Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohlson
Are you getting a stable D65 to start with?

I notice that my shading on my lcd is very much affected by the color temperature control. My guess is that a good D65 calibration will make shading be less noticable.
I have found the exact opposite to be true, although this does depend upon many factors. These Pearls seem to be coming from the factory with too much blue and/or green at the Low temp setting. I say this based on the graphs I've seen of review units and the post calibration RGB gain/bias numbers of several users who have calibrated their Pearls.

To correct this problem, one usually ends up increasing the Red Gain (among other things). If you've got a pink discoloration on higher IREs, this will tend to make it more visible.

Also, keep in mind that blue is the wonder color that makes green and pink discolorations less noticeable, and that many of these Pearls are pushing Blue OOB. Meaning that calibration will tend to make the discolorations more visible.

All of my color issues were practically invisible on the High color temp, a bit more noticeable on Medium, and even more noticeable on low.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHoyaFan
I believe gremmy has reported some success in adjusting the 3D gamma controls by hand.
For those who are interested, my recent post in the Pearl calibration/tweak thread contains my layman's advice for calibrating the 3D gamma tables by eye, with the obvious caveat that it is impossible to achieve perfection without the proper gear. But yes, the bottom line is that I have been able to achieve significantly better uniformity (to my eye) with my slow, tedious, by-eye uniformity calibrations.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Does the Pearl's brightness uniformity change with throw distance / zoom? If so, is it better at short throws or long throws?

How does lens shift affect uniformity?

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h
This is sad to hear. I've watched several 4:3 and 16:9 bw films on my Pearl -- just watched Ed Wood last night -- and the uniformity has been impressive on my unit. It's a drag that Sony can't get this more consistent.
Indeed. I've seen none as well.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
gremmy

The black body curve gives us color temperature from warmer reddish to colder blueish "white".

Our white point is chosen of the curve a bit blue too boost brightness in old television sets.

Then we have Correlated color temperature (CCT). Something that is not a black body radiator which looks most closely like 6500K has 6500K (CCT).

We need to ensure that we have a low dE over the brightness from black to white to have a neutral gray.

1 Do you know that you have D65 with a low dE which is the same as color neutral gray.

I guess the best way to do this is with window patterns and test equipment.

Then color to snow fields is due to bad uniformity. If your white was not white to start with you would have greater problems. That is my point.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Quote:
Symptoms?
Nathan requested a description of the problem my Pearl showed. They were there from day one and consisted of such images cycling in and out, becoming less frequent and going away after 20-40 minutes of viewing, so it appears to have been heat related. I initially thought it might represent some kind of HDMI handshake issue but this was wrong. I also on one or two occasions got the 4-5 vertical bars on the left side of the image that have been reported elsewhere. Sony informed me this likely due to a circuit board problem. The pj was received by Laredo one week ago. I have been told repairs take an average of ten working days.

http://67.18.219.83/image_hosting/we...arlDefect1.jpg
http://67.18.219.83/image_hosting/we...arlDefect2.jpg
http://67.18.219.83/image_hosting/we...arlDefect3.jpg

Hoping I am the only Pearl owner with this problem,

Dan

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
Ouch Dan!

When did these symptoms start? I assume it wasn't doing this when you did your shootout with the HD81! ;)

Seriously, I hope you get this issue resolved with minimum hassle.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremmy
For those who are interested, my recent post in the Pearl calibration/tweak thread contains my layman's advice for calibrating the 3D gamma tables by eye, with the obvious caveat that it is impossible to achieve perfection without the proper gear. But yes, the bottom line is that I have been able to achieve significantly better uniformity (to my eye) with my slow, tedious, by-eye uniformity calibrations.
Gremmy most of us would be confirmed legally blind trying to do what you did. :p

I used googer's calibration numbers and have been blown away as it's now the only setting I use for both sports and overall viewing.

I saw some tinges here and there but everything is cool now. Will watch Sin City with no worries.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin
Ouch Dan!

When did these symptoms start? I assume it wasn't doing this when you did your shootout with the HD81! ;)

Seriously, I hope you get this issue resolved with minimum hassle.
Thanks for the moral support. The issue was there OOB, but would resolve itself after 20-40 minutes. By the time we got things up and running for the shootouts, it was gone.

Dan

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
Hmm. Now I'm scared. I have seen similar things on occasion on my Pearl -- though not for 30 to 40 minutes. More like for 1 or at most 2 minutes on startup and then either it clears up completely or it stops by I have those 4 or 5 vertical bars at the far left of the screen (that don't clear up until I power down, cool down, and restart).

Although I don't like it, I can live with it, in its current state. But your situation sounds more extreme. If mine get's worse, my projector is going to Laredo, as well.

I am thinking, but I could be wrong and more testing is needed, that my symptoms may be related to which input is active and what other devices are powered on, when the Pearl starts up. I'll report back if I find a consistent pattern. Note that this might take a while because the situation occurs less than 1 in ten times I turn on the projector anyway (so far).

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Nathan, why don't you try just going with one HDMI connection at startup to see what happens.

It could be some sort of negotiation issue.

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
I'll give that a try, but the first thing(s) I am testing is:

1. Have my pre-amp processor (that feeds one of the hdmi input) "ON" before starting the Pearl.

2. Don't start up the Pearl with the Component input selected.

The reasons for testing these conditions: Near as I can tell, when these things are true, I haven't seen this glitch. But that could be co-incidence, faulty memory, etc.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I have seen this too, but only when I am using HDMI via satellite. I have never experienced these issues with my Toshiba HD DVD player which is also connected via HDMI or Xbox 360 via component.

I figured it was a HDMI handshake issue.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I have 2 items connected via HDMI as well (satellite and HD DVD). No problems with HD DVD only on the other HDMI input.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Quote:
That's quite possible on my end. I have my Dish receiver connected via HDMI to one of the HDMI inputs.
Is it a Dish ViP 622?

There are widespread issues of the HDMI outputs on them simply quitting. Perhaps yours is on it's way?

I have one too, and am waiting for it to die.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Quote:
Yep its the vip 622. Dang, I didn't want to hear that.... though, luckily, the component output looks good, just in case...

On the other hand, I'd rather it be the Dish DVR with the issue and not the Projector.
May I suggest:

1) If your 622 is leased, call Echostar and ADAMANTLY demand another one. Don't accept any it's a software issue" nonsense from the CSR's.

2) If you own your 622, return it under warantee. Even if it's not under warantee, call and yell loudly.

3) Chime in at DBSTalk , and alternatively read up. (In a nutshell: it appears the issue is stress on the HDMI connector and the thremal cycling of the unit casing some leads to lift off the circuit board.)

Dish needs to acknowledge this problem and deal with it. Persistent folks have already gotten replacements.

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
Well, I'll try starting up the projector with the dish HDMI cable not connected for a while and see if that solve my problem. If so, I'll hassle DISH. It's a leased DVR.

Who knows, maybe this is an excuse to buy a receiver with an inserted firewire board and use the PC as my DVR.... The significant other probably won't find it easy to use, but she learns quickly.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.