1 - 20 of 629 Posts

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This seriously looks interesting.

Peerless by Tymphany STW-350F-188PR01-04 15" High Power Subwoofer

Product page:
https://www.parts-express.com/peerless-by-tymphany-stw-350f-188pr01-04-15-high-power-subwoofer--264-1652

Video review:

Optimum Cabinet Size
  • Sealed Volume 2 ft.³'
  • Sealed F3 42 Hz
  • Vented Volume 2.88 ft.³
  • Vented F3 24.2 Hz

Highlights
  • Massive 7.4" voice coil produces extraordinary low power compression
  • 2 Large aluminum shorting rings for better control and minimal harmonic distortion
  • Dual 8 ohm voice coil allow multiple wiring configurations including dual amplifier designs
  • Internal magnet structure provides more force from a smaller magnet
  • Lower Vas and Fs with higher BL for unmatched low end capability from the smallest enclosures
  • Extensive voice coil venting for quiet operation and increased power handling
  • Over 90mm of mechanical excursion prevents failure under the most demanding conditions
90mm of "mechanical" excursion but published stat is just over 10mm. :D

Specs used for the attached WinISD file.
The first WinISD is with the published 10.4mm excursion.
The second WinISD is with excursion set to the 45mm mechanical limit.
https://www.tymphany.com/wp-content/themes/pathfinders/cache/pdfs/STW-350F188PR01-04.pdf

Attachments

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Lol this again, it's been like two days since the last thread? :)

At least there's video now, but in a datacenter and can't hear anything. That does not look to be hitting the 45mm advertised one way xmax. The motor may have the clearance, but not the surround
Only 54 volts going in, may be amp limited there.

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol this again, it's been like two days since the last thread? :)

At least there's video now, but in a datacenter and can't hear anything. That does not look to be hitting the 45mm advertised one way xmax. The motor may have the clearance, but not the surround
Oh gheez, sorry.
I CTRL+F'd the first few pages of this subforum for "Peerless" and didn't find anything, so I posted up.

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I added a WinISD file to the OP in case anyone wants to play with enclosure types.
There are two WinISD files.
One set to regular published 10.4mm excursion (recommended).
And the second one set to the 45mm "mechanical limit" excursion.

·
Registered
741 Posts
perhaps this is a response to the new svs pb16 driver?
diy could make something similar, i would imagine svs has similar issues/benefits to the huge voice coil....?

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
perhaps this is a response to the new svs pb16 driver?
diy could make something similar, i would imagine svs has similar issues/benefits to the huge voice coil....?
Tymphany makes svs's drivers, so could be a design they chose not to use.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Big coils have a problem... they are heavy, especially if you try to make them have high excursion.

A 7 or 8 inch coil might be fine on a 24 or 33, but on a 15 it seems like a waste.

The LMS had a 4 and look at all the dents in the cone from going over 80mm.

The 24's have yhe surround for 90 or maybe even 110. It's about the size of a bicycle tire.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Now that I have watched the video, I can say that either:
1) his amp is rolling off below 20hz
or
2) this subwoofer is acting non-linearly down low.

Just based on the cone motion with Bass Will Destroy You, vs what I've seen my LMS-18's do.

He's not hitting those 10-20hz tones linearly, like I am here:

The difference might even be audible... even after considering camera mic roll-off.

Also, that small spider area has "questionable" abilities to reach 90mm's linearly, as does basket clearance...

It can probably do 90mm's, but only JUST, and with fairly high THD I'd imagine....

Out of all the ways to "add loudness", adding more excursion is the worst of the available options...
Going from sealed->IB->ported->horned is a better way.
Also doubling cones/coils + power/amplifiers is another good way.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It looks like one of those tiny 1.5" full-range drivers from computer/bluetooth amplified speakers that has literally been magnified/duplicated into a 15" size. Those tiny drivers have mmmassssiiiivveee coils/spiders/motors for their size, as does this Peerless one.

:D

·
Registered
51 Posts
I can confirm the driver can do Peak to Peak excursion in excess of 91mm,
the surround is not limiting, this would lead to excessive distortion,

a heavy VC is not necessarily a problem, excess Mms and 'dead mass' certainly is an issue, but remember that the more wire in the coil the more force.
high Mms helps achieve a low in-box tuning, there is no way around this.
the most intelligent way to add mass is to increase the VC wire length, as you are adding mass and force,

it's like engine weight in cars, a 200kg engine with 100bhp is going to be very slow, but a 200kg engine with 600bhp is another matter!

the huge force generated by this woofer allows it to achieve excellent low frequency performance in a box massively smaller than most other woofers.
although in theory a low displacement woofer will have lower THD (all things being equal) the fact that you don't have 20+ square foot of wood vibrating away is a huge advantage.
smaller boxes have a lot less panel resonance.
the other mitigating factor is the very long gap, this gives a very shallow BL curve which reduces distortion at realistic SPL levels,
it would be easy to give this woofer a published Xmax of 25mm but the performance in real world would be worse!

and yes 54v will be amp limiting, i have tested it at 115v per coil,

·
Registered
10,478 Posts
I can confirm the driver can do Peak to Peak excursion in excess of 91mm,
the surround is not limiting, this would lead to excessive distortion,

a heavy VC is not necessarily a problem, excess Mms and 'dead mass' certainly is an issue, but remember that the more wire in the coil the more force.
high Mms helps achieve a low in-box tuning, there is no way around this.
the most intelligent way to add mass is to increase the VC wire length, as you are adding mass and force,

it's like engine weight in cars, a 200kg engine with 100bhp is going to be very slow, but a 200kg engine with 600bhp is another matter!

the huge force generated by this woofer allows it to achieve excellent low frequency performance in a box massively smaller than most other woofers.
although in theory a low displacement woofer will have lower THD (all things being equal) the fact that you don't have 20+ square foot of wood vibrating away is a huge advantage.
the other mitigating factor is the very long gap, this gives a very shallow BL curve which reduces distortion at realistic SPL levels,
it would be easy to give this woofer a published Xmax of 25mm but the performance in real world would be worse!

and yes 54v will be amp limiting, i have tested it at 115v per coil,
Hi George,

Welcome to AVS

Maybe a disclosure that you work for Tymphany may be useful :)

The weight does matter, hence the low sensitivity. Not enough motor force was gained to offset the weight and efficiency suffered.

54v free air is quite a bit, though may not push this beyond xmax. I haven't modeled that. It would probably depend on the frequency.

How tall is the surround on these from the basket? None of the technical drawings have a dimension on that.

Would you mind sharing some of the klippel tests for this unit to give a better understanding of all around performance?

"although in theory a low displacement woofer will have lower THD (all things being equal) the fact that you don't have 20+ square foot of wood vibrating away is a huge advantage."

Also, not sure what you're trying to say here, the phrasing is odd. Building an adequately braced enclosure is trivial.

·
Registered
875 Posts
54v free air is quite a bit, though may not push this beyond xmax. I haven't modeled that. It would probably depend on the frequency.

Also not too sure exactly what you mean by this.

I'm very confused why you guys have this driver rated at a 10.4mm xmax yet advertise that it can go in a small enclosure and be pushed to 45mm. How small of an enclosure was it tested in while hitting these numbers and about how much THD was it producing?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 629 Posts