machine that I picked up a Sam's Club last year. To me, it looks great on the new plasma. But I have no experience with the output of better DVD players, so I don't know if I'm missing something.

So, what kind of improvements in PQ or AQ can I expect from a better player?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
RP-82 is a great match for the ed panny plasma...that's what I'm currently using, and snatched one (rp82) up in december, right after I purchased my panel.

They're hard to find, but worth the search. Alternatively, the RP-91 is a great choice as well (more $$$), as are the panny XP30/50 players. Check out the dvd forum for more info on these players...

Rich

·
Registered
764 Posts
I wouldn't expect a huge difference -- I'd say buy a test machine from someplace with a no-questions-asked return policy, bring it home & do some comparison tests and see what you think.

Personally, I'm still using my 480i DVD and think my Panny's doing a great job of deinterlacing. I'm saving my money for now by not buying a 480p and instead hoping that DVD-HD without HDCP will soon be available.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brucer
Vist the DVD Hardware Forum for more info.
Only if you are looking for advice to look for extinct Panny players!!

:)

BEST BET for you is to get a player you can TEST and return with no penalty. I learned the HARD way that no 2 DVD players are created equally. I had been spoiled for years by only having Toshiba players, and tried:

Denon 1600: didn't like, Edgy image, NO options (irregardless of rave reviews)

JVC 600: too quirky - nice film picture, horrible video picture

Sony dont remember model# - OK picture, not really different than old Tosh.

Good, subjective infor on DVD players is impossible to come by. Try to try before you buy!!!

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Panasonic XP-30 or XP-50 (the latter adds DVD-A) if you want something like those Panasonic's above that is currently being built.

I got an XP-30 recently for $199. Nice player, great picture.

Mark

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
see?

;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Riceowl68
I have an Akai progressive scan machine that I picked up a Sam's Club last year. To me, it looks great on the new plasma.
Looks like you answered your own question. Enjoy your new Panny for a while and, in the meantime, try feeding it non-progressive signals via component, composite, and s-video inputs. If you can't tell the difference you probably don't need a new DVD player. I recently moved my progressive scan Sony and the 3 foot component cables won't reach, so I hooked it up to the composite input and DVDs look great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.