AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone...I just got my Panny 47wx49 over the weekend, and tweaked it just a little(killed the red push), but according to the known tweaks at Brett's Panny site, the brightness should be set to 31 or less in the user settings. For me, I see details well around 38 or so(this is for my Denon 1600 dvd player), but I want to avoid burn in. Any ideas? Is this too bright - ie. am I gonna have burn in problems? Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi LynnJ

I'm no expert but brightness controls black level which allows you to see the detail in dark scenes. Contrast is what you want to be low in order to avoid burn-in. This controls the white level and its' intensity. I'm gonna quote Mr. Bob on the issues of burn-in:

"As far as screenburn goes, NO EXTENDED-TIME FIXED IMAGES. EVER. No MSNBC, no FOX, no fixed-image/border video games, no ticker tape reports burning that band into your phosphors. You'll have your hands full, probably, just keeping the black/grey bands from being seen on your screen while bright and white images are there after awhile, due to the mixing of standardized aspect ratios in this crossover era between NTSC and HDTV.

If you absolutely have to have fixed images up there for any length of time, turn your contrast low for the duration, and save the bright images for when you're watching something really spectacular. I even keep my contrast low when I watch Jay Leno's monologue every night, turning it up for the better parts of the program. Brightness is not the bugaboo on burn-in, Contrast is. Brightness, a misnomer, controls the background darks; Contrast controls the foreground bright areas."

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Yes, it is too bright. Mine is at 27 (so is brightness). Going over 30 is risky if you ever watch channels with logos or borders. BAD BAD BAD.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Come on! You guys are saying that these CRTs are so damn sensitive that you can get burn-in in a couple of hours of watching CNN - or the Jay Leno monologue, for God's sake? What do you do when you're watching a movie and the director used a locked-down camera angle for a couple of minutes - grab the remote and turn down the contrast? That's crazy!

I remember somebody here saying a while back that his roommate left his RPTV on all night displaying "VIDEO1" or whatever in the corner and there was no noticeable wear whatsoever. Now, if that didn't burn the green CRT noticeably, then certainly watching CNN for a few hours once in awhile with contrast at a reasonable setting isn't going to hurt.

The only bad burns I've ever seen were caused by computer graphics or something that was displayed for *hundreds* of hours in exactly the same spot. If these CRTs were so sensitive that the CNN logo would burn in the corner of the screen, then what are we doing to them when we spend an hour or two (or a lot more) converging the set with a bright white grid on the screen? I've never once seen a rear-projection TV with any kind of station ID logo or anything burnt in the corner.

Do think this concern might be a tad overblown? Just askin'.

SC

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I'm not saying a couple of hours. But six or seven hours of gray bar mode or CNN a week WILL burn in your set after a while, if you are not bloody careful. Some have reported gray bar burnin after just four weeks, despite contrast settings that are about in the middle. Granted, they watched 70% Gray Bar mode material, but that still shows you how dangerous static images are.

I look forward to a day and age when we no longer have to worry about this kind of crap.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just reading over at Brett's Panny site that you cannot adjust the contrast on a 480p in service mode unless you have a 1080i signal, as the two are joined at the hip. That frickin SUCKS! So, when I watch progressive DVD's, how am I to get the level of detail I want if I can't adjust 480p contrast in service mode? Up the user brightness and "picture" setting? Is the picture setting just contrast in the user settings? I pretty much only watch progressive dvd's now. I may watch a little Sport's Center, HBO, and Survivor, but that's about it. Sorry for being such a newbie here, but I don't wanna destroy my brand new set, but I don't think I shouldn't get the benefit of its abilities either. I wanna see details too, along with a real black. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
If your DVD player has picture adjustments, you can compensate. Thankfully, I have a 1080i DISH 600 receiver, so I can do it all. :)

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

just add a dot tv behind the name.

regards

·
Registered
13,771 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
My son lives close to Raleigh NC and can get a Panny 47 for $1495. He just called me and is ready to pull the triger. I would like to hear from you that have it. Forget the price, is the TV ok.

Thanks

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
There are positive posts about this set all over this forum. Fear not. It's a great set and that is an outstanding price. I do, however, recommend an extended service plan, if one can be had for less than $300.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ecrabb
Come on! You guys are saying that these CRTs are so damn sensitive that you can get burn-in in a couple of hours of watching CNN - or the Jay Leno monologue, for God's sake?

Do think this concern might be a tad overblown? Just askin'.

SC
I dont know if its overblown or not for myself I am very careful. I'm only posting so I can show you all a picture I found on another website of some serious burn in. From what I could gather this guy recievd this set through an online dealer and it was sold to him as new.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/eviltool3...c=ph%26.view=t

BTW is there another way to post pictures other than that really long link thanks...

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Cannot get that link to work

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.