AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I actually got a 58-PZ700U in March, and I love it!! But at the time, I was torn because I knew the 80-800 series panels were on the way & I might have an "old" panel & get buyer's remorse.

Boy, was I wrong...and boy, am I glad I didn't wait!!

Not only are the 58" 700/750 sets selling for the same price I paid...or MORE, but I still haven't seen squat about when the 80/800 series are coming in the 58" size.

I'm not here to gloat or anything, but rather to ask, what the #%$& is up with Panasonic? How on earth could their be such a lag between the release of the new 42-50" sets & the more expensive (and probby higher margin), 58-60" market? They've never had this before...the 700/750 stuff came out at the same time across the size-spectrum. And it's not like Pioneer, where fabrication for the next-gen lineup iis switching to other facilities...Panny's got everything they need to crank out big panels in-house, so what gives?

I have a buddy who loves my set & I told him months ago to wait, as new/better panels were coming & he could then choose one of them or maybe the price on mine would be discounted.

Can anyone explain why this went down this way, and maybe tell me/us when the new 58" options will be shipping?

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Panasonic has never been on the leading edge and has been behind in providing new enhancements to their products. Until last year there was a 2 year gap where they had done nothing to improve their PQ. It took them forever to even change the bezel color from that terrible silver color. They lived on their reputation and saved tons on R&D. Only with the current generation have they become proactive again. So, why should your observations surprise you?

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
This is a great question to their marketing team. However, I will say that it may not be best decision on their part, but the anticipation and the price will be waiting for. It should be priced similar to the 58PZ700U/750U. With that said they still may outsell their competition...

Chris

·
Registered
1,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/14289624

Panasonic has never been on the leading edge and has been behind in providing new enhancements to their products. Until last year there was a 2 year gap where they had done nothing to improve their PQ. It took them forever to even change the bezel color from that terrible silver color. They lived on their reputation and saved tons on R&D. Only with the current generation have they become proactive again. So, why should your observations surprise you?

Why are you hanging out here when plenty of other Samsung fanboys have questions needed answered?

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM /forum/post/14291591

Why are you hanging out here when plenty of other Samsung fanboys have questions needed answered?

Be nice. If you want to discuss the validity of my argument then fine, but keep the insults to yourself.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Working at a B&M I can say this isn't going to really affect Panasonic as much as you would think. Last year when the 58" was released late, Consumer Reports did a review basically along with the TV's release to give it a rave review. Some other brands (Hitachi) do not have such luck as to have a major decision in almost every average household's television written up immediately in the people's product bible.

Yes... tons of people still eat, sleep, and breath consumer reports to us.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I know they lost at least 1 customer....me! I got the LG 60PG70 instead. Releasing them late in the year when everybody else released theirs already is just not smart.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts