AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to get a new PCIe HDTV card after a motherboard upgrade which blocked all but one of my PCI slots. I have the PCI version of the FusionHDTV 5 Gold and have been very happy with it (except for the channel mapping). I was originally looking at the new FusionHDTV 7 dual tuner in PCIe, but I'm not quite ready to spend $130+ for one.

Looking around I see cheaper products from Haupauge and Avermedia. The HD Duet has the dual digital tuner (1 antenna connector) which I like and looks very similar to the FusionHDTV 7.

It's been a while since I bought a new card and was wondering how the quality is on these sub $70 cards. I'm going to hook the card up to Comcast cable so signal strength isn't a big deal. I'm used to the FusionHDTV software application, but so long as I can reasonably tune channels and the result has a good picture quality (FusionHDTV has the option of selecting an external MPEG2 decoder like from your Cyberlink player). I also need the ability to record the native transport stream and FusionHDTV provided an XVID convertor (free so I'm not complaining). How is the quality of the silicon tuners and do they switch slower?

Has anyone had a FusionHDTV card and bought one of the cheaper/newer cards from Haupauge and Avermedia?

Any suggestion for freeware/3rd party windows software (64bit) that can display and record HDTV better than the budled software applications?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsilicon /forum/post/18302578

I have to get a new PCIe HDTV card after a motherboard upgrade which blocked all but one of my PCI slots. I have the PCI version of the FusionHDTV 5 Gold and have been very happy with it (except for the channel mapping). I was originally looking at the new FusionHDTV 7 dual tuner in PCIe, but I'm not quite ready to spend $130+ for one.

Looking around I see cheaper products from Haupauge and Avermedia. The HD Duet has the dual digital tuner (1 antenna connector) which I like and looks very similar to the FusionHDTV 7.

It's been a while since I bought a new card and was wondering how the quality is on these sub $70 cards. I'm going to hook the card up to Comcast cable so signal strength isn't a big deal. I'm used to the FusionHDTV software application, but so long as I can reasonably tune channels and the result has a good picture quality (FusionHDTV has the option of selecting an external MPEG2 decoder like from your Cyberlink player). I also need the ability to record the native transport stream and FusionHDTV provided an XVID convertor (free so I'm not complaining). How is the quality of the silicon tuners and do they switch slower?

Has anyone had a FusionHDTV card and bought one of the cheaper/newer cards from Haupauge and Avermedia?

Any suggestion for freeware/3rd party windows software (64bit) that can display and record HDTV better than the budled software applications?

Thanks in advance!

i have 2 haupauge 1250s and they run great in win7 x64. they also ran great in vista.

what OS do you have, i would suggest win7 MCE for watching and recording tv, it blows away and of the bundled software.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
All digital tuner cards receive the digital signal from the source and they do not alter the signal in any way when their driver pases it to the program on your computer such as Media Center that records and/or plays it. There is some variation between them as far as signal sensitivity or sensitivity to multipath OTA digital signals.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Hi,

I had the same problem last year. I had two Fusion cards one a 3-gold and the other 5-gold, both were PCI. I decided in order to inprove reception I would buy another Fusion 5 Gold. After a little throught, I decided to get the Fusion 7 dual PCIe card and glad I did. The 7 dual card has no issues with signals droping out. So spend a few extra dollars and get the 7. For Vista Medial Center, go up on the internet and locate the Media Center 2008 TV Pack. The TV pack will fix the channel mapping problem and works great for both Over the Air and cable.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
***I'm going to hook the card up to Comcast cable so signal strength isn't a big deal.***

The Avermedia duet is the wrong product for you, there is no NTSC tuner for analog cable !!!

You need a tuner with NTSC tuners to record analog cable signal, the ones with hardware encoders tend to work best.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/18304335

***I'm going to hook the card up to Comcast cable so signal strength isn't a big deal.***

The Avermedia duet is the wrong product for you, there is no NTSC tuner for analog cable !!!

You need a tuner with NTSC tuners to record analog cable signal, the ones with hardware encoders tend to work best.

Sorry if that statement was misleading. I meant that I will be hooking up to digital cable and will be watching unencrypted QAM signals. Normally the signal quality on Cable for digital is sufficient strength so that you don't have to worry about signal strength. I have had some signal tearing in the past with my FusionHDTV5 (pixelation and jumpy audio with recordings) not sure if this is really with Comcast or my computer since I mainly see it when I record programs (after the fact and no way to check live signal).

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18304108

All digital tuner cards receive the digital signal from the source and they do not alter the signal in any way when their driver pases it to the program on your computer such as Media Center that records and/or plays it. There is some variation between them as far as signal sensitivity or sensitivity to multipath OTA digital signals.

If there are better tuners that can compensate this then I'd be willing to pay more for it, but it should be noticeable. I've heard about improved performance in multi-path environments, but not sure how that translates to Cable or if reception is always superior when compared to silicon tuner that don't have this. The FusionHDTV7 marketing touts the XC5000 silicon tuner as the "latest X2 tuner", but I heard that the tuner sometime has problems and doesn't work reliably. The Fusion is also 2x more expensive.

Then there is the "S5H1411 boasts a higher reception success rate than other devices in multi-path environments where signal interference is high". Or is it Conexant CX 23385 plus Samsung S5H1411? HDTV tuners aren't rocket science anymore. The hardware is becoming commodotized as we can see in the number of players offering solutions. I'm thinking if you can pick solutions with the same chips and a decent board layout you should have similar performance (see audio sound cards).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Embry /forum/post/18304241

After a little throught, I decided to get the Fusion 7 dual PCIe card and glad I did. The 7 dual card has no issues with signals droping out. So spend a few extra dollars and get the 7.

Have you had any reception issue as mention in the newegg reviews?

www . newegg . com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16815135001

"I purchased the card about a year ago. It has been nothing but trouble. While it technically works, it typically crashes after about 30 to 60 minutes. It also has serious problems with consistent signal strength, in that the strength drifts all over the place. That aside, the image sort of starts to “stutters” and eventually crashes. As of a few days it is completely dead. The message: “No signal.”"

---

As I'm doing my research on this I ran across the Ethernet based "SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital Tuner". Is it correct that there are several software packages (incl WinMC) that support remote viewing of an installed tuner over Ethernet. Is there a good overview guide for this somewhere? Is it correct that WinMC only supports one tuner and I have to use something else for dual tuners?

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
AVERMedia Duet whitebox card works flawlessly for me with WMC in Windows 7. Whitebox only comes with a driver, not DVR software. As mentioned by mike_311, WMC blows OEM software away anyway. Even my wife can schedule and watch recordings with WMC.

Willie

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Sfsillicon,

If you are going to be receiving clearQAM digital content and not OTA digital content then my coments about tuner sensitivity and multipath do not apply.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts