I have this now, and suddenly last night it seems my vid card is having issues

e8400 stock

asus p5q

8gig mushkin

xfx 4890 xxx 1gig

titanium xifi

raid1 sata drives

650watt Antec

also have 750watt Silverstone Zeus PS but it doesn't have a 8pin pciie only four 6 pins which is why I took it out when i got the 4890 in 2009.

This machine is connected to two plasma's, epson 8700us, all hdmi and obviously my PC monitors via dvi.

1080p is my key res.

Multimonitor support is important to me. It's a htpc mostly, but I want to get back into PC gaming more and more with the cool games coming out.

I'm thinking intel 2600k. Asus p867 pro or deluxe. I want at least 12gig ram but most packs I see are 3 x 4gig leaving one slot free....does that matter anymore not having everything in pairs or should i just jump to 16 gig? Not sure what ram to get...mushkin again, Corsair?

Then there's the video card. I usually just buy whatever best deal there is. Not a fanboi of either camp, but my last 3 cards have been ATI. Before that all Nvidia.

How is Nvidia for hdmi to TV and Projectors now? Multimonitor support?

I'm thinking evga 570hd or 580. I want sli/crossfire board this time for sure. I'll add the second vid card later and probably a PSU as well if I need it for two cards. I have to keep the 6pin and 8pin in mind if I decide I need to switch to the 750watt PS.

So, AMD ir Nvidia these days?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
If you're planning on going SLI you'll need more than 750. I run my gtx580 to a tv. My psu is 750. It takes one 8 pin and one 6 pin if I remember correctly. Audio and video go out to the receiver via HDMI.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony
Really depends on how many monitors you need, and which games you play. The Nvidia cards will run 2 monitors, the AMD cards anywhere from 3-6.
I don't need eyefinity or surround yet. Only have two monitors on my desk. So only need the ability to display two at once...be it LCD in my office at same time as plasma in another room, so that should be fine there with any card these days.

I just read up on the two techs from amd and nvidia so I have a better idea now. Just need to decide whether to go with 6970 or 570 and add a second later. Or just bite the bullet now and get a 580....and add another later....as well as uprgade PS later of course.

How much of a difference is there really with a 580 is the question...

edit:

xfx is replacing my vid card. Just need to send it off. What I get back .... I don't know. XFX was pretty cool about it all, impressed me. So i think I'll just get new mobo, ram and cpu now, wait and see what GPU Xfx sends me back, then decide on video card

I just need to decide on which asus mobo....the 67 or 68

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3
I don't need eyefinity or surround yet. Only have two monitors on my desk. So only need the ability to display two at once...be it LCD in my office at same time as plasma in another room, so that should be fine there with any card these days.

I just read up on the two techs from amd and nvidia so I have a better idea now. Just need to decide whether to go with 6970 or 570 and add a second later. Or just bite the bullet now and get a 580....and add another later....as well as uprgade PS later of course.

How much of a difference is there really with a 580 is the question...

edit:

xfx is replacing my vid card. Just need to send it off. What I get back .... I don't know. XFX was pretty cool about it all, impressed me. So i think I'll just get new mobo, ram and cpu now, wait and see what GPU Xfx sends me back, then decide on video card

I just need to decide on which asus mobo....the 67 or 68
I'd go with the asrock pro extreme 4.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i went with the asus z68 pro. i7 2600k, 16gig corsair blue veng, Corsair 650d case. I was torn on the case as I have always went with Antec in the past....10 yrs or more for sure. But My last case, p182, it just drives me nuts. Too tight, not tool less, not even thumbsccrews for anything. It's quiet I'll give it that, but I liked my p160 before that tons better, was better built. Antec seems to have cheapened a bit over the years.

Next I choose vid card...next month.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 /forum/post/0

I'm strongly leaning towards the 580

It's an awesome card I bought the 570 originally. I the decided to jump on the 580. It made a big difference with the FFA drags.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr /forum/post/20788872

I agree... x 3, TriSLI that is

I just got my third evga 580 a few days ago for $422 from directcanada.com

Not sure if it's gonna go into the upstairs rig or go tri-sli in my main rig hummmm
I love these kind of problems

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG /forum/post/20789496

I just got my third evga 580 a few days ago for $422 from directcanada.com

Not sure if it's gonna go into the upstairs rig or go tri-sli in my main rig hummmm
I love these kind of problems

what are you running for a power supply, and what which evga 580?

·
Registered
8,402 Posts

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have an issue with this build.

I have been waiting for a video card to show up since building this new machine a few weeks ago. I had to rma one weeks back to xfx. I've been using the onboard one mostly while waiting.

It's a Asus p8z68v-pro.

Intel i7 2600k all stock, nothing overclocked. I never overclock new machines, not until i know it's stable.

Corsair Veng Blue 16gig

Enermax Rev 920W Power Supply

also raiding my drives in a mirror.

Here's the thing. I can't get any video card working in slot 1 and 2. I have a 4850 and a 4890. If I put either one in the 3rd black slot, it works. I can even do multimonitor setup with the onboard video on as well.

I've learned that this board has a pretty bad limitation. If you run the 3rd pcie slot in x4 or Auto, you actually disable some of the other slots and even usb3 and some onboard stuff. So, you can't have all the slots in use and expect those features to work. I REALLY wish I knew that before buying it. Is there an asus z68 board without this limitation?

But, no matter what I set that setting at, auto, x4, x1, no video card will work in the 1st slot or 2nd.

Am I missing something silly? Do I have a bad board?

Yes I have the PCIE set as first boot gpu, and yes all 6pin pcie power cables are in, and I tried another power supply as well.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
LOL, that sucks!! I just had my forte sound card crap the bucket. Man does onboard sound suck!!!!!!!!! Good thing auzentech is sending me another one free of charge and I don't even have to send mine back to them first! nice!

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Let me guess, your forte was just a year old? Seems common

Anyways, get this, the very slot on my mobo that the two working ATI cards did NOT work in...pcie1, the 580 works just fine. If I stick either the 4850 or 4890 back in....doesn't work.

Guess my mobo is on the green team.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.