701 - 704 of 704 Posts

·
Registered
3,491 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Cool, a car with a wood-burning stove
Lol, I thought the same thing when I read that. Annnnnd look there's a Volvo... well Volvos are cast iron, so not unlike a wood burning stove.

Too much is extra hokey and going to be a no-go for anyone not a teenager
Hey, I still identify as a teenager (ask the girlfriend)! Now you have me interested in picking up an Audiocontrol PCA SIII. Sounds like my kind of bass!

You can easily build something flat to 10Hz. Just put a large subwoofer in a large vented enclosure. DIY low bass is not difficult to achieve if you're willing to sacrifice the space. If you're willing to sacrifice a little headroom to gain more space (use a smaller enclosure), EQ can get you there easily. Or you can just use a smaller driver.
I wouldn't necessarily say 'easy', but I would agree it isn't as difficult as some make it out to be. Large sub in large enclosure is probably the easiest recipe if you have the room for it. The lower you go in single digits the more expensive it gets if you want high output. The problem is really that flat to 10Hz needs to have a dB qualifier - at what dB level are we talking? Flat to 10 Hz at 65dB, or flat to 10Hz at 130dB? Where does your driver, port (if BR), and/or amp tap out? In my room with my system I am flat to 10Hz at at least 105dB, which is the loudest sweep I have run. It didn't hit the clip lights on the amp, so there is more in the tank, but at some point I'll run into port compression and won't gain any more output with the extra power. The top end will keep getting louder, but the bottom will stay the same. I may also hit excursion limits as well, maybe even before port compression sets in.

Porting lower in a reasonably large box increases port length exponentially until the 1st port resonance is in the middle of your target range, and box sizing to combat this will also increase similarly. That's why people usually choose to go sealed with many drivers, major amp power, and a Linkwitz Transform when you get to the single digits. But you need to choose your drivers for the task. High excursion, high power handling drivers work best for this if you are looking for high SPL single digits. One cannot just take 16 low Xmax drivers and stick them in a sealed box with gobs of power and expect to hit huge single digit SPL. You run out of excursion too quickly, and won't make use of the power you have anyway. A Linkwitz Transform is not a magical 'makes my subwoofer flat at all frequencies at the max dB WinISD shows at 100Hz' circuit. Just because WinISD says you have crazy SPL at 100Hz+ means absolutely nothing once you apply the LT. If you are working within the limits of your driver excursion, your output in the single digits is only as much as the WinISD Max SPL graph shows without accounting for room gain. Without more excursion available, you cannot produce higher SPL.

·
Registered
302 Posts
My wife speakers German.

Of what I can remember her saying...

He lives in his car, he got a permit for it, the exhaust pipe is 2 meters long (anybody want to guestimate tuning?) It helps keep him warm in the winter. He built it, he rebuilt it, and then rebuilt and rebuilt and rebuilt it....

That's all I can remember.

701 - 704 of 704 Posts