AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok now that I"m at $200 mark I start asking myself am I better off getting new phd vrx or a used tivo 3 with lifetime service, thx, 250gb drive, wifi adapater. They both have dual tuners and work with digital ota (my whole purpose of getting) only real benefit of vxr is it's 1080p and tivo 1080i. I'm guessing tivo has better interface but it's 8 year old hardware tech. For about the same money but lessor hard drive, no wifi, could get the tivo premier.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
878 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogan69  /t/1521943/new-phd-vrx-or-used-tivo-3-with-lifetime-service#post_24470160

wow thought for sure there would be some thoughtful discussion.

At this point I'm leaning towards premeir with lifetime

I might have left a comment but have no clue what a phd-vrx is. I can tell you the Premiers are excellent DVRs and the Roamios are even better.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
epivision prime dtv phd vrx.

Found a local premiere xl for $50 figured I would try it see if I like it.

I started out on the tivo 3 $250 -300 then figured it would be 8 year old hardware and found lots of problems with it. So then I decided to look at premeir. $320 with lifetime and then another $50 for wireless. And if I wanted one with a bigger drive now I'm $450-500.

So this if $50 and we will see how we like it for a month. If nothing else I'll have a cheap tuner.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the premier home. working on first month with 30 day money back guarantee so they say.

Probably won't keep the service at 19.95 per month. While i like the service it isn't worth that much money.

So a tuner and basic recorded it will be.

·
Registered
878 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogan69  /t/1521943/new-phd-vrx-or-used-tivo-3-with-lifetime-service#post_24479653

I have the premier home. working on first month with 30 day money back guarantee so they say.

Probably won't keep the service at 19.95 per month. While i like the service it isn't worth that much money.

So a tuner and basic recorded it will be.

I thought it wouldn't record without a subscription?

·
Registered
878 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives  /t/1521943/new-phd-vrx-or-used-tivo-3-with-lifetime-service#post_24480576

You can pause live TV without a subscription, but you can't schedule any recordings to occur when you're not there.

So it will record manually? as in push the red record button to start?

·
Registered
166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives  /t/1521943/new-phd-vrx-or-used-tivo-3-with-lifetime-service#post_24486942

Only non-HD TiVos (series 1 and possibly series 2) have VCR-esque functionality without the guide service. The recording ability is totally disabled without the service in current models.

It amazes me that anyone would ever buy a box so blatantly tying you into their walled garden.

And it doesn't even have "Apple" on it! 

·
Registered
878 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laridae  /t/1521943/new-phd-vrx-or-used-tivo-3-with-lifetime-service#post_24487830

It amazes me that anyone would ever buy a box so blatantly tying you into their walled garden.

If you want the best that's the commitment you have to make. My first VCR cost $800 so a $400 lifetime subscription on a $100 to $200 DVR that's a thousand times better than that VCR seems like a bargain to me.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laridae  /t/1521943/new-phd-vrx-or-used-tivo-3-with-lifetime-service#post_24487830

I don't understand it, either, but TiVo seems quite popular nonetheless.

·
Registered
166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric102  /t/1521943/new-phd-vrx-or-used-tivo-3-with-lifetime-service#post_24487892

If you want the best that's the commitment you have to make. My first VCR cost $800 so a $400 lifetime subscription on a $100 to $200 DVR that's a thousand times better than that VCR seems like a bargain to me.

Oh, I don't mind TiVo making a good box, charging a fair-market price for it and making a profit for their efforts and their expertise. That's the capitalist model and it works just fine.

But what I do object to is them deliberately hobbling it so it can't be programmed manually; it's useless without their program guide. That's just sharp practice to be avoided at all costs.

The fact that TiVo has such a huge following is very disappointing. As we used to say in the schoolyard "Never appease a bully"

Reactions: videobruce and kwg

·
Thread Ender
5,000 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laridae  /t/1521943/new-phd-vrx-or-used-tivo-3-with-lifetime-service#post_24511085

Oh, I don't mind TiVo making a good box, charging a fair-market price for it and making a profit for their efforts and their expertise. That's the capitalist model and it works just fine.

But what I do object to is them deliberately hobbling it so it can't be programmed manually; it's useless without their program guide. That's just sharp practice to be avoided at all costs.

The fact that TiVo has such a huge following is very disappointing. As we used to say in the schoolyard "Never appease a bully"

Basically they sell the TiVo hardware for a hundred or two, and the Lifetime Guide for 4 or 5 hundred. So your talking six to seven hundred total.

If they sold the hardware for 4 or 5 hundred and the Lifetime Guide for a hundred or two, six or seven hundred total, would that make you feel any better?

·
Registered
5,262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711  /t/1521943/new-phd-vrx-or-used-tivo-3-with-lifetime-service#post_24512970

If they sold the hardware for 4 or 5 hundred and the Lifetime Guide for a hundred or two, six or seven hundred total, would that make you feel any better?

...only if the guide was optional, most likely.

·
Registered
166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives  /t/1521943/new-phd-vrx-or-used-tivo-3-with-lifetime-service#post_24513129

...only if the guide was optional, most likely.
That's right. Thank you Aleron.

In my mind the hardware and guide service are two completely separate things and should not be bundled together. I know of no legitimate, technical reason why the box couldn't be programmed manually so any linking of the two is unnecessary and artificial and serves only the business model of the company, at the expense of the consumer. If I purchase a product it should work right out of the box without requiring me to buy any additional products from them.

In my case I've been setting my old Sony PVR manually for years using the TV guide in my local newspaper, so I'm fine with that. I don't mind paying a good buck for hardware, but I will not pay anything for the convenience of the program guide. TiVo is free to offer whatever they want, but I ain't buyin' and I'd advise others to do the same.

·
Thread Ender
5,000 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laridae  /t/1521943/new-phd-vrx-or-used-tivo-3-with-lifetime-service#post_24513817

That's right. Thank you Aleron.

In my mind the hardware and guide service are two completely separate things and should not be bundled together. I know of no legitimate, technical reason why the box couldn't be programmed manually so any linking of the two is unnecessary and artificial and serves only the business model of the company, at the expense of the consumer. If I purchase a product it should work right out of the box without requiring me to buy any additional products from them.

In my case I've been setting my old Sony PVR manually for years using the TV guide in my local newspaper, so I'm fine with that. I don't mind paying a good buck for hardware, but I will not pay anything for the convenience of the program guide. TiVo is free to offer whatever they want, but I ain't buyin' and I'd advise others to do the same.

So it seems that you would be happy if TiVo would simply sell their device for 6 or 7 hundred dollars, and include the Lifetime Guide.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laridae  /t/1521943/new-phd-vrx-or-used-tivo-3-with-lifetime-service/0_60#post_24487830

LOL, I see the usual suspects have resumed their Tivo bashing. Some things are nothing if not predictable.

Here's a clue - the box is sold with a service that enables DVR functionality. You can use it as a tuner with no DVR capability without the service, but if you want the box to do more than that you have to pay for the service. You wouldn't buy a cellphone and expect to make calls without paying for service (although you could use it for Wifi etc.). This is no different.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.